I grew an inch?

Options
I had a bod bod assessment done last week and to my surprise I was a whole inch taller than I've thought myself to be my whole life.
We chalked it up to better posture or decreased compression on my spine due to weight loss.

Has anyone else experienced a change in height?

Replies

• ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i haven't personally, but i have heard of people becoming taller once their posture is better due to exercise such as lifting weights or cardio.

you don't realize how much you slump until you get more muscles! i sit up very straight now.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I had NO idea what was going to be here when I clicked on it...but that is really cool! :laugh:
  • otterish
    otterish Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It happened to me when I was 35 years old. Until this minute, I never associated it with fitness but the timing does make sense.
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    YES!!! I gained 3/4 of an inch!!! (and when you start at 5 feet, 3/4 of an inch is huge!!) they said same thing - better posture/better muscle tone etc...don't care how it happened...I'll take it!!!
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I went for a health check the other day & am down half an inch.....OMG, I'm shrinking!!! :laugh:
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    That is awesome and it gives me hope. I lost an inch in the last year.
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Not personally (though at 5' 3", I wouldn't mind!), but I recently read an article about a couple women who lost weight and did Yoga frequently and they both "grew" an inch or so. Kind of cool!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I need to check this out. I may have finally earned that 1/4 of an inch the doctor refuses to give me!
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I jumped from 5'10" to 6" when I was 24 and lost 90 lbs in a year.

Sadly, I shrunk back to 5'10" and did not grow again to 6' when I lost down to 215 this time...
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Lose of weight from torso decreases downward pressure on uper and middle parts of the spine, which means it takes longer amount of time throughout the day for your spine to compress.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    This thread wasn't what I expected...
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    pleasedontletmegrowpleasedontletmegrowpleasedontletmegrow
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    you stole my inch and I want it back :(( ... I used to be 5 7 ..... I reached 35 and shrunk to 5 6 .. Im hoping when I lose my weight I gain it back again :(
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    i grew an inch, then I finished and I lost it.
  • sukifr
    sukifr Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yeah it happened to me too!!

I damaged my spine about 8 years ago and have gradually shrunk since then. I was 5'4" before the accident and had shrunk down to 5'2" before I joined MFP.

however since joining MFP in November 2012, I have grown 2" and am back to normal!!

I put this down to the type of exercise I do, and the fact that my spine isn't under the same amount of pressure since I have been losing weight. I also don't suffer as much with backache (only when i over do it!)

So yeah I'm your growth twin :-)

Hi!!!:flowerforyou:
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I hope that I don't get any taller...i'm already almost 6'...last thing i need is a growth spurt in my 30's....lol :)
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I witnessed this.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'd always thought I was 155cm tall, but when I was measured at the hospital, apparently I'm only 154cm tall.
  • ReclaimingSarah
    ReclaimingSarah Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yep. I gained an inch after a year of pilates in college. Granted, I may not have finished growing, but I was the same height from fifth grade until my second year of college.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I witnessed this.

Snarkarella, it was cold and I was just getting off the flu, I thought all was forgiven?