Cardio and strength: best together or separate?

Options
I originally posted this on the fitness board but it dropped off the first page really fast, and I figure people might be more likely to reply here? If an administrator sees this please feel free to delete the other one!

I currently combine cardio and strength training in my workouts; typically I do about 15 minutes' worth of strength followed by 30 minutes of cardio. I don't really have enough time to work out for longer than 45 minutes a day, and I tend to work out 5-6 days a week.

As I am getting closer to my goal weight, I want to focus more on strength training. I enjoy cardio more, especially running, but I want to use my workout time in the most effective way possible in order to achieve my goal.

I want to rethink my workout schedule and am considering separating my cardio and strength training into different workouts so that on some days, I can dedicate more time to strength training and focus on it for longer periods at a time.

Is there any particular benefit to incorporating both cardio and strength in the same workout? Or is it fine to separate them? Or better, even? I don't want to make changes that will wind up being counter-productive.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Personally, I alternate. I do my lifting M-W-F, and run on Tu-Thu and Sat or Sun (depending on mood and weather).
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I was just discussing it with another member. I like to mix it up.

I usually do strength training 3 times per week and I add it to some cardio as well. So workout days include 2-4 miles of running or face paced walking total. But I do the cardio in intervals. So on the track to start I do squats or lunges with weight, then run or walk. Then squats or lunges again, the run or walk. I also mix in tractor tire flips. I use those core activies witht eh cardio. Then I head in for weights and standard strength training.

I try to do 5 or more miles on just cardio days.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Its highly individual and what your schedule and energy levels allow. What's most important is that whatever you schedule that you are able to stick to it. Sometimes combining the two can cause a net result of not doing enough of one or the other to your satisfaction. Where, separating the two helps you to get a maximum workout. Some strength training has a high amount of cardio built in but traditional lifting has in my opinion a minimal amount.

A lot of this really depends upon your current fitness level. For me as a long distance runner (for my cardio) I keep them separate but sometimes interject strength exercises on a cardio day just to jack things up a bit. Ex; pushups and pull-ups before showering in the morning.
  • mixedlollies
    mixedlollies Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you, this is helpful!
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Because my husband and I alternate days at the gym, I run AND lift on the same days. I spend 30-35 minutes on the treadmill and 30-35 lifting full body. If I can get in the gym on the weekends then I just do a 50 minute walking regimen that burns around 500 calories for me. :)