Replies

• Bxgell2
    Bxgell2 Posts: 30
    Options
    This is what running did for me... along with better eating habits:

75bf8ee1-9130-4bca-8ae5-335930bb3146_zps96aa3d62.jpg
    19980352-1d23-4a20-a9d7-326c1b63057b_zpsde6fb889.jpg
    31344ab3-ddcf-42ff-ae10-c17772ceeccd_zps07ae6ff4.jpg

The top photo was in August, when I was only walking to stay in shape. The same week this photo was taken, I started a running regiment, 3 times a week, for 30 minutes, slowly building up to a distance of 10 miles on my long run on the weekend. Not only have I lost just about 20lbs, but my entire body has morphed. My legs are smaller but more muscular, my side abs are starting to show and my arms got much, much smaller.

Three weeks ago I started lifting and pilates, which have made a TREMENDOUS difference in my endurance...

Edited to add - one major downside though. My boobs are gone. I mean, seriously... GONE.

Nice now this is what I am talking about! Well done and you look HOT!!!! thanks for responding.

Thanks :) Like another poster said, though, I think the most impact comes from eating right. I used to run, a few years ago, and NEVER looked like this. My body only really changed when I concentrated on eating the right way...
  • stefanieanne14
    stefanieanne14 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Whats a 10K marathon and 5K marathon?

5k marathon = 5k where you get lost and run an extra 23.1 miles.

10k marathon = you really, really suck at following courses, get lost again and run an extra 20 miles.

Thank you...just, thank you.
  • TheMirror
    TheMirror Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    running is the best exercise you can do. id run if you can do
  • Lovlilyn
    Lovlilyn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    NONE. Sorry to disappoint. I lost 95% of my weight (around 65 pounds) before I started running over a year ago. Ive lost around 5 pounds since my miles went down and quit running so much.
    *I am always hungry when I run, I cant seem to have a decent deficit.

I actually plateaued once I began running around 20 miles a week, Been plateaued for a year, while training for triathlon last summer and training for a full this spring. I just developed ITBS, which has forced me to stop running for now: I am taking this time to lose the last 10 pounds that have been plaguing me.

I tell people running is awesome for maintaining loss and having a KILLER fitness level, but NOT for losing the weight. This has been my experience and others that I know of.

Wow, I bet this is my problem. I added running to my work out beginning in December, and I have only lost 6lb in 12 weeks - I go up and down and won't be surprised if I gain 2 lb next week. Maybe I should go back to walking . . .
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Following thread because I'm mainly doing treadmill, am up to 11-14 miles a week since starting by walking 15-20 minutes a day New Year's Day. I feel hungry some days post-run. I read a lot last night that I need to add like a banana right before my run, and some peanut butter or protein after. I am going to try these adjustments to see if it helps. I'm still feeling sore after runs, so I think it's worthwhile to continue, and am seeing inches drop around my waist. I am adding in abs and arms and a DVD when I don't feel too sore from running (not often the last two weeks). I've gained inches in muscle on my weaker side (arm, calf), and losing fat in my upper inner thighs. Seems to be working going into month three. I am looking at some cross training because I'm starting to work through knee pain. Thanks for adding to the tread...new ideas and thoughts always help get us to the next place!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    NONE. Sorry to disappoint. I lost 95% of my weight (around 65 pounds) before I started running over a year ago. Ive lost around 5 pounds since my miles went down and quit running so much.
    *I am always hungry when I run, I cant seem to have a decent deficit.

I actually plateaued once I began running around 20 miles a week, Been plateaued for a year, while training for triathlon last summer and training for a full this spring. I just developed ITBS, which has forced me to stop running for now: I am taking this time to lose the last 10 pounds that have been plaguing me.

I tell people running is awesome for maintaining loss and having a KILLER fitness level, but NOT for losing the weight. This has been my experience and others that I know of.

This

If you want to lose FAT, strength train, lift heavy.. cardio is mainly for additional conditioning.
  • RunningMom42
    RunningMom42 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Running is my primary cardio but I try to strength train a few times a week with DVDs like Biggest Loser Boot Camp, Power Sculpt and 30DS. I started with a Couch To 5K and I'm now up to 8 mile runs. I'm still super slow but I keep setting new goals for myself and crushing them! My next goal is to finish a 5 mile race in under 50 minutes. I'd like to run a half marathon this fall.
    I'm down over 40 pounds since I started in August 2012. I am addicted to running and get frusterated with other workouts because I don't burn as many calories. I only get a few hours a week to myself and I have to make the most of the time.
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a marathon. I've lost 8lbs so far. Abaout 1 lb a week which is all I'm really after. I also strength train one day a week. I'm active minimum of 6 days a week lots of times 7 days a week, and I run 5 days a week. Active meaning, I skate, swim, bike, walk etc. along with my workouts - have to keep up with my active boys :)
  • misfitswayoflife
    misfitswayoflife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    couch 2 5k changed me completely. I could barely run for a minute and I got up to 10 minutes straight before winter hit. I will not winter run and I'm scared of treadmills. as soon as the snow melts I'll start again
  • Jennifergodden
    Jennifergodden Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started running Jan. 14, 2013. Eating proper and running5 miles every three days I'm down 11 pounds asof last week. Being motivated at h.ome and the workplace has encouraged me to sign up for a 5km fun run and a 10 mile road race ( i' m in it for the fun of it)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!