I really hate...

Options
tiffanyheth
tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
my job.
My boss makes me want to run full speed ahead into a wall. So many little things on top of several big things.

My job is ruining my marriage. My job is disrupting my children's lives. My job is causing havoc on my mental health.

I just want to cry every day I have to be here.

That's all. :(

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    You should quit.
  • tiffanyheth
    Options
    Oh let me add...I can't afford to quit.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options

find a new job.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options

What you need to ask yourself is; can you afford to stay?
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options

Exactly.

ACE Car Driver and Car Modification Trainer
    IKEA Furniture Assembler
    Kickass Certified Instructor
    Been in the women industry for over 30 years and have studied Kama Sutra and Edging
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Knee-jerk response: Your job doesn't just affect your life, you LET it affect your life. Surviving a bad job just takes a good attitude. Blaming your job for all your life's problems is just making an excuse to be self-righteously miserable.

Thought-out response: It looks like you really need to start looking for other employment. There's got to be something out there that won't make you unhappy. In the meantime, make sure that you find ways to de-stress after work. For me, working out is a great way to relieve the irritation I sometimes get at work, even though for the most part I don't mind my job. Take a bath, get a massage, go see a movie with your kids, plan a date night with your hubby, anything, just make sure you find at least one thing to enjoy daily to take your mind off being upset at your boss. If you're constantly talking/stressing about work when you're NOT at work, that could be a reason it's disrupting your home life.

But nothing about this situation is going to change on its own, unless your boss drops dead or gets fired or something. You either need to work at finding a new job, or accept the challenge of your current one and try to improve your attitude towards it. That's basically all you can do. Best of luck to you.
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Find a new job, or stand your ground. A job should be a tool for YOU to have the things in life YOU want, but it shouldn't be your life.
  • tiffanyheth
    Options

find a new job.

I've been looking, applying, interviewing. Nothing. I have a BA degree in Counseling and live in a small rural Iowa town (population 5500). I'm not a local and this town seems to prefer to hire locals).
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

find a new job.

I've been looking, applying, interviewing. Nothing. I have a BA degree in Counseling and live in a small rural Iowa town (population 5500). I'm not a local and this town seems to prefer to hire locals).

what is keeping you in iowa? extended family?
  • vblair77
    vblair77 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    A job should be a tool for YOU to have the things in life YOU want, but it shouldn't be your life.

Bravo! I want to print this up and tape it to the wall of my cubicle...in really BIG BOLD letters! :happy:
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

Exactly.

ACE Car Driver and Car Modification Trainer
    IKEA Furniture Assembler
    Kickass Certified Instructor
    Been in the women industry for over 30 years and have studied Kama Sutra and Edging

I am really digging your credentials, here!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options

find a new job.

I'm actually from the same area as you. There is a college/University town of 12k just down the road from you. Keep your head up and keep looking!!!

Also with a degree in Counseling you might look at some of the schools coming up soon, There is usually some openings that happen at the small schools around if you are willing to move. There is a bunch of small schools in the area.
  • tiffanyheth
    Options
    Knee-jerk response: Your job doesn't just affect your life, you LET it affect your life. Surviving a bad job just takes a good attitude. Blaming your job for all your life's problems is just making an excuse to be self-righteously miserable.

Thought-out response: It looks like you really need to start looking for other employment. There's got to be something out there that won't make you unhappy. In the meantime, make sure that you find ways to de-stress after work. For me, working out is a great way to relieve the irritation I sometimes get at work, even though for the most part I don't mind my job. Take a bath, get a massage, go see a movie with your kids, plan a date night with your hubby, anything, just make sure you find at least one thing to enjoy daily to take your mind off being upset at your boss. If you're constantly talking/stressing about work when you're NOT at work, that could be a reason it's disrupting your home life.

But nothing about this situation is going to change on its own, unless your boss drops dead or gets fired or something. You either need to work at finding a new job, or accept the challenge of your current one and try to improve your attitude towards it. That's basically all you can do. Best of luck to you.

Fair enough. Believe me when I say that I TRY so hard to remain positive. Then I show up to work and get a snarky, unnecessary email from my boss.

Or I have a sick kid and my husband has to neglect his own job AGAIN because my job doesn't permit it. I try. I really do.

I work out 6 days per week, which is a great stress reliever. The other people I work with are wonderful and they help!

There's a LOT to my home life, but it's hard to work on any of that when I'm rarely AT home. Also, my husband is a minister and when I work weekends, it's a hardship for his ministry and taking care of the children. No family here and very little extra help with the kids. :(
  • graveflower316
    graveflower316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    There will always be excuses and reasons that you'll find to stay in the position you're in now, but honestly, I'd choose my life and livelihood any day over a terrible job and paycheck.

Bachelor's degrees don't go very far nowadays, so it may take applying and interview for longer periods of time... it also may mean taking a job that is below you to make ends meet. Whatever you have to do to make things better for yourself and your family may be worth the struggle in the end. Life won't get easier if you keep telling yourself it's situations and other people that are keeping you back.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    my job.
    My boss makes me want to run full speed ahead into a wall.

7qvUa.gif
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    my job.
    My boss makes me want to run full speed ahead into a wall. So many little things on top of several big things.

My job is ruining my marriage. My job is disrupting my children's lives. My job is causing havoc on my mental health.

I just want to cry every day I have to be here.

Time to quit.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I think you should find a new job as soon as possible.

On a lighter side, at least you'll end up on platform 9 and 3/4 x
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    my job.
    My boss makes me want to run full speed ahead into a wall.

7qvUa.gif

^^THIS is the *kitten*!! :laugh:
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Fair enough. Believe me when I say that I TRY so hard to remain positive. Then I show up to work and get a snarky, unnecessary email from my boss.

Or I have a sick kid and my husband has to neglect his own job AGAIN because my job doesn't permit it. I try. I really do.

I work out 6 days per week, which is a great stress reliever. The other people I work with are wonderful and they help!

There's a LOT to my home life, but it's hard to work on any of that when I'm rarely AT home. Also, my husband is a minister and when I work weekends, it's a hardship for his ministry and taking care of the children. No family here and very little extra help with the kids. :(

Where does your family live? Would it be at all possible to move closer to them? As someone else asked, what is tying you to Iowa of all places? (I'm not knocking the state, I lived there too, just saying :P)

I understand the frustration when you can't take care of yourself or loved ones when sick, I've dealt with very unforgiving jobs on that front too. Perhaps your co-workers would be willing to help on that front? They'll understand the situation, and if any of them have kids you could try and do a trade-off sort of thing...?
  • Babygirl928
    Babygirl928 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

^^ :drinker: :drinker: there comes a point where you have to realize that you need to take action. Try to find something else