Hi, I'm Michael. Need help getting motivated.

Options
I started using fitnesspal about a year ago, and had great results. I went through some personal issues, and changes in work life over the last 3-4 months. Since then I quit working out, keeping up with my diet, and have put on around 20lbs. I used to lift heavy weights, and I put on muscle really quick. I climb cell towers for a living which is pretty much all aerobic in nature. Since October I have had to drive all over North, and South Carolina for my job; staying on the road 3-4 nights a week. I work 12-15 hours a day, and it is hard to find the time to get cardio in. I feel exhausted all the time, and can't seem to keep my diet right. I'm also suffering from depression lately. It would be great to have someone to talk to. Hope everyone is doing well.

Replies

• Freemyskinny
    Options
    You can add me and I will help you as much as I can. I don't have a problem helping support you and I'm a great listener. (:
  • _SASX_
    _SASX_ Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Michael, if you are already doing a lot of aerobic work in your work, climbing cell towers every day (WOW, btw), you probably don't need to add anymore cardio into your day. Try your strength training again. Start with body weight stuff you can do anywhere-pushups, lunges, squats, burpees. If you have access to the internet, check out fitnessblender.com (or their youtube site) for a lot of ST/cardio. there is also zuzkalight.com - she is super fit and does workouts that are no longer than 20 min in length and although she does use weights in some of her workouts, they are all high intensity and can be done without weights, too.

How is your food intake? Track your foods, try to aim towards lean protein and freggies (blah blah blah- you've hear this all before)
    the better the foods, the easier the weight will transform into muscle and lose in inches.

Good luck, my friend.
  • Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I am happy to support you on your journey! Please feel free to add me! You can do this!!
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    There is something very therapeutic about working out just FOR YOU. Sure, you get a good workout at your job, but you are doing it because you have to. When you make the decision to do it FOR YOURSELF...to GIVE YOURSELF THAT GIFT...it changes everything. It's a mental game. It doesn't make the workout any easier and it doesn't make "showing up" any easier...but the rewards are richer at the end and then you remember that the next time. It is simple programming (just like Pavlov's dog that you learned about in school). If you are doing it because you think you have to, or because you don't like what you see in the mirror, you aren't getting the reward. But if you are doing it to be kind to yourself, and to give a gift to the future you, then you get rewarded with pride and a sense of accomplishment. And just like Pavlov's dog, eventually you'll be chomping at the bit....to get that reward. You'll be hooked on the sense of pride. The feeling alone will drive you.

One step at a time. One day at a time. FOR YOU.
  • rachellefitz
    Options
    Hey Michael! I'd be happy to help support you on your journey too! Things will get better :) feel free to add me!
  • getfit_kal120
    Options
    Hi! im Kal, i also have a very hard time fitting in my work outs because of work. im sure my work load is much easier than yours but im working 2 jobs, workind 12-15 hrs each day.
  • spicacio
    spicacio Posts: 33
    Options
    Add me brother. We are all in this together! That goes for everyone here as well. We can all do this together!
  • MichaelBrewer2634
    MichaelBrewer2634 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. Climbing towers is more of an anaerobic exercise done in circuits. I climb with 50lbs of gear for 60-80ft at a time with diminishing returns. It is good exercise, but it isn't aerobic in nature so I bulk up quick and over train easily. I've always been in great shape except when I've gone overboard with things. last time was in college when I was in grad school, and working 50 plus hours a week on top of that. I ate bad, was stressed beyond belief, and didn't exercise much. Back in October a couple of guys got fired so I'm covering all of North, and South Carolina with a co-worker that lives in eastern South Carolina. I live in Winston-Salem. Working 15 hours a day, and living out of hotels has put 20lbs on me in the last few months. A lot of it is muscle, but I don't think being 210lbs is the best way to go.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Well, that sounds pretty stressful, and fairly lonely :(

How long will this arrangement continue? How long do you think you could bear it? There's no way you and your colleague can jointly talk address this with your HR? I assume he's under similar strain, and your employer obviously trusts you both. Recession or no, they're still bound by labour laws, and probably the insurance company would like for you both to not be unwell. You obviously have to be in good physical and mental condition to do your job.

Would arranging a job-share, or arguing for a part-timer to pitch in on a *couple* of days, be possible (if it makes any kind of financial sense)? (And it does, long-term. The cost of paying for losses through illness might EASILY be less than the part-timer.)

Otherwise: is there any way of checking if hotels en route have gyms in advance? If not, and there's no gym, you could try some conditioning workouts in your room - kicks, pushups, punches, crunches, burpees - at a fast clip.

I guess meal planning might feel overwhelming at the moment, but if you could get a cooler, you could take veg along. Maybe pre-cook some meals, like healthier chilis, stews, things like that. Hotels must have microwaves - I think lots of roadside places do :) And/or getting the grilled chicken/salad option wherever it's available, at a stop. Beef jerky and nuts and fruits for snacks.

Any chance you hit the same towns, and could see people (even hotel staff, they're people too) with any regularity?

Are you already listening to books on CD, good talk radio, documentaries, comedy? Definitely comedy!
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    Hi Michael feel free to add me :bigsmile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to do cardio to lose some weight. That's more about calorie deficit. You're job is pretty physical, so just keep your nutrition straight.
    And I'll be the first to tell you that YOU are the best motivation for you. If you really want something bad enough, you won't let anything stop you. We can provide encouragement, but all the encouragement in the world won't matter unless you really want to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'm quite a bit older than you and in poor physical condition--but working on it--so I'd be no help to you there. However, I also deal with depression and would be happy to serve as a sounding board for life's issues. Sometimes, it's easier to talk to a stranger than it is a friend or family member. Please feel free to send a friend request.
  • angelaanhela
    angelaanhela Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Im add-able and always looking for motivational friends!