Instead of ___, I eat ___

Options
This thread is about healthy substitutions. I am personally trying to substitute gluten-free items, but this is intended to be about anything that we all eat that could be substituted with something better.

For example:

What I eat: generic soft white sandwich bread. What I want instead: a good sandwich bread that is not wheat-based.

What I eat: creamy pasta. What I want instead: something healthier that satisfies that creamy carb craving.

What healthy substitutions have you made?

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    instead of a massive bowl of ice cream, I eat a smaller bowl of ice cream. unless I killed it at the gym that day. then all bets are off.

(point is, there's no reason to rid your diet of a food you love. just remember moderation.)
  • donametts
    Options
    Homemade Vegan Mayonnaise
    Makes about 1 ½ cups

Ingredients:
    ½ cup of soy milk, plain and preferably unsweetened
    1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of canola oil
    ¼ teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
    ¼ teaspoon of agave
    ¾ teaspoon of kosher salt
    ½ tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
    zest from 1/8 of an organic lemon
    1/8 teaspoon of dry mustard

Directions:

Put everything in the blender and process until it is thick. I make mine in my Vitamix and it takes about 15 seconds. If you have a lower speed blender you may need to process a little longer. The homemade vegan mayonnaise will become thick and completely emulsified exactly like a mayonnaise made with egg.
  • annchocolate
    Options
    Instead of ice cream, I eat frozen bananas.
    Instead of bread for my cheese , I eat pieces of cucumber.
    Instead of bacon, I eat raw serrano ham.
    Instead of sugar, I eat honey.
    Instead of milk for my cereal, I eat yogurt.

I hope I help :3
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Instead of 3 bowls of creamy spaghetti, I eat half a bowl of creamy spaghetti. But I will eat creamy spaghetti if I want it.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    This thread is about healthy substitutions. I am personally trying to substitute gluten-free items, but this is intended to be about anything that we all eat that could be substituted with something better.

For example:

What I eat: generic soft white sandwich bread. What I want instead: a good sandwich bread that is not wheat-based.

What I eat: creamy pasta. What I want instead: something healthier that satisfies that creamy carb craving.

What healthy substitutions have you made?
    Ive changed a few things, as follows
    white potatoes, for sweet pots
    jam for peanut butter
    spag bol made with pasta and beef, - qourn and either brown pasta or chickpeas works well.
    cookies for crackers

hard cheese for ricotta.
    chocolate-for cereal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Instead of 4 slices of bacon, I eat 2 slices of bacon

Instead of an 8 oz burger, I eat a 6 oz burger

Instead of 2 Tbsp of butter, I eat 1 Tbsp of butter

Instead of 2 or 3 ounces of Tillamook sharp cheddar, I eat 1 Oz of Tillamook sharp cheddar....

And so on and so forth.
  • marianapoliello
    marianapoliello Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Instead of a cup of pasta/spaghetti I eat two cups of spaghetti squash.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Instead of regular bread on a sandwich, I eat a 90 cal flatbread wrap (and they taste much better anyway)
    Instead of pasta, I eat spaghetti squash
    Instead of white potatoes, I eat sweet potatoes
    Instead of red meat burgers, I eat Boca veggie patties (I know meat isn't bad for you, but it makes me feel awful plus I'm more about the hamburger fixings than the burger itself)
    Instead of butter on bread, I use sugar free jam
  • pland54
    pland54 Posts: 132
    Options
    Great suggestions so far! I especially like the idea of spaghetti squash instead of pasta!

It's true that if you really love something that's not healthy it should still be alright to eat it in moderation. Personally, I have PCOS and would like to see my nutrition improve my symptoms. I'm not here for weight loss. This is why I'm trying to learn to avoid certain foods. But with things like white bread and pasta, I don't even love them that much, it's more of a carrier of things that I do love.
  • Slugsasarus
    Slugsasarus Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Instead of pop I drink plain green tea
    Instead of milk chocolate I eat dark chocolate
    Instead of wine I drink...ok shoot, I still drink wine
    Instead of egg I eat egg whites
    Instead of sugary oatmeal I eat plain oatmeal with protein powder
    Instead of ice cream I eat frozen greek yogurt mixed with protein powder
    Instead of chips I snack on cheerios
    Instead of cream based soups I eat broth based soups

^^^It has taken me 4 years to make these changes, and sure, I still might eat some of the "bad ones" once in a while but substituting stuff that you're used to eating with healthy alternatives is a great idea and helps a lot!
  • Instead of "being afraid of certain types of food," I eat "everything in moderation."
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Less breakfast and lunch, more dinner.

Less eating out, more eating at home.

Less sitting, more moving.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    instead of regular milk, i drink light almond/soy
    instead of sugary frappucino, i drink ice coffee with skim milk and shot of sugar free syrup
    instead of frozen yogurt and chocolate/toppings, i eat regular yogurt with fresh fruit
    instead of going out to eat, I make what i am craving at home and this always helps with calorie control!
    instead of chips I eat carrots
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I love salsa but tortilla chips are so high in calories -
    So, instead of tortilla chips to be my salsa delivery vehicle of choice, I use wide bell pepper strips.

Also if I'm craving something crunchy and savory (like potato chips), I'll have a pickle instead and usually that satisfies my craving.

Instead of mayonaisse on sandwiches, I eat mustard.

Instead of flour tortillas, I eat corn tortillas.

Instead of cows' milk, I drink almond milk (new, as of this morning!).
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Instead of oil for cooking, I use chicken stock
    Instead of candy, I eat fruit
    Instead of pop, I drink soda water
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Rice cake pizzas, FTW.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Instead of chocolate(muffins, candy bars, ice creams, and anything else), I eat PEANUT BUTTER!!!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    instead of eating incorrect amounts of nutritionally imbalanced food i eat portioned amounts of a balanced range of foods.

nothings off limits
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I love salsa but tortilla chips are so high in calories -
    So, instead of tortilla chips to be my salsa delivery vehicle of choice, I use wide bell pepper strips.

Also if I'm craving something crunchy and savory (like potato chips), I'll have a pickle instead and usually that satisfies my craving.

Instead of mayonaisse on sandwiches, I eat mustard.

Instead of flour tortillas, I eat corn tortillas.

Instead of cows' milk, I drink almond milk (new, as of this morning!).

tortilla chips are my absolute face snack food on the planet. i still have them but if i'm calorie poor at the time, i heat a taco shell, break it into pieces and use that instead. one taco shell is 60 calories.
  • greyoutside
    Options
    The only substitution I do is a tablespoon of hummus instead of salad dressing. Everything else I either cut out (I don't miss those things/they give me tummy problems) or do in moderation.