Working out while sick

Whelp. I have bronchitis (or some kind of illness resulting in mucus covering my chest) and while eating isn't an issue, I really want to exercise. I want to swim, I want to lift. I've only had one form of exercise this week. I could walk and such and I will do that, but is it okay to work out while sick or is that a bad idea? Some people say it strengthens your lungs, others don't..

Replies

• farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Bronchitis is kinda serious. You don't want to rob your body of healing energy and use it for exercise energy. The gym will be there tomorrow.
  • mudonthetires856
    mudonthetires856 Posts: 79 Member
    My opinion is to take it easy & rest up. Your body is trying to fight the illness and you don't want anything to hinder that process.

I recently went through the same thing except my bronchitis turned into pneumonia. I didn't purposefully exercise (cardio), but anytime my heart rate went up, I coughed much more & began to feel very dizzy. I still lifted because I didn't want to lose any progress I made, but I went much easier on myself.
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    We're in the same boat -- I've got bronchitis too. Unfortunately its also that TOM, so I'm super hungry, and I shouldn't be exercising. I might try a light step workout with the wii fit after I get some medicine from the dr this morning. Otherwise gonna curl up with my daughter who's sick too and watch movies all day.
  • I had bronchitis and exercised through it. I asked my doctor and she said it was my call, that it wouldnt matter either way. For me it actually helped because it loosened up the phlegm and helped me get more of it out.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Don't! The general rule is to be careful and tone it down if it's above the neck, but to NOT exercise if it's below the neck. You don't want it getting more serious, then you'll be sidelined for longer!
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Oh decisions, decisions. I think when I start to feel well I'll take it easy on myself.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    No no no. If it's in your chest, you should not be working out. Your lungs have enough to deal with right now.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Don't! The general rule is to be careful and tone it down if it's above the neck, but to NOT exercise if it's below the neck. You don't want it getting more serious, then you'll be sidelined for longer!

^^^ This. Nasal congestion? Just take some sudafed, throw on a surgical mask, and power through. In the chest? STAY THE FRAK AT HOME, WE DONT WANT YOU OUTSIDE UNTIL YOURE NOT CONTAGIOUS ANYMORE, THIS IS WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE THINGS. :-)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    The general rule I've always heard is that if it's in your chest, you shouldn't work out. And if it's an infection, you shouldn't work out. So if it's definitely bronchitis, I'd take a few days to rest. Your body is already working overtime to make you better - why stress it out even more? Get lost of sleep, drink lots of water, drink tea, take your vitamins, eat well and get more sleep.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    You've got bronchitis?? Ain't nobody got time for that! :tongue:

Ya, I'd take a break from the working out. Let your body focus on the bronchitis.
  • elm57
    elm57 Posts: 15 Member
    I opted to rest this time. It really helped speed up my recovery. BTW Good job on the weight loss!!!!
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    I am just finishing up an asthma flair up. I have been upset for the last two weeks because the doctor said "no exercise" plus I ended up on prednisone. She said "your body is working extra hard to breathe through the congestion (which can result in heart failure); it is also working hard to heal itself." If you monitor your blood pressure you will probably see a higher than normal reading so don't put additional pressure on your respiratory system.
  • Me48Plus2
    Me48Plus2 Posts: 73
    I ALWAYS worked out at the onset of sickness. The boost increases your immune system. As such, the ill feeling would never progress to a real knock-down sickess. As a result, I don't get sick :)

Since you are already sick, exercise will still boost your immune system and you will feel better fast . Just don't overdo, if you feel crappy doing it, then stop, you could be too sick at this point to stress your body more. As you start to feel better, start easy then progress.

Hope you feel better :)
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member

^^^ This. Nasal congestion? Just take some sudafed, throw on a surgical mask, and power through. In the chest? STAY THE FRAK AT HOME, WE DONT WANT YOU OUTSIDE UNTIL YOURE NOT CONTAGIOUS ANYMORE, THIS IS WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE THINGS. :-)
    ^^These^^

Especially cardio.