Pre run or exercise meal

Options
I have been playing soccer quite a bit and since I have been dieting fairly strictly I have noticed that my legs get fatigued quite easily. I have read that a peanut butter sandwich or pasta (carbs) before running etc is a good practice. Any runners out there verify if this is good to do? Any good recipes for a handy pre-run snack? Also how long before the activity should you eat such a meal/snack to get the benefit?

Replies

• yensidtoon
    yensidtoon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, I was going to post this question! I fatigue way too easily when running and using our new Elliptical trainer. I had almonds today a few hours before I hit the Elliptical, but had serious lack of energy. I had to take a break every few minutes.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    right before a run is too late to carb load, its usually done a day or two before. Unless you're running a long distance, you shouldn't really need to carb load anyway. i usually prefer a banana or apple with peanut butter about a half an hour before a run. Anything more than that and I get crampy and nauseous. Some people like having a bit more in their stomach, you'll have to experiment with what works for you.
  • danbil
    danbil Posts: 5
    Options
    I like to cycle on Sunday mornings (30-50 miles). I usually have chicken, pepper and courgette pasta in a tomato sauce the night before. For breakfast I will have weetabix and banana about 90 minutes before my ride. I also take flapjack and/or jaffacakes with me for an energy burst. Works for me but everyone has their own routine.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I usually have a slice of whole-grain toast with peanut butter before I run. I aim for half an hour before, but it doesn't seem to bother me if it turns out to be 15 minutes or an hour.

If I don't have time even for toast, I'll grab a banana or granola bar on the way out the door. I do better with at least a little fuel.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    If it's a long run or race a day or two before of increased carbs would be best. If it's just an everyday workout, try to get some simple carbs like fruit, peanut butter, or yogurt in about an hour before.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you're getting proper nutrition you shouldn't need to eat anything before a workout. Some of my best runs have been first thing in the morning with nothing to eat since supper the night before. Carb loading is for serious long distance running and is done over days before the event. I'd look elsewhere for the cause of your fatigue rather than a pre workout snack.
  • denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Banana with almond butter (or peanut butter) on 100% whole grain bread. Best pre-workout/sport meal ever! My personal fave go-to. :)
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    For my 3 or 4 mile run I just eat a banana about 30 minutes before my run. 5 to 7 mile runs I eat a slice of wheat toast with PB & half a banana. That is as far as I have run so not sure if that will hold longer.
  • veggieluver2
    veggieluver2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you're getting proper nutrition you shouldn't need to eat anything before a workout. Some of my best runs have been first thing in the morning with nothing to eat since supper the night before. Carb loading is for serious long distance running and is done over days before the event. I'd look elsewhere for the cause of your fatigue rather than a pre workout snack.

I disagree with this ^^^ If your blood sugar drops easily--as does mine. You need to have a little something on your stomach. If I don't I get nauseous, have a headache, and lack of energy.

One size doesn't fit all.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I will eat gel or sport beans before a long run, and take a pack with me along the way.

If I eat anything else I'll puke of poop myself. I don't eat anything an hour before a run.

Carb load the night before, if its for a race or really going to push it.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    Okay, so you don't need to eat RIGHT before (as in, a few minutes) you run or do cardio, but I would highly recommend eating sometime before - I usually eat about 45 minutes to an hour before I go on my long runs. Oatmeal and bananas are great if you want energy and they usually tied me over until I get back from my run, in which case, I eat more (more carbs and protein). Eating some nuts (or peanut butter) or some dried fruit right before your run can give you an extra boost of energy without giving you that "weighed down" feeling in your stomach. Just try some different times out and see what works best for you. Everyone is different when it comes to when/how long they eat before running and doing cardio.
  • XRavenhood
    XRavenhood Posts: 102
    Options
    I keep the heavy and protein stuff for AFTER my workouts. Peanut butter is really heavy and takes a while to go down.