Weight gain after thyroidectomy

Options
Hi, everyone! I'm fairly new to the site, but I wanted to see if there are any other people suffering from weight gain after thyroidectomy? I had a complete thyroidectomy last summer so I'm on synthroid replacement. I thought I would be able to lose weight as I have done in the past, but I not only haven't lost weight, I've gained 6lbs since last summer. I'm really trying, exercising and eating pretty well most days but will it ever be enough? Anyone with any ideas to share would be most welcomed!

Replies

• VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear this! Can't offer you much help :( researching and reading right now because I'm having thyroid troubles as well. Working really hard and losing nothing here on my end too!
  • barnettsa
    barnettsa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My experience after having a tt was a crazy weight gain and loss roller coaster ride as we tried to figure out the right medication dosage. I was in the Air Force and being overweigh is a no no, but I gained 20 lbs in 6 months then lost it. I believe it took about 18 months for my body to adjust and figure out that we were going to lose weight the old fashioned way of eating the right kinds of food and exercise. The hardest part that whole first year was the fatigue and achiness my body felt and the sluggish brain fog. I was 180 at the worst part after my tt and I am 5'2". You can lose weight, it is harder for us, but I guess that is how I justify why I can't cheat myself.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    My friend has had a thyroidectomy and I am hypothyroid I can tell from speaking with her and from personal experience. It is difficult to reach you peak dosage. I like for mine to be very low tsh right at the edge of hyperthyroid. I do not get hyper symptoms such as racing heart, just generally feel better and more energetic. I hope you have a Dr. that will work with you on this. Good Luck.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    Have thyroid issues myself, but still have my thyroid. Sorry I'm not more help. If you haven't already, you might want to post this in one of the thyroid groups though. You might get a quicker response.