What does a gym cost?

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    That particular gym for the price they're asking sounds like crap. I'd do some more shopping around.
  • catrunsintowindow
    catrunsintowindow Posts: 77 Member
    I pay ~50$ a month for my gym - tons of free weights, machines, two squat racks, gymnastics rings, about 25 treadmills + a bunch of other cardio equipment, fitness and spinning classes, and a dry sauna. I wish I could get away with paying less, but unfortunately that's about average for what's in my area...
  • Bubsys_mom
    Bubsys_mom Posts: 124 Member
    If you have to be in a contract, hell to the NO.

I got screwed over by a company/gym before and never again. They are evil imho.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Wouldn't it make sense to invest 56 dollars in some home gym equipment and see if you stick to it for 1-2 months?

I think 56 dollars a month is overpaying unless it's a pretty fancy place, which this place doesn't seem to be. Also. WTF contract.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    I pay $10 a month. No frills or classes, but LOTS of equipment, clean locker rooms.... ALL I NEED!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    don't sign a contract!!!!!
    also - do you have a YMCA near by? If you are low income, they provide scholarships to low income households who want to join but cant afford their regular price.

How does a gym charge $56 a month with only two ellipticals?

What other gyms are around you, have you shopped around?
    do you need child care? Do you have planet fitness around? those are only like $10 or $20 a month.
    LA FITNESS is like $30 a month.
    I dont know what gyms are around you but do your best to NEVER sign a contract with a gym.
  • HokieMama4
    HokieMama4 Posts: 112 Member
    I pay $90/month for my whole family. It's a top-of-the-line gym with racquetball, basketball,volleyball, two different indoor pools with slides, hot tubs, tons of awesome classes, and an amazing kid program with games, crafts, yoga, kidzercise, etc. I LOVE IT!!!! I'm there 6 days a week, my husband is there 3-4 days a week, and my kids go with me 2-3x a week. I personally would never accomplish at home what I do in the gym. You gotta figure out what works for you. Many gyms will let you do a 7-30 day trial.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    That is WAYYYY too much, especially for what you described. I belonged to 24 Hour Fitness in California several years ago, and the most I paid was $30 a month, and it was way nicer, bigger and more features than what you described.

Personally though, I never achieved the type of fitness there that I enjoy now with my home workouts.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    I go to the YMCA. its great. has TONS of equipment, a huge pool and hot tub, sauna, nice locker rooms, very clean, and so many classes I can't count. I pay 63 dollars a month (but when my insurance kicks in I will only pay 43) my friend who goes with me has her membership based off of her income and only pays 34 a month (she also will be getting 20 off from her insurance soon).

this is true for sure about the Y. I am currently on a scholarship that is only costing me (and my toddler son) $30 a month and my Y has several long rows of ellipticals and several long rows of treadmills, stair climbers, tons of stationary bikes, plus a huge weight bench area (HUGE), and the weight machines as well plus the classes... wow... the classes as well as child care for up to two hours a day. oh and a pool, etc etc. I think the Y Rocks!
  • kwilliams386
    kwilliams386 Posts: 156 Member
    I get all that PLUS from my gym.. and I only pay $30 no contract. That sounds like a total rip off! I guess it depends on the area. DONT SIGN A CONTRACT - esp. since you already admitted you have a hard time going. You can lose weight/get fit at home as well, it just takes a bit of determination. walking is awesome, keep at it! Like others have said, for 56 bucks a month you can buy some good stuff to use at home.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    my local gym is 46 pounds a month. lots of facilites but knowing me its a waste of my money. You tube has a be fit channel so many exercises to choose from. I am into the fitness blender workouts there are exercises for beginners and more advance ones. Just spent some money on some dumbells and thats it. I do though go once a week to a spinning class, but it still wont add up to the 46 pounds a month. if u going to spend the money just make sure u get your moneys worth.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    For what's offered, that sounds a little bit like a rip-off.
    My gym is $50/month, which is about average for the gyms around my city. I still think it's a little pricey, but I do feel they offer a lot of great options. It's a chain company with about 10 locations around the city, as well some in the next city, and my membership allows me to use any one of them (which is great when travelling, or meeting up with a workout buddy who's across the city). Several of the locations are 24 hours, and they are upkept pretty well. Seperate rooms for weights and cardio (they have at least 10-20 treadmill/eliptical machines) as well group workout classes that are also free with membership!
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    I have 2 gym memberships - one for a free weight gym that I pay $600/year (so comes out to $50/mo) and one at Planet Fitness for $10/mo. I sometimes have to pay for parking at the free weight gym ($3.50/day) so if I add that into the cost, it comes out to over $100/mo, which is why I've been going to PF more these days. I also do occasional Barre classes elsewhere that are $18 each (I can buy a pack of classes for less, just haven't done it yet), and again, I have to pay for parking there, which is an additional $3.00 or so.

Getting in shape is expensive. :lol:
  • cathyfowler662
    cathyfowler662 Posts: 120 Member
    I pay $10.50 a month. There are lots of bikes, treadmills, elipticals, some classes, lots of weight machines and tons of free weights. $56 a month seems a little high for a no frill place.
  • Lisafrazier71
    Lisafrazier71 Posts: 59 Member
    We have a fitness benefit through our insurance where we pay $27 a month and can go to any of the Snap Fitnesses, YMCA's and Urban Active gyms in the Nashville area. It is AWESOME. I love going to the gym, I think it's fun. We (hubby & myself) usually go to a small one near our home that is kinda old & run down because hardly anyone goes there & we end up having it mostly to ourselves. I wish I had known years ago that our insurance had this benefit! If you have insurance it is totally worth checking into to see if you have any kind of plan like this.
  • beetpoet
    beetpoet Posts: 63 Member
    Everyone is so helpful! Your comments and observations have really helped me. I am going to actually take a look at some other gyms, even if I have to drive to them. I will not obsess over this either. I think I could start out by at least walking, for crumb sake. Thank you many times over!!
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    If I were you I'd invest $56/month in home gym equipment. Start out with free weights and a bench and go from there. By the end of a year, you'll thank yourself. Plus you can always sell it if you decide you don't stick with it.

Look around on craigslist and used sports stores for deals.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    You can also probably get a 1 week free trial at most gyms. Visit a different one in your area each week and that'll give you a month of free workouts.
  • The Y here was charging me $51 a month so I quit and went to planet fitness for $10 a month. I buy my own workout dvds and do them at home. Crossfit use to cost me $110 a month!
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    I agree with the person that said it depends on what's the going rate in your area. 24 Hour Fitness and another gym called Biff's both are more expensive for a couple than the gym my husband and I have a membership to. We are in a semi small town outside of Oklahoma City. Our gym also provides a month to month payment or contract for 6 months to a year that will give you better rates. 55 or more is the going rate and none of the gyms have the sauna or pool stuff.