Help with items for lunch..PLEASE!!!!

Options
Hi--I am new to this site but am really liking it. I have an issue with lunch--that being that I can not find anything that I really like to eat that satisfies me. I like Subway but do not like to eat lunch meat too much. I love their Veggie Delight BUT I can't have that everyday!!! Any ideas? I work part-time so I have lunch at home most days...Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated...THANK YOU!!

Replies

• jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    I get flatouts. They are yummy and about 30 calories less than bread (not to mention carbs). Then I use morningstar farms grilled chik'n strips or chicken tenders.

From there I add any number of things. Hummus and feta, with lettuce cucumber and tomato.

Low fat cheddar and barbecue sauce.

Marinara sauce and part skim mozzarella.

Lettuce, salsa, low fat sour cream.

Basically any combo you can think of.

I LOVE these things. I used to do a lot of Lean Cuisines, but I feel like I get more food for the same calories with these. They're all around 300 calories or less.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Grilled chicken and veggies. A nice big salad with egg, chicken, olives, tomatoes, and cheese? It's hard to come up with ideas for low sodium non processed food LOL. I just eat my high sodium meals with a salad and a yogurt or a sandwich on a deli flat with a salad and yogurt.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I do salads a lot now that it has gotten warmer. But one of my staples is Progresso lite soups. The chicken dumpling is to die for. That with some low calorie bread and a couple slices of fat free ham I can get lunch for under 300 calories.
  • dbertram1117
    Options
    I love tilapia. I love to bake it in 1 Tbsp of Light Balsamic Vinagrette. Also, I have a great recipe for poaching it after marinating it in vinegar. It's delicious!

One of my favorite "quickie" lunches is tuna cheese melt. I broil my tuna and then place it on a slice of whole wheat bread with a little cheese on top. Delicious!!!
  • meggibson
    Options
    Cream cheese and thin slices of bread are good... Cream cheese is surprisingly low in calories:smile:
  • Tami22
    Tami22 Posts: 56
    Options
    THANKS to everyone!!! These are wonderful ideas!!!
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    i love flat outs too!! you can pretty much roll up anthing you want inside of it and it will taste eally good :laugh: one of my recent favorite combinations is spreading a laughing cow cheese wedge on the flat out and throwing any chopped fresh vegetables on there with black beans. if you add tomato, its juicy enough that you don't need a dressing. soooo yummy! and about 250 calories. if you use 1 flat out, 1/2 cup beans, 1 cheese wedge and veggies. you can also use chick peas, hummus, chicken strips, almond butter, salsa, cream cheese, pretty much anything.
  • kgilday
    kgilday Posts: 2
    Options
    I've been having Progresso soups when I get tired of salads. Some of the 'light' ones are about 200 calories for the whole can. The trick I found that makes it more filling is to add some veggies to it (either already cooked ones or frozen -- just add them before you boil the soup) . Add a slice of light bread sprinkled with olive oil and it's surprisingly satisfying.
  • schurchman
    Options
    I eat a lot of Progresso Light soups. The whole can has no more than 160 calories depending upon the selection, no msg and they are satisfying. Especially the ones with meat.
  • catlynna
    catlynna Posts: 7
    Options
    Extreme Pita best for lunch.. anything grilled is grilled with water.. I don't eat meat but love their small veggie pita with lite ranch.. small veggie pita is 187 calories and lite ranch 35 great satisfying lo cal lunch.. also very good its the southwestern vegetable from smart ones 100 cal the whole can :)
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I just found this recipe I am going to make for lunch next week...high in good carbs, good fats and good protiens so it should be filling and last longer....I might throw it in a pita pocket if I am really hungry.

http://recessionrecip.es/2010/04/12/chopped-greek-salad/
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese and fruit or yogurt
    cottage cheese seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic and topped with tomatoes and cucumbers!

and lean protein and a complex carb combo will do!
  • Tami22
    Options
    THANK YOU all again!!! I went to the grocery store and got many of these items to try this week. I really appreciate the help!!!
  • Tami22
    Options
    Look delicious...I just printed it out to try as well. THANKS!!!
  • sundine2
    sundine2 Posts: 5
    Options
    I found a really good tortilla wrap " extreme wellness" (I think)...anyway it is 71 calories with 12 grams of fiber /8 protein. I make a dijon spread with LF or FF miracle whip and dijon mustard. Spread it on the tortilla and then put 3 oz of chicken with some romaine lettuce and wrap it. I am stuck on these. I do a tuna salad or crab salad to in them .
    Check out Joy Bauers book called Your inner skinny. She is a registered dietician and her book is really good. So far I have lost 13 pounds in 5 weeks.
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    I get flatouts. They are yummy and about 30 calories less than bread (not to mention carbs). Then I use morningstar farms grilled chik'n strips or chicken tenders.

From there I add any number of things. Hummus and feta, with lettuce cucumber and tomato.

I LOVE these things. I used to do a lot of Lean Cuisines, but I feel like I get more food for the same calories with these. They're all around 300 calories or less.

What are flatouts?
  • highrise
    highrise Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Tortilla wraps are great - with some black beans and hot sauce, or pinto beans, or chicken. I try to make my lunch the most calorific meal of the day, because it's usually the only one I can actually sit and enjoy!
  • CaitlinEats
    CaitlinEats Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I will often heat a can of black beans mixed with salsa and dump that on a pile of romaine lettuce (though sometimes not the whole can). Sometimes I'll add frozen mixed peppers and onions to the black beans while I'm heating them, which makes it a bit more interesting. I get the warmth I'm craving, but it's very high-fiber and low-fat.
  • mythicals
    mythicals Posts: 70
    Options
    Lunch is always the biggest meal of my day.
    I'll sometimes have half a bowl of pasta, half a baked potatoe and a bagel.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options

What are flatouts?

A pretty yummy flatbread. They have a variety of flavors. I've had the multigrain with flax and the light italian. I like them better than bread, cuz A) they are fewer calories B) I really feel like I can do more with them that I wouldn't try with bread.

http://www.Flatoutbread.com/