And, the BEST Interval Fitness Timer is...

Options
Okay, my head is spinning from reading reviews online of Everlast vs. Gymboss vs. Timex watches vs. yadda yadda yadda. And, the reviews are all over the spectrum. Some people are panning the same products folks are raving about. *sigh*

So, I figured I'd pose the question here... with my MFP buds... to ask. Which fitness interval timers are you using? What do you like or dislike about them? What do YOU recommend?

P.S. I have a "timer" on my Polar RS100 HRM... two of them actually. But even after reading the manual (http://www.polarusa.com/support_files/us-en/85256F470048B0BC852574730060F559/Polar_RS100_user_manual_English.pdf), I'm still darned if I can figure out how to use it for an interval timer during my workouts. *sigh*

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I use the Motorola MotoACTV.

Good: GPS tracking, works perfect with my Garmin HR monitor, alows you to set goals and track laps, has a variety of exercise to track and customization galore, wireless connectivity for information transfer to their tracking website (included), Bluetooth and ANT+ connection, great battery life, touch screens, MP3 player, etc. I have had it for over a year and has worked perfect 98% of the time.

Bad: It is expensive, is in the realm of comparables from Garmin and Polar, it has had some software issues in the past but the latest software/models seem rock solid, kind of bulky for some to wear (wife doesn't like it), not 100% waterproof but has been perfectly sweat and rain resistant for me, has a bit of a learning curve because of its' feature set.

Hope that was what you were looking for.

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/8GB-or-16GB-MOTOACTV/79070,en_US,pd.html
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I use a garmin for tracking my runs but I also have a Gymboss I use when pacing Galloway Training Group runs. I like the gymboss. It is inexpensive and it works well. I use it several times a week, sometimes in the rain, and it has continued to work for over a year.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Nevermind above, seems the product is now inactive and not supported. The other model I like was the Garmin, though I don't recall the number.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I use an app for my phone. I never saw the point of buying a separate tool to be an interval timer when so many electronic devices I already own, from my phone, to my HRM, to my computer, can be upgraded with that functionality with a simple software install that's free.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I use an app for my phone. I never saw the point of buying a separate tool to be an interval timer when so many electronic devices I already own, from my phone, to my HRM, to my computer, can be upgraded with that functionality with a simple software install that's free.

What phone app do you have that does automatic repeating programmable intervals with a beep to let you know when that set is over? (e.g. for intervals of 30 seconds)

ETA: Great idea. Never thought of an app. Just did search & found on called TimerPro.
  • ckejmommy
    ckejmommy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the gymboss app for my phone and really like it. It is easy to program and it was free.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

What phone app do you have that does automatic repeating programmable intervals with a beep to let you know when that set is over? (e.g. for intervals of 30 seconds)

ETA: Great idea. Never thought of an app. Just did search & found on called TimerPro.

The one I used is just called A HIIT Interval Timer. It works.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I finally figured out how to make the one on my Polar HRM work.... and have decided it is useless. *sigh*

It will just autorun in the background whenever you're tracking your HRM and it is so hard to hear, I didn't even realize I got it working. LOL A teeny tiny meeeeep.