Can anyone explain this?

Options
I have been on MFP for about 2 months and have been pretty successful. I started doing more strength training this week because I have read that it helps your body with long term weight loss, toning, etc. BUT when I weighed in today I had GAINED WEIGHT instead of losing? Could it be from the strength training? I haven't done anything differently in terms of my food. Feel free to look at my food diary... any help is appreciated. I have lost 4" on my waist and hips since I started, but I would like to see the scale go down as well. :(

Replies

• whankammer
    whankammer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That's actually quite normal when you just start weight training. Your body is going to be holding onto water to repair your muscles. Once you do it for awhile it'll usually even it self out.
  • blanhe2
    blanhe2 Posts: 88
    Options
    Yes, this is normal. Keep at it and your weight loss will return soon enough as your body gets used to the new regime! Good luck!
  • shanteel612
    shanteel612 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Yep, like he said.
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    Drink more water and then some more!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Your body will retain water for muscle repair. When you are lifting for fat loss you need to think in the long term. Your weight will go down eventually but you should be focused on inches because that's where your real progress is.

The scale is a trending tool only. As long as the overall long-term trend is downward you're in good shape.

Consider changing your weigh in day to the morning after your rest day.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    That's actually quite normal when you just start weight training. Your body is going to be holding onto water to repair your muscles. Once you do it for awhile it'll usually even it self out.

1470452-end_thread_1_super.jpg
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Completely normal! It took about 4 weeks for my body to even out and start losing again, but it is different for everyone. You're going to look great!
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    It typically takes between 4 and 6 weeks to see weightloss in strength training situations. Drink lots water and pay a bit better attention to any sodium and you might see weightloss a little sooner.
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Daily weight fluctuations are normal and expected. I weigh in every day and track my weight but I focus on the 15 day moving average, as long as that's always going down I know I'm making progress.