Need excercise advice

Options
I swear I am allergic to exercise but I KNOW it has to be done to make progress. What are some good things to start with to get me moving but won't kill me? I walk a lot but I know that's probably ot enough. I would like to eventuallly become a runner but idk how to go about that either. Any help would be great! Thanks :smile:

Replies

• tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    Hi ang_pena,
    Have you considered a home workout program?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great start! If you want to run, I'd suggest you continue walking. Up your pace and duration until you can walk at a brisk pace for 30 minutes with no problems. Once you get to this point and do it for a few weeks, start a program like Couch to 5K. It starts with intervals of running and walking to slowly build you up to running.

Definitely do some resistance training. Start with bodyweight work and light weights to get your form down. Squats, lunges, dead lifts, wall-pushups. Gradually increase/add weights, move from wall push-ups to modified. Do some planks when you can. If you can't get to free weights, get some resistance bands.

If you want something different, try browsing the video collection at your local lirbary. Look for some dance or kickboxing videos. YouTube is also a great resource.

Don't be afraid to start slow. I've gone balls to the wall from day 1 in the past, and it pretty much always led to a pretty quick burnout. Make exercise a habit, then up the intensity.
  • peter821
    peter821 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You don't have to work out like your a contestant on the Biggest loser. Even if you start slow, it's still better than doing nothing. In time you will progress and be able to handle a greater workload.

Walking is great, and you can even build up your walking cadence. For example if you walk one mile in 20 minutes, next time do it in 19 1/2 minutes. Eventually you'll be ready to run. Good Luck!
  • RunReadEat
    RunReadEat Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The C25K (Couch to 5k) program is a great way to transition from being a walker to being a runner. It alternates walking and running, slowly building up the length of the runs. You can find information online. Also, pick-up a Runner's World magazine or other books or magazines about running and start reading about running and other runners. It'll help you start thinking about yourself as a runner.

Some people also find that joining a running group helps (although I like to run alone.) You could recruit a friend or local running stores often have group runs if you find it easier to get motivated in a group.

Good luck!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great start! If you want to run, I'd suggest you continue walking. Up your pace and duration until you can walk at a brisk pace for 30 minutes with no problems. Once you get to this point and do it for a few weeks, start a program like Couch to 5K. It starts with intervals of running and walking to slowly build you up to running.

Definitely do some resistance training. Start with bodyweight work and light weights to get your form down. Squats, lunges, dead lifts, wall-pushups. Gradually increase/add weights, move from wall push-ups to modified. Do some planks when you can. If you can't get to free weights, get some resistance bands.

If you want something different, try browsing the video collection at your local lirbary. Look for some dance or kickboxing videos. YouTube is also a great resource.

Don't be afraid to start slow. I've gone balls to the wall from day 1 in the past, and it pretty much always led to a pretty quick burnout. Make exercise a habit, then up the intensity.

Awesome response!