Any Runners Out There?

2»

Replies

• mlbbarnes
    mlbbarnes Posts: 12 Member
    I started with C25K and it is fabulous! They also have a C210K app!

Whoa! Baby steps! LOL I am just now getting comfortable with running 3 miles on a regular basis. I want to try to run a 5K and then MAYBE I will start looking in to 10K.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    As long as you are using MFP as it is set up (the calories that it gives you already include your deficit) then eat back all those calories from running. And remember, you may not burn as many per mile as faster runners, but you are going to be running longer (I am also at around a 12 minute mile pace) so you will still be burning a lot. It might take a while to adjust and figure out exactly where you need to be to still lose weight, but while you are still putting in a lot of miles like you will be for the next two months, it is better to err on the side of eating too much. Your body needs that fuel.

I've done 5 Halfs and countless other distances. Be warned...they are addictive!

Good luck and have fun!

Ditto to everything above! Especially how running can become addictive!

In addition to eating back more of your exercise calories. Try some weight/resistance training. Exercises like squats, lunges and planking will help build up the muscles used while running.

If your energy is low while running. Bring water with you when you run.

As for your speed. Don't stress! As you continue to train your body will develop a natural pace. When you are comfortable with your distance. Try intervals where you run for 15 - 30 sec as fast as you can then drop back down to your natural pace. Do this several times over your standard training distance. Another "fun" thing to do is hill training. Find a decent hill, then run up and run back down, rest for a minute and repeat 3 -4 time depending on the hill.. Do this every couple of weeks.

Most important. Have fun!
  • bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    I run less than 10 minute miles...and the best way to fuel for your runs without going over your calories is a shake beforehand....i personally have a peanut butter bananna chocolate whey protein honey soy milk shake and because its a liquid it gives me quick energy and is easy to digest :) (and is roughly around 250 calories)
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    I've been running for over 20 years, and I agree with those who say it is hard to lose weight while training, especially when you are really not that overweight (if overweight at all) to begin with. If you were very large, then yes, going from not running to running will help you lose weight. But if you're simply trying to lose the last 5 lb, it will be difficult while you're trying to perform well as well. You are not eating enough. If you're running 25 miles a week, you need to eat at least 1500 a day. And if you are sticking with just 1500, every calorie has to be nutrient dense. Do not skimp on carbs - make them at least 55% of your diet.
  • Kristi858
    Kristi858 Posts: 31 Member
    Thanks for all of the amazing tips guys! Feel free to add me and keep me motivated! :)
  • lldelmonte
    lldelmonte Posts: 30 Member
    I ran my first (and only) 1/2 marathon a few years ago. I found I need to focus on the types of foods I ate for the energy. Complex carbs the night before, light meal an hour or so before a run, and simple carbs with protein right after. I also use those energy gels during a long run. Here is an example of what I would eat:

Dinner: Protein, rice/lentil dish (brown rice, lentils, spinach, golden raisins, cinnamon - yummy)
    Breakfast before run: Whole wheat waffle topped with plain greek yogurt, berries and maple syrup
    After fun: One of the following: protein drink, chocolate milk, or chocolate/honey type greek yogurt with banana.

I think I ate back most of my calories, but during the entire training I only lost about 4 pounds. (Note, my build is similar to yours.)

You can try googling "foods to eat before..." also - lots of stuff available. Also check out the articles available online through Running Fitness.

Good luck!
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    I don't know a thing about any of this, but good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • jennmariepantoja
    jennmariepantoja Posts: 145 Member
    You should eat more.
    I am training for a 5k now and was having low energy.
    I bought a fitbit and it tells me how many calories I burn per day. So on the days I train, I eat more (my fitbit gives me a recommendation). On the days I do not train, I eat what MFP tells me (1200).
    Hope that helps!