How do you deal with this.?

Options
Ok I am on my first week of dieting and I do really good when when I am by myself or with hubby.. But when my son or daughter and I get together they always want to go out to eat and of course they pitch the worst places for a dieter.. So when I go I free like I can eat like a mad woman.. How do you all deal with eating out and people who always want to go out

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I always check the nutritional menu on line before I go, if they don't have one, I choose chicken or fish and veggies or something like that.
  • suzysweetpea
    suzysweetpea Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, go online and plan and check out what I am going to eat
  • mejackiev
    mejackiev Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank , I am am going to be going out to lunch next week end.. And I am trying to figure out what I am going to have to eat.
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If they have salad, I try to stick to it, as long as it's not loaded with cheese, nuts, etc. and the dressing is on the side.
  • DesignGrrl
    DesignGrrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Make a list for yourself of "safe foods" at the restaurants you go to. I figure though almost every place has a piece of grilled chicken and steamed veggies - that's my standby food wherever I go.

If they pick a place that's totally gonna blow up your diet, then casually suggest a place where you know you can eat and stay within your macros. When I finally got to where I could do that and my friends/family didn't make a huge deal about it, I felt a lot less stress about eating out. In fact, lots of times they would say, "You're right, that food's so bad for you even though it tastes good, let's go to where you suggested for something lighter."

Never know who you might influence! :)
  • ericachristie85
    ericachristie85 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Salads are deceiving. The Salmon Salad at Moxies it about 1300 cals. I say when in doubt stick with a chicken dish. I am crazy about online menu planning, its the best way to go.
  • stl_nana
    stl_nana Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, go online and plan and check out what I am going to eat

I too will plan ahead for eating out but my problem is gathering with friends at their homes where I have no control over what's being served. Also my worst issue when there is wine and it seems that there is always wine :drinker:
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat out often I say eat reasonably but enjoy it. How about a salad or vegies and a big glass of water before you leave so your not crazed with hunger?
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Plan what place to eat ahead of time and check the nutritional info.

Also cut any dinner in half and take the other half for tomorrows lunch or dinner.

I don't know if you have these but we have a place that's called Sweet tomatoes. It's a soup/salad buffet place.
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I stick with fish usually, and always change the sides to veggies or a side salad with dressing on the side.
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I remind myself how much more I want to lose the weight than eat anything tempting that is not in my plan.
  • Georgiafootballmama
    Options
    Yes, go online and research the menu options if possible. Decide ahead of time what you will eat if you can. If not, choose chicken or fish and ask it to be prepared with very little oil, grilled or baked ( stay away from blackened).

Drink a couple of glasses of water before you go to fill you up or eat some raw veggies so you aren't so hungry when you arrive. Stay away from the bread and butter and alcohol.

Eat a small veggie salad before the meal ( watch out for those extras like croutons, bacon bits, cheese, dried fruit, dressing).

Be careful of portion sizes, most restaurants serve very large portions so don't be afraid to ask for a doggie bag and take half home with you.

With planning and a bit of will power, it is possible to eat out and lose weight.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    When I first started on this journey, in January after trying and failing many times over I wouldn't allow myself to eat out anywhere except for Subway (I am always within my calories there). Eating out, especially with my children (they are little 5 and 2) is a trigger to ear bad food I enjoy eating.

Stick with grilled and steamed items. See if pastas, noodles, fries can be replaced with veggies. Stick to lean proteins such as fish and chicken. You can do red meats, even a burger and cut the calories by not doing a bun or not eating the bun. It all depends on your goals. Good luck
  • Dakryn
    Dakryn Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going to go out to eat, I eat what I want but only eat half.... I love chicken so that's usually what I try to get....but I love pasta more....so I eat half and have a salad first and I drink a full glass of water before I start on the main meal...the only appetizers I will usually eat are chips and salsa, but no bread or potatoes....I also limit myself for the rest of the day so I stay in my calorie range....my kids know that I'm trying to eat healthier so they want to as well....if I'm with my kids and they want McDonald's, I will eat fruit and yogurt, and the kids know if we have to eat there...that means an extra walk or playtime at the park!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    My family (especially my husband) loves buffets. I hate to cook. It's a lethal combination, but it CAN be done.

I pick maybe a couple of things I THINK will be lower cal than most things on the buffet, and do smaller portions.

I did a buffet yesterday and ALMOST blew it, but I stayed under goal. Had I not gone to my martial arts class last night though, I would have been left eating nothing but a carrot for dinner.
  • gapm
    gapm Posts: 48
    Options
    At some restaurants I ask the server to bring the box to take home left overs at the same time they bring the meal. I immediately put half in the to-go box, and eat the other half. It keeps me from nibbling after I am full. It helps the most at sit-down restaurants where the portions tend to be too large.
  • SMB3679
    SMB3679 Posts: 3
    Options
    My daughter does the same thing. What I do it talk to myself...LOL in my head the whole way there... Your getting a salad with some chicken on it or something is what I am telling myself. Then when I get there I make sure that I have the waitress bring water to the table ASAP so that I can drink several glasses during my meal to make sure that I am not starving. Once you sit down and get the menu, what I have coached myself on is this...Everything that I can eat is with in the first two pages. Meaning: All the small portions and salads are usually listed within those pages. DO NOT look at any other pages as it only leads me to start "day dreaming" about the burger that I really want! If you do give in, order a Turkey burger with out the bun and ask for something other than fries! Seems funny but it works!
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Planning ahead and looking at the menu online is a good idea, that is what I do.

But what about being honest with your kids and tell them that you are trying to eat healthier and have been wanting to try out this place __________ where you normally don't go? Or what about having them over for a home cooked healthy meal?

Most places do have some decent options though so just choose wisely. No burgers, no fried food. Pizza is okay if it's thin crust and topped with veggies. I eat mostly vegetarian and often the veg options are less calroies than the meat options but you need to be careful there too because mac and cheese can be vegetarian but I doubt it's ever low cal in a restaurant.

Soup and salad is usually safe if you get dressing on the side and a clear broth soup (not creamy).
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I've been dining out quite often and still losing a pound a week.

I go online to check to see if the restaurant has an online nutritional guide. Then obviously, pick the lowest calorie meals. If there's no menu/nutritional guide online, then just use good judgement. Don't order anything deep-fried (items described as "crispy" or "crunchy" are deep-fried) and avoid sugary, fatty things. Try to find menu items that have a lot of veggies. Choose grilled/roasted/steamed meats. And don't waste calories on sugary drinks... get a glass of water!

And I pre-log everything and keep track. If I pre-log a meal and know I'm going to go over my daily cals, I make sure to squeeze a gym session in that day.
  • libbybond
    libbybond Posts: 36
    Options
    I split a meal -