Birth control

Options
I have been on birth control for the first time in my life during the past year. This has also been the year when I noticed I am struggling with my weight, even if I am more active than usual. I have been on Nuvaring for 6 months and I think it caused some weight gain (I know it didn't release calories into my system), but could it interact with the metabolism? I am now using Alesse, which is what I was using before the ring and I am not very happy with this either. Have any of you experiences weight gain or difficulty losing weight while on birth control?

Replies

• sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yes my theory was the hormones it releases.... I don't rememeber but I assume I ate more because of it, it has been many years since I have been on. But my husband and I both hated the side effects of birth control I used. Guess I'm not much help but that is what we guessed at that time.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I've only ever gained on birth control because I ate more than I should've.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I was on Nuva for a while. No issues. Like pp said, I was overeating when I'd gain weight.
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Your entire body is run on hormones. Every single thing in your body is effected by them. It is very possible that screwing around with hormones will have other, un-intended results. I don't know for sure if birth control could effect your metabolism, but I know a LOT of women gain weight while on it, so it seems to me its possible.
  • MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    When I was on the nuvaring I gained weight. I was always hungry. I didn't have problems losing weight though. Exercise was all I needed
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    I was never really sure why weight gain is a side effect of birth control - whether it was the hormones being the direct cause, or whether it was due to the hormones making you crave/eat more than you did before birth control. The only kind of birth control I have used in orthotricyclene (a pill) and did not experience any weight gain from it whatsoever, cravings, or difficulty maintaining weight. I know a lot of people don't like taking a pill every single day, but maybe you could try another form of BC if it's becoming an issue. Different forms of BC work differently depending on the woman. :)
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    it made me always hungry and cranky. it made me crave hamburgers and fries like crazy. as soon as i stopped it, i gagged smelling a hamburger.
  • JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have Mirena, got it in September 2012, weighing in at 230. January 2013 I go in for weight loss and I weighed 272. I am getting it out in a few days and getting on one I had before that didn't make me gain an absurd amount of weight in such a little time. I don't just gain weight like that. I am usually always steady so I know Mirena caused it, especially after talking to other women who had the same problem.
  • imstrong4me
    imstrong4me Posts: 119
    Options
    I haven't tried those but im on the mirena I don't have any problems with it , the only advantage about it is you don't get you tom, Ive been on it since june of 2012 and I love it
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have Mirena, got it in September 2012, weighing in at 230. January 2013 I go in for weight loss and I weighed 272. I am getting it out in a few days and getting on one I had before that didn't make me gain an absurd amount of weight in such a little time. I don't just gain weight like that. I am usually always steady so I know Mirena caused it, especially after talking to other women who had the same problem.

same with me, i gained 15 pounds in one year, while exercising (some of it might be muscle mass), but even before when i used to eat a lot i didn't gain this much. it is creeping up on me. anyway, i started 30 day shred and watching what i eat more so than ever, i hope this will work.
  • christinet8504
    Options
    Girl, its the hormones! They can do everything from make you hold onto water till you feel like a bursting balloon to screwing with your appetite. I tried 8 different brands of BC before I found one that DIDNT make me gain weight. Every BC is different and affects every women differently, so you cant even really take suggestions from your friends. Pills that were a nightmare for them were great for me and vice versa. You need to find one that works for your specific body. I chose seasonique because its extended cycle and my weight always goes out of control around that TOM (sometimes as much as 10 pounds which magically disappears the next week). BUT, only the off brand works for my body....and its supposed to be identical to the name brand. Makes total sense, doesn't it?! Just keep switching till you find one you like. I gave them all about a 6-8 month trial.
  • olives28
    olives28 Posts: 56
    Options
    birth control is what made me fat in the first place
  • Jenn010101
    Jenn010101 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was on Depo (the needle) and I ballooned 50 pounds in 6 months. I lost my motivation and didn't have the energy to work out. it was awful so i had to stop because I couldn't keep living like that. I started birth control pills about 3 years ago and I lost the 50 lbs within a year and have only started going up on the scale again because I was promoted to a desk job with a treat bowl (which has gone "missing" as of January)
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Estrogen is implicated in fat storage. For me, the pill would be 20 pounds added almost instantly.
  • fatgirljessica
    Options
    I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, the birth control pill actually helps me loose weight..
    Women just have lovely hormones. :[
  • Bubsys_mom
    Bubsys_mom Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This is one of the many reasons my only form of birth control is the Paraguard IUD. It is hormone free so I don't have to worry about going crazy, nor weight gain. I had mine put in March 2012 and I absolutely LOVE IT. I have had no issues with it. No heavier periods than normal and no cramps that are worse than normal. Actually, I haven't had my period in a couple months, BUT, that is typical of me. It has nothing to do with the IUD. Just an FYI.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I bloated up badly with a few BC pills, but Ortho TriCyclen Lo worked well for me in that regard. Very little bloating and minimal side effects. None of the weight I gained was fat weight though, just a lot more fluid retention.
  • ShmareParks
    ShmareParks Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    birth control is what made me fat in the first place

Me too. And my first 15 pounds happened in the first month, with no change in my eating. And I never stopped gaining the whole time I was on it. To make matters worse, after going off it, I thought I could still keep eating/exercising the exact same, and the weight would come off. Nope. I had to eat WAY less and exercise WAY more. Now I finally feel back to normal, but it's been years. Hormones can do a number on you. Everyone is different, though.
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    The Nuvaring made me hungrier than normal, and of course like an idiot, I gave in and gained SCHLOADS of weight! I am now, for the first time, trying to diet and lose the weight. I have switched from the Nuvaring to Junel Fe, and the weight WILL NOT LEAVE!

Has anyone else had it where they just can't drop the weight on BC?! I have had no problems losing weight before the BC, so I am thinking the BC is making me hold onto the weight. Anyone else have this problem? I have only been on the Junel Fe for a month, I am giving it one more month before I make a doctors appointment because I just CAN'T lose weight!

Good luck to everyone in their weightloss goals!!
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    When I lost 45 pounds before I was on birth control. The reason I put it back on was little to do with the birth control and everything to do with the fat, sweet, junk food I was shoving in my mouth.

It didn't seem to affect me weight-wise, but then every woman is different.