How to avoid temptation when you're constantly surrounded?

Options
I work in a company where the directors are very keen to offer perks. Which is great, but it means the kitchen on every floor is permanently stocked with more chocolate, cookies, crisps/chips, soft drinks, sugary cereals, brownies, flapjacks, pastries, white bread, jams, and various other things than anyone can possibly consume. There is occasionally some (limited) fruit, and wholemeal bread, but obviously temptation gets too much for me...especially after sitting around at a desk all day. They are all sitting out on the counters/stands as well, so even if I just go to get a glass of diet pepsi I just can't avoid them...

Today is my first day of proper healthy eating, and we've just had an email that pizza is going to be delivered to the office for lunch (they buy in pizza and Chinese takeout fairly regularly).

I don't want to sound ungrateful and I'm not in a position to request 'healthy' choices, but how on earth can I resist all this 5 days a week?! You'd think I'd get bored of eating crap, but nope...I am the kind of person who can avoid all the rubbish if I don't see it, so I deliberately don't buy unhealthy stuff when I'm out shopping. But being surrounded by all the free sugar is tough.

I have wholemeal pitta and tuna salad with me for lunch, but I'm not sure I'll be able to resist pizza. I need some tips for staying strong please!!

Replies

• sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    don't drink diet soda lol
  • blossomnu
    blossomnu Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Incredibly helpful. Thanks for that.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Convince yourself of this; it's easier to turn down when it's always there.

Imagine an office where there are NEVER snacks, not for months, then one day there is a plate of cakes. You'd be forgiven for being tempted as it's unusual and you don't know when it'll happen again.

But bucketloads everyday? It'll be there if you need it later, or tomorrow. Tell yourself this each time you pass and you'll soon realise that you have the will to continue. ;-)
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I find it helps if I change my mindset from "I can't have that" to "I could eat it if I want to, but I choose not to." It food less of a temptation/forbidden fruit thing.
  • acceber88
    acceber88 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Moderation is key. I have managed to lose weight even on weeks where I have eaten out or had takeaways. Just have one slice of pizza and then have a smaller dinner when you get home. The whole point of counting calories is so you can stay within you recommended amount. Although not particularly nutritional, even if you have the odd bit of "naughty" food as long as you stay within calories, it's okay.

Fill yourself up with healthy snacks from home. Fruit, veg, rice cakes, anything you like that isn't too full of calories. That way you will be too full to eat the crap.

At the end of the day it is down to willpower and that's something that if it doesn't come naturally you need to nurture. No easy way, just one you've said no once, it will get easier.