Posting long & helpful replies just to be ignored...

Options
khall86790
khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
This isn't about a post in particular but more about several posts over the last few days and I just want to vent about it as I can't be alone here - I've seen it happen to others too!

It drives me crazy when someone posts asking for help and I send back a big post with lots of helpful information on what they are doing wrong, advice I've received and/or information I've learnt on the boards for them to either 1. completely ignore it reply to ridiculous one/two word replies with random questions or 2. not return to the thread after posting it and therefore wasting everyone's time in replying.

I know it's helpful for if people use the search function to find out about it later but 9 times out of 10 people just re-post the same questions anyway after searching or don't search at all, so I feel like I waste 10 minutes trying to help someone who is completely ignorant to what I have said!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :explode: :explode: :explode:
Rant over.

Replies

• dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    must......ignore.......thread........
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    yessss
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I don't what to say . . .

TYPE IN ALL CAPS??
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Never post over a paragraph in a multipage thread
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    This isn't about a post in particular but more about several posts over the last few days and I just want to vent about it as I can't be alone here - I've seen it happen to others too!

It drives me crazy when someone posts asking for help and I send back a big post with lots of helpful information on what they are doing wrong, advice I've received and/or information I've learnt on the boards for them to either 1. completely ignore it reply to ridiculous one/two word replies with random questions or 2. not return to the thread after posting it and therefore wasting everyone's time in replying.

I know it's helpful for if people use the search function to find out about it later but 9 times out of 10 people just re-post the same questions anyway after searching or don't search at all, so I feel like I waste 10 minutes trying to help someone who is completely ignorant to what I have said!

Rant over.

when you answer a question on the forums, it isn't just about the person you are responding to. it's about the dozens or hundreds of lurkers who will also read it and find it useful. so it's useful even if you never see the OP again. if making sure the OP sees your answer is your concern, send a private mail so you can see that little thingee next to it when it has been read.
  • khall86790
    Options
    yessss

I'm confused...? Why?
  • khall86790
    Options

Rant over.

when you answer a question on the forums, it isn't just about the person you are responding to. it's about the dozens or hundreds of lurkers who will also read it and find it useful. so it's useful even if you never see the OP again. if making sure the OP sees your answer is your concern, send a private mail so you can see that little thingee next to it when it has been read.

I know and don't get me wrong I am all about people lurking and reading the information but a lot of the times the replies are tailored to the OP's issue so it can be a little frustrating for it to get completely ignored by them. I just feel like why do they post these questions if they don't respond to help provided?
  • khall86790
    Options
    Never post over a paragraph in a multipage thread

Sound advice, something I've noticed from your replies actually, I will take note and do the same in future!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Rant over.

Came here to say this. ^^
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a really long reply makes a person's eyes glaze over and it becomes a tl;dr situation. I won't give a long response unless someone specifically comments on my reply and asks another question. That's not to say nobody read your response, though. You may have helped someone, you just don't know it.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    tl;dr