Strength training advice - complete newbie!

Options
Hi all,

Background: I started losing weight in December 2011, I lost 23lbs between then and September 2012 just through running and eating better. I completed a half marathon in Sept 2012, then training halted and I've put on 11lbs since then. I've got another half marathon on Sunday but the weight doesn't seem to be shifting this time around and even before when I was at my lowest weight I still had a bit of a spare tyre. Running is the only exercise I do and I am not very strong (I can't do a press up without being on my knees and I can't do any chin ups!)

Question: I keep seeing that strength training is a must to change body shape and tone up but I have absolutely no idea where to start! Running is the only exercise I have been doing so I could really do with some pointers on what to do and where to go for some good workout routines for beginners. I'd really like to use the strength training to improve my running times as well.

Can anyone help?

Replies

• chica6578
    chica6578 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    im having the same problem, i want to do strength training too. But i Dont do high intensity cardio workouts either. I usually just walk about 2-3 times a week. i want to increase the days but i'm sort of a pokey type of person. i dont liked to be rushed into anything lol. i guess im stubborn. but i do love to learn and try new things until i find something i Like. I found that i really like body weight strength training. so if anyone has sugguestions for that i would appreciate it too.

Thanks !!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What do you have access to? Gym? Home weights? etc.

Also, strength training is great, but it won't mean a hill of beans (for you) if you're eating isn't in check. If you're not losing weight, it's because of your eating, not your workouts.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You will get a lot of advice on this subject!

Since it sounds like you will be working at home, I suggest resistance bands. You can even take them to the park if that is where you run. Just like people will tell you to skip the pink and purple dumbbells, get resistance bands that will challenge you. There are plenty of videos online to give you ideas about using them.

Another place to start is body weight exercises - good old fashioned squats, lunges, push-ups... No equipment required.
  • ramonafrincu
    ramonafrincu Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    somebody advised me to do body weight exercises from nerd fitness.
  • bangersnmash1990
    Options
    Thank you for your advice! I will mainly be working from home so body weight exercises sound like the way to go. I have just downloaded the GAINfitness app and that has a lot of ideas on it so I think I will try to build my own routine from that and the nerd fitness exercises.