Finally found out whats wrong with me!

I am 10 months postpartum and had been suffering from weird depression like symptoms since 2-3 months postpartum. I was moody, ALWAYS tired, gaining weight, always sick and there were a bunch of other small symptoms. It was ruining my life! I would go to work ,come home, hold my son for 10-15 mins, eat a quick unhealthy dinner and go to sleep. I would sleep whenever I got the oppurtunity. I went to 4 or 5 doctors multiple times and had my thyroid and some other things tested multiple times. Everything came back normal. Every doctor told me I was suffering from postpartum depression but I knew I wasn't!! I had suffered from depression when I was a teen and it did not feel the same.

The last doctor I visited did a bunch of tests and once again everything came back normal and she said it was probably depression. I finally told myself, yeah, it's probably depression and scheduled another appoinment to get some anti-depressants. We got to talking and she decided she was going to test my Vitamin D. And of course, the tests come back with the lowest Vitamin D levels she has ever seen! Finally I have a diagnosis!!! She put me on a very low dose of anti-depressants and 50,000 IU of Vitamin D twice a week and told me to start tanning.

I just started my vitamin D this week and feel a little better. I just hope it starts to work soon so I can start exercising again! I have NO motivation to work out. It's terrible! And all I want to do is eat!

I could really use some motivation haha.

Replies

• MazieSue
    MazieSue Posts: 3 Member
    mrslehan, I so feel your pain! Although I am easily old enough to be your grandmother (70), I too had children very early on in life, and have had bouts of depression on and off most of the last 50 years. I love the fact that your doctor is combining the low dose anti-depressant (I'm a retired RN) with the Vitamin D therapy. I'm not sure about the tanning. If you can sit outside in the sun shine for a few minutes, several times a day it would have the same effect, be cost free, and your little one could do it with you. I suppose you know that Vitamin D is made by your body with the help of the sun...so, stands to reason that the real thing is best. It always is!

A few years ago I had my thyroid removed. All the tests always came back normal, but I developed nodules. They did a biopsy, but it was inconclusive, but looked like it was a likely cancer. I say...get rid of it. I feel so much better!

I love young women your age. I have 12 granchildren and several of them are in your age range. If I can be helpful to you, please let me know. I will be following you on MFP. Would love to be your friend.

Hugs, Mazie
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    I truly hope this helps - many people, especially women, forget how important the simple things in life are, like the sun! We spend most of our time indoors, many of us under flourecsent lighting which literally sucks the life out of us. It's funny you mention Vit D & tanning as just the other day I was thinking when I tanned once a week at the gym, I was able to control my weight & moods SO much better. As I was thinking this, I stretched at my desk, leaned back & looked up at the flourescent tube lighting glaring back at me.. it was an AH-HA moment. I need more sun time, and if I can't get real sun, I need to get back to tanning once a week. I know a lot of people poo-poo that due to skin cancer, etc., but there is a balance and there is excess. If you find your balance & you eat clean & well, your body will repair itself & be healthier as well.

If you need motivation, feel free to read my profile & send an FR if you think I may be able to motivate & be a good influence :flowerforyou:
  • I would love to sit outside rather than tan, but I live in Iowa and she said the sun is not strong enough this time of year. Plus it has been snowing for a week straight..
  • minsch
    minsch Posts: 144 Member
    The snow multiplies the light.....LOL I live in GA but grew up in Iowa and the sun isn't strong enough here during the winter either. I feel your pain as I have dealt with depression for most if not all of my life. Tanning always made me feel better....however, my dad is now covered up in skin cancer so I skip the tanning beds.....I have heard of people wearing sunblock in them thou so they get the light without the bad.