Lifting for women

Options
Today I did stronglifts for the first time. I've been talking about it long enough but I've had an irrational fear of dead lifting I had to get over. I was getting so tired of following my boyfriend around the weight room doing what he did.

The feeling of empowerment is really awesome and although my dead lift is 75lb, I did it and I did it on my own. And I don't think I have ever felt like I accomplished so much in 30 minutes. It was fantastic and I urge every woman that has ever been intimidated by free weights to give them a shot. The stronglifts 5x5 program is really simple and takes no time at all.

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Woohoo! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

It is an awesome feeling, isn't it?
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Lifting is awesome!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Excellent work. I am doing the SL 5x5 and it is so far my favorite plan. Just keep adding 2.5-5lbs each to each lift when you revisit the A or B workouts. Those weights will get big real fast.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Hell to the yeah!!!

1233445870_ae19b02.gif
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!
  • jd7887
    jd7887 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Any advice for someone who has never been on "that side" of the gym. I would assume I would start with some You Tube videos? Any advice on what to do the very first time? Thank you.
  • phatnotfat81
    Options
    *APPLAUSE* Way to go!
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Lifting is totally awesome. Congrats on your first of many lifting days!
  • thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Dead lifts used to intimidate me, and I'm now addicted to them!! I'm up to 200 lbs on them right now, and they're SO EMPOWERING! (and a great work out too!).
  • linski24
    linski24 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I started lifting this week and I love it :-)
    I bought my own weights, bench and I'm waiting for a squat stand ..!!
  • chelsey_hoeft
    Options
    Just started lifting this year- what a great workout! I still have a considerable amount of fat to burn, though, and I feel like the fitness community is divided on the subject. Many trainers I have spoken with say cardio is the best way to burn fat. Other trainers say a balanced workout will benefit me most. Yet others swear by a no-cardio routine. I am seeing fantastic results so far with minimal/moderate cardio, but I was just curious to hear what you all think and what you have tried. Thanks!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    yay! Metting a barbell was the best decision I ever made! Keep it up =):drinker:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Just started lifting this year- what a great workout! I still have a considerable amount of fat to burn, though, and I feel like the fitness community is divided on the subject. Many trainers I have spoken with say cardio is the best way to burn fat. Other trainers say a balanced workout will benefit me most. Yet others swear by a no-cardio routine. I am seeing fantastic results so far with minimal/moderate cardio, but I was just curious to hear what you all think and what you have tried. Thanks!

When trainers and other say to focus on cardio because you burn more calories, they are assuming you are trying to create a caloric deficit with your exercise. I had to explain to my trainer that I had a calorie deficit built into my diet and I wasn't really worried about calorie burn...just fitness goals.

You have to understand what you're doing and they have to understand what you're doing. Trying to build a deficit with exercise is pretty common place, so that's where a lot of trainers go.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Yay :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You're my hero! Congrats! :love:
  • Flyersteve18
    Flyersteve18 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    AWESOME good job OP!! Stronglifts is great!! You will love it the strength and muscle you'll gain. The more muscle you gain, the more fat that muscle will just burn fat for you :D Keep up the great work!
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Any advice for someone who has never been on "that side" of the gym. I would assume I would start with some You Tube videos? Any advice on what to do the very first time? Thank you.

Assuming you are a member of a gym with free weights, you may consider getting a session with a trainer to show you form. I did that just because of my dead lifting intimidation. I was comfortable with the squats and bench pressing. If you do that, find a program first and have the trainer show you the moves instead of having the trainer make a program for you.

If that is not an option definitely look at the youtube videos.

I've also heard great things about New Rules of Lifting for Women and also Starting Strength, although I don't know anything about them. I know there is a New Rules of Lifting for Women group on MFP and also a Stronglifts group. You may want to join one and ask around some more.
  • jd7887
    jd7887 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you OP for taking the time to respond. I do belong to a gym and like you when you started, am only confident with my squats and bench presses. I appreciate the advice! I need to get over these nerves and just do it! Thanks, again..... and great job to you!