small but exciting progress after 18 week plateau

Options
I know this isn't a big deal, but it was for me. I've always been pretty active, but last year I gained some weight. So, back in August I dedicated myself to getting back to the old me- the healthy, active me. I was doing great, and lost 20 pounds in 20 weeks. In December 2009 I reached one of my mini goals---to get to my "pre married" weight. But, after that it didn't seem like any more weight wanted to come off. I was working out 6 days a week (cardio & strength training), I was eating healthy and even cleaned up my eating even more. I was doing soo many things right, so I just couldn't understand why I wasn't losing any weight. 18 weeks went by...(18 WEEKS!) and I still hadn't seen any progress. I asked some great friends on MFP what they could suggest and many just kept encouraging me and suggested that I start working out in the early morning instead of at night. I am no morning person by any means, so this was a challenge for me. But, I was willing to try to see if it would help. I made a goal to get up at 5am at LEAST 4 days last week, which I did...and that in itself was an accomplishment for me. But, I was so incredibly happy when I stepped on the scale on Saturday and saw I lost 2 pounds! I hadn't weighed myself in 2 weeks prior, because I didn't want to get disappointed. Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke...I weighed myself on Sunday & Monday (I usually only weigh in once a week)....and...wa-lah--- the 2 pounds were still gone!!

Sometimes we work so hard and do everything right but we don't see results, but I think the important thing is to never give up, and that is what I've learned through the last 4 months of hard work & determination. I knew that even though I wasn't seeing the results, I definitely wasn't going to give up because my body was feeling so good! It loved the healthy food I was putting into it, and it loved the exercise it was doing. I've had more energy, sleep has been amazing, and my confidence is back.

For those that are struggling and losing weight very slowly...don't give up. I kept telling myself throughout the last 4 months that the positive side was that I hadn't gained any weight. I had a friend tell me I looked great, and then I started complaining to her about not losing weight in the last few months...and she made a great point--- sometimes we focus too much on achieving the ultimate goal that we forget to embrace the changes we've made in our lives and the progress we've made. So, I took a step back...looked in the mirror...and smiled at the progress I've made and the journey that lies ahead.

Replies

• mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    What an inspiring thing to hear you kept going. It's so hard to not see the scale move in the right direction that for me it's so easy to give up. Props to you for pushing yourself to keep going!
  • skinnyjess00
    skinnyjess00 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This is so exciting to read about! I hit a plateau about 6 weeks ago and I've been extremely frustrated by that. I hope I see the same kind of progress that you have! Congratulations and way to work hard! It reminds me not to give up and to remember how far I've come already.
  • bbblue92
    bbblue92 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    In the same boat with the plateau . . . it really gets discouraging...I've been losing and gaining the same @%$* 2 lbs for the past 4 weeks! I can't imagine 18 weeks! I'd be done by then . . . but good to see that sticking it out really made a difference for you!
  • sleitner
    sleitner Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your story. It has been reassuring to hear as I too have been at a plateau for a few months. I haven't gained and I do consider that an accomplishment but still feel frustrated at times. I will take your advice and not give up and I will take the advice your (smart) friend "sometimes we focus too much on achieving the ultimate goal that we forget to embrace the changes we've made in our lives and the progress we've made".

Congratulations on your current success and that in the future!
  • Hopey1994
    Hopey1994 Posts: 307
    Options
    What a great inspiration! I've been struggling for about 6 wks now and know I will get through it, and it's good to see light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks so much, and congrats on the 2 lbs!
  • xdudeitsliz
    Options
    yay!! that is awesome:) such good progress after so long!! keep it up girl!!
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    That's awesome you broke through your plateau. 18 weeks is a long time to stick with the program and not see any results. I haven't seen any progress in about a month now, but I know that's my own fault. I've fallen off the eating-right wagon. But I'm trying to do my best and be greatful for how far I've came rather than how far along I *wish* I was. Thank you for sharing your story, and your friend's insight was a good point to make as well!!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! :flowerforyou: I wasn't going to share the story...but I'm glad it gave motivation to those who are also going through plateaus or little stumbling blocks with their weightloss/lifestyle change. Keep up the hard work and it will pay off!! Even if it takes 4 months....haha! (Let's hope not!) :laugh:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!