on getting enough sleep....

icimani
icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
I know...I know. There will be lots of people who argue that they're doing fine and losing weight on __ hrs of sleep and the only thing that matters is calories in/calories out. From what I've seen here, the people who say that seem to be people who don't have a lot of weight to lose. For those of us who do have a lot to lose - it seems like more and more studies are coming out that suggest that there's a correlation between not getting getting enough sleep and obesity. And before I get jumped on about how correlation doesn't equal causation, I agree. But with all the incredibly crazy things that people try to lose weight (cabbage soup, drastic 500cal/day that make you feel miserable, and oh yeah... tapeworms?!), you'd think that increasing your sleep would be an easy thing to try.

From NPR: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/03/01/173150812/sacrificing-sleep-makes-for-run-down-teens-and-parents
Over the long term, a lack of sleep can influence appetite, nudging a person to reach for more empty carbohydrates and sugar. [bold]Inadequate sleep also seems to send a signal to our bodies to store more fat.[/bold] A recent study found that sleep deprivation reduces insulin sensitivity, setting the stage for a range of metabolic problems, including Type 2 diabetes and weight gain.

"We have a growing body of literature that ties weight gain to our 24/7 society and inadequate sleep," says Emsellem.

For now, most of the data come from studies of adults. But researchers have begun to find correlations with children and adolescents, too.

Replies

• bipsqueen
    bipsqueen Posts: 57 Member
    I am a firm believer in getting enough sleep. Losing weight correctly is all about changing your lifestyle and becoming more healthy. When you have enough sleep, you will have more energy and be able to work out better. I have made a conscious effort to get at least 7 hours of sleep a night since I've been on my journey. I do believe it's made a difference.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    Here's an article on it that I contributed:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/422002-the-no-bs-fat-loss-thread?hl=the+no+bs+fat+loss

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    I have to get enough sleep - at least seven hours a night, preferably 8 or 9. It's one of the things I really try to maintain, especially during the work week. It frustrates people sometimes because I turn my ringer off but it's important to me to be rested and I think it does help with weight loss.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Great post! I think this is something people tend to forget at times.

Weight loss is about calories in / calories out, of course, but you are correct that a lack of sleep can have an impact. Fatigue can mess your hormones and make you hungry. Sure, you can ignore it and still eat, but it just makes the "calories in" part a little harder. And since fatigue can also affect your performance and/or will to workout, the "calories out" can also be affected.

You can lose weight on too little sleep, but you'll like be a lot happier doing it well rested.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    I agree. Lack of sleep -- and stress, too -- have both been shown to have a correlation to weight gain and difficulty in losing weight. Part of that has to do with motivation (who wants to work out when exhausted?), but body chemistry is more than calories in/calories out.

Body hormones affect weight loss and gain, and sleep and stress both affect hormone levels.

That said, I often don't get enough sleep, personally. I'm like a five-year-old that resists bedtime.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    The other side of it, because this is correlation, is that it needs to be looked at from a flipped perspective. The weight issues may be causing or contributing to the sleep issues. I have a sleep disorder and it has been much easier to manage now that I have lost the weight.

I am not saying that you or anyone else shouldn't try to get more/better quality sleep. I am just saying that it may be harder when heavier IYSWIM.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,722 Member
    I sleep 8-9 hours a night :)
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Thank you so much for this article! Since i started my new temp job which requires me to wake up at 6:15 for my commute, I've only been getting on average 5-6 hours of sleep per night. This makes sense why i always want more carbs and sugars and though instinctively i know im not "truely hungry", my stomach feels empty yet i never feel satisfied when i eat.

But to get adequate sleep I would have to sacrifice gym time. As it is, I cn only get to the gym 3x per week, spending 1 hour on cardio and 30 mins to an hour on weights. BUt because I have to rely on public transit, this gets me home at around 9 or 10 pm and then somehow or another i dont end up getting into bed until midnight. Is it worth sacrificing the gym time?
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    I seem fine if I get at least 6. Less than that and forget it - do not expect me to be fully functional.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Thank you so much for this article! Since i started my new temp job which requires me to wake up at 6:15 for my commute, I've only been getting on average 5-6 hours of sleep per night. This makes sense why i always want more carbs and sugars and though instinctively i know im not "truely hungry", my stomach feels empty yet i never feel satisfied when i eat.

But to get adequate sleep I would have to sacrifice gym time. As it is, I cn only get to the gym 3x per week, spending 1 hour on cardio and 30 mins to an hour on weights. BUt because I have to rely on public transit, this gets me home at around 9 or 10 pm and then somehow or another i dont end up getting into bed until midnight. Is it worth sacrificing the gym time?

I found I had too, for a long time. But I have a relatively severe delayed circadian disorder to contend with. I don;t know if I would sacrifice gym time, but better planning might help you get into bed sooner when you get home.

Also, you might try blue light blocking lenses to wear during your evening commute to kind of tell your body it is in fact night time. All the light might be keeping you up. I got mine from Noir Medical.
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member

I found I had too, for a long time. But I have a relatively severe delayed circadian disorder to contend with. I don;t know if I would sacrifice gym time, but better planning might help you get into bed sooner when you get home.

Also, you might try blue light blocking lenses to wear during your evening commute to kind of tell your body it is in fact night time. All the light might be keeping you up. I got mine from Noir Medical.

The thing is, im tired already during my commute. and i fall asleep as soon as i get into bed. But i seem to take so long between 9 pm and then suddenly its 11 and im only just getting ready for bed. Ive started by making my lunches on sundays and that has helped. But i always find some chorse that needs to be done when i get home...like unload the dishwasher, do a load of laundry. and then i shower. WHat really takes up more time than i thoughti guess is my binges of standing in front of the fridge when i get home and eating and eating and eating.
  • I Just found this thread through a search.

I put most of my weight on a couple of months AFTER having a baby. Going back to work and having broken nights sleep was a killer. I can relate to the increased preference for sugary and carb-high foods mentioned in this article, I utterly craved them to keep me going. I also recognise that prolonged periods of sleep deprivation ruin my concentration and make me prone to illness and infections such as strep throat.

Now my son is 4 and a good sleeper, I still struggle to fit in enough sleep each night as I'm working full time and studying for an MBA. I have the snacking under control though. I'm just wondering if you aren't getting 8 hours a night, is it good for you to 'catch up' on a weekend or holiday. It certainly feels like that to me! Might this help my metabolism?
  • I do all sorts of weird stuff when I'm on little/no sleep. Like buy a $10,000 car that I don't really want. The sales man was cute and I probably hadn't slept in days. Sometimes having a busy lifestyle sucks. I can't for the life of me figure out how much sleep I need. I'm borderline sleep apnea so I don't stop breathing enough times to be considered to have obstructive sleep apnea, however, I had trouble breathing about 17 times in an hour o.0. Some nights (or days because I work nights) are better than others, but sometimes I could sleep for a full 24 hours before I feel refreshed.

It feels like a never ending battle. I need to sleep to lose weight and lose weight to sleep. Hay de mi! Which comes first the chicken or the egg?!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    When I'm tired, I eat more. Presumably for energy.

I think that's the correlation between weight and sleep.
  • Cavy1234
    Cavy1234 Posts: 28 Member
    I definitely see a bigger change in the scale when I get 7-8 hours of sleep per night. :)
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    I'm very careful about getting 8 hours of sleep a night although sometimes I don't. I have an evening meeting once or twice a month and can't shut my brain right down when I get home, for example, and sometimes I wake up an hour or so early and can't get back to sleep. I can definitely see the difference and I agree with the sugar craving- I didn't need a scientist to tell me that!
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Sometimes life just doesn't let you get enough sleep and i manage to cope with that alright. Who knows maybe i would be losing weight faster if i got more sleep on a regular basis but to do that i would have to start sacrificing things that are important to me again. So sleep deprived ill stay