What should i label this workout as?

jamie31
jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
So my strength training is normally done to a video i.e. The biggest loser Power Sculpt, Turbo Jam Sculpt, P90x or Jillian Micheals No More Trouble Zones. If i use the category for Strength Training it says i am only burning about 200 calories in 40 minutes. I know this can not be right. The strength training I do is arms and legs together. Such as lunges as I am doing curls or squats as i do shoulder lifts. Would this maybe considered circuit training? Anyone out there who may be doing the same workouts please let me know what you categorize yours for. Oh by the way I am a 6'2" female that weighs 198 so I know I burn more than 200 calories in a 40 minute strength training workout

Replies

• Bleux
    Bleux Posts: 186
    My suggestion is to get a HRM (Hear Rate Monitor). It will track your heart rate and give you a more accurate reading on how many calories during your workouts you are burning. There are several inexpensive ones that you can get at Walmart. I find mine tracks well and more accurate than the machines at the gym, too. They always go WAY over what my HRM says.
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    I put in calisthenics (sit-ups, push-ups) vigorous effort when I do any of that stuff. Sometimes I do the turbo sculpt at the Y. For me its says 40 minutes would burn 348 calories. It is in the exercise database maybe it will give you a more acurate number, I just view it as cardio with muscles. :smile:

Other than that, yeah a HRM would be nice and accurate.
This discussion has been closed.