strength training at home newbie

Options
Hi. I am doing the walking and some sit ups but realize I need to add strength training. I'd appreciate any advice on best items to use at home (without breaking the bank). And, some exercises would be great. Thanks!

Replies

• Lady_C_the_1st
    Options
    There are loads of websites that give great workouts that don't need much, if any, equipment, i personally love womensfitness.co.uk - you need to sign up but it has a huge bank of workouts and they are easy to follow and well explained.

Definitely worth checking out.

xx
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I really recommend ChaLEAN Extreme from Beachbody. You can go to www.muffintopnomore.com to check it out. And there are ways to get 10% or even 25% off the cost.
  • ericaquin
    ericaquin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Check out your local library FIRST. My library allows us to look online for things such as exercise dvd's, place the request and pick it up when it comes in. I also do the same thing with Netflix. This way you can try things out, see what you like and what kind of strength programs you can commit to before spending money.
  • littlecompton
    Options
    Great tips! Thanks.
  • sendmoretigers
    Options
    push ups and planks, great overall workout, especially for your core, no equipment necessary, you can do 'em on the floor in front of the tv so no excuses!!!
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm also doing ChaLean Extreme, and I really like it. But it is a little expensive and you'll need to buy many sets of weights so all together it will be more costly. Jair Love has some great strength DVDs that are focused on solely on strength, Jillian Michaels and Jackie Warner are great too. Those are just some of my favorites. Getting those DVDs and a set of dumbbells are the greatest workout investments I've made so far! Resistance bands (although I don't like them as well as dumbbells) are great too when you're looking for resistance and not wanting to spend as much. But like others said, you can find many moves online too.
  • fietsdebbie
    Options
    Exercisetv.tv has lots and lots of routines to follow for strength, cardio, general fitness, yoga. I download them on my computer - the free ones which are plentiful. They can get you started and give you some variety.