Carbs

Options
I know there are multiple posts regarding the oh so lovely (and tasty!) carbs.
Currently, I am having difficulty keeping my carbs down, even below 200.
I follow a vegetarian, nearly vegan diet.
I work out 4-5 times a week; running and lifting -- work as an aide at the hospital (so move around quite a bit at work.)
Was wondering if anyone would be interested in glancing at my diet plan to see if I should be concerned with the number of carbs I'm taking in or if I am relatively balanced.
Thank you in advance.
Any tips are appreciated!

Sarah

Replies

• Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    Well, I'm a carnivore and a carb-lover, so I'm not sure I can help, but damn girl, you are smokin'!! Maybe carbs work for you?

Idk, I'm just sayin... ;)
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I was surprised to see how low your protein is- It may help to up your protein.

I get around the same carbs & protein each day (~140g). You could start having egg salad (greek yogurt, not mayo) wraps on low carb wraps (not sure if you eat eggs?) or make some bean salads (I make one using chick peas, fresh green beans, black beans, cherry tomatoes, garlic, olive oil & cilantro-yummy!). You'll still get carbs from a bean salad, but at least you'll get a dose of protein and healthy fats. Also if you're a fan of tofu (which i am NOT-yucky) you could easily incorporate that into a million recipes.

I'd be able to offer more suggestions if you weren't veg-o. I love me my salmon & chicken =)
  • sarahaldinger
    sarahaldinger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Appreciate it folks.
    I guess I'll just continue to monitor. Maybe get some more beans in.
    I've actually been surprised by my protein as of late too!
    Definitely need to up that.
    That bean salad sounds yummy!
    :)
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Keep off the red bull, its really bad for you. No doubt that will be whats upsetting your stomach, Rest of food is good.
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Babe, if that picture is you you totally don't have to worry about diet!! You look lean and strong, something I totally aspire to.

I'm a vege too and struggle to get enough protein. Cottage cheese is ok if you are doing dairy. In the uk, quorn is great.
  • sarahaldinger
    Options
    Red Bull is occasional as I switch from day shifts, to evening shifts, to night shifts due to school clinicals and working full time.
    I've actually cut back quite a bit on that!
    Haha.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Oh my golly, this thread has surely been written for me as I, too, struggle to keep my carbs down and am also vegetarian. I look forward to seeing other people's advice. Good luck with your own journey! x
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    PS Having seen your profile and your diary I don't really know why you are worrying as you look amazing and you eat incredibly healthily!!!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, spelt, soy, pea, or whey protein shakes, almonds, walnuts and other nuts, gluten based meat substitutes (like tofurkey, yummm), soy based meat substitutes (just made my daughter a veggie burger with pear and blue cheese, yum again), egg whites or whole eggs, chick peas, black beans, kidney beans, (and all other beans obviously, I keep veggie chili around and up the bean content), various lo-fat dairy products if you eat them. (In case someone looks at my food diary, my daughter is a vegetarian, I am not). If you're nearly vegan you are probably familiar with all this but I thought I would throw it out there. Btw, pea protein shakes are not as bad as they sound :).
  • sarahaldinger
    Options
    Pea protein... interesting. I'll have to give it a try! :D
    I keep hemp protein on hand.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Thank you! We do have hemp seeds around, but I will look for hemp protein!!!