Skip the gym after a cold?

Options
I had a cold which lasted about a week, skipping the gym while I was sick. The runny nose and sore throat is gone but I still have a minor cough. Would going to the gym and maybe cut my workout in half have any ill effects or bring back a cold or should I wait til I feel 100% better? I’m feeling like a slug not doing my workout.

Replies

• lydia_the_tattooed_lady
    Options
    My advice: if you're really congested and feel like you can't breathe well/you're coughing a lot, then skip the gym. Straining your lungs isn't going to help them. If it's just a light cold, then go for it. :)
  • NicholeElizabeth92
    NicholeElizabeth92 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I never go if i'm feeling sick. i take the time to recover from workouts, eat right, drink water, and get a lot of sleep. I find that after this I actually can push myself harder at the gym because of the rest that I have had since most of my days are at least 14 hours long (i'm talking about going to class, work, and the gym nothing else that i have to do)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    My advice: if you're really congested and feel like you can't breathe well/you're coughing a lot, then skip the gym. Straining your lungs isn't going to help them. If it's just a light cold, then go for it. :)

This, if you plan on doing cardio.

Lifting might be ok though.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think it will do anything as far as "bringing back your cold" with the exception of taking the risk other sick users might not wipe down the machines. So, if you don't, already, it may be an idea to use the wipes before using a machine, at least for a brief time while your body catches up.

You'll also want to be sure to wipe things off after using them, lest you be thought of as the jerk who not only left his sweat all over, but was coughing too.

As far as working out, I will usually let my body naturally decrease the intensity, but if I'm able to go, I go. Sometimes, you won't know until you're there. I was fine doing a slow, long-distance jog this morning, but I tried doing high speed intervals yesterday and hit a brick wall within a few minutes.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    I don't even skip the gym when I HAVE a cold. I find that workout out actually helps clear out congestion and makes me feel better. I do reduce my weights and my intensity, but I still go, and I never regret it. I think my colds clear up faster than they used to actually. I would skip the gym if I had a fever or the flu or something more serious though, but not for a runny nose, cough and congestion...just my opinion. :)