if i dont exercise?

kalebsmama07
kalebsmama07 Posts: 503
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
i usually fit in exercise 3 days a week somewhere during the week .....is it okay n still acceptable to use this website even tho lately i cant get to the gym or outside to exercise.....i know most people are exercising too besides using this website.....is doing both just more of an advantage? .....it should still work? even though i cant exercise as much as i would like lately....besides going to the gym i do exercise around the house but dont count it because half the time i dont realize im exercising....im not lazy just havent been able to get out n just plain exercise!

Replies

• kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    It's faster if you do exercise. You can do it. Just get in a walk at least 3 times a week.
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    if you dont excercise you will still lose weight but you will be in crappy shape and probably not look as good as you want to. You will simply be losing body weight and muscle mass which isn't really healthy IMO.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    You can still lose even if you don't exercise... my mother is using this website, she's 64 years old, has fibromyalgia and has a difficult time just standing and walking through the house... and she's lot 11 lbs since the end of February. So yes, you CAN and WILL lose weight without exercise if you stay within your calorie range.

That being said, if the end result that you're looking for is a toned, sculpted body... exercise will be necessary. If you're looking to improve your cardiovascular health.. exercise is necessary. But 3 times a week is sufficient if you make it count!

Congratulations on your decision to make a healthy lifestyle change!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    While I would never recommend a lifestyle change that didn't involve some kind of daily (or as close to daily as possible) physical activity, I will say that it's neither required nor is it the main reason for weight loss and improved physical health.

I wouldn't be a very good Personal Trainer if I were to say that you can eat what ever you like and just exercise a lot and you will be healthy, that's not how it works. The main thing to focus on is a healthy, balanced diet. Coming in second is a vigorous and consistent exercise regimen. While exercise is good for increasing muscle mass, increasing cardiovascular health, and generally improving your body, it's not required to maintain or lose weight, nor is it required to keep your blood sugar and cholesterol levels healthy (in most cases), but it doesn't hurt!

So it boils down to, NO you don't HAVE to exercise, but I wouldn't recommend that strategy to anyone as it makes keeping a healthy lifestyle far more difficult and restrictive.
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    While I would never recommend a lifestyle change that didn't involve some kind of daily (or as close to daily as possible) physical activity, I will say that it's neither required nor is it the main reason for weight loss and improved physical health.

I wouldn't be a very good Personal Trainer if I were to say that you can eat what ever you like and just exercise a lot and you will be healthy, that's not how it works. The main thing to focus on is a healthy, balanced diet. Coming in second is a vigorous and consistent exercise regimen. While exercise is good for increasing muscle mass, increasing cardiovascular health, and generally improving your body, it's not required to maintain or lose weight, nor is it required to keep your blood sugar and cholesterol levels healthy (in most cases), but it doesn't hurt!

So it boils down to, NO you don't HAVE to exercise, but I wouldn't recommend that strategy to anyone as it makes keeping a healthy lifestyle far more difficult and restrictive.

What a breath of fresh air to hear a PT saying this about exercise and diet. So many act as if its exercise that is the single most important factor in weight loss.
  • SHBoss1673

What a breath of fresh air to hear a PT saying this about exercise and diet. So many act as if its exercise that is the single most important factor in weight loss.

Ha! that's cuz they are sales people. Trust me, the PT industry is very cut throat. The only reason I'm honest about it is because it's not my full time job. I became certified because I wanted to prove to myself and others that I am more qualified than just Joe Schmoe off the street to give (somewhat) respectable advice. This doesn't make me the end all be all of nutrition and health, and it doesn't mean I'm never wrong, but it DOES mean I put effort into my reasoning, read up on all the relevant information before responding, and have a base of information from which to make my assumptions.

Being able to do this while still being paid for a full time job not in the Health and wellness industry is what allows me to be free and open about weight loss and health. It doesn't make me any less dedicated or passionate about the field, it just means I don't need to "hook" people into training with me by offering up information piecemeal or being overtly technical to make me sound more knowledgeable than I actually am.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member

Ha! that's cuz they are sales people. Trust me, the PT industry is very cut throat. The only reason I'm honest about it is because it's not my full time job. I became certified because I wanted to prove to myself and others that I am more qualified than just Joe Schmoe off the street to give (somewhat) respectable advice. This doesn't make me the end all be all of nutrition and health, and it doesn't mean I'm never wrong, but it DOES mean I put effort into my reasoning, read up on all the relevant information before responding, and have a base of information from which to make my assumptions.

Being able to do this while still being paid for a full time job not in the Health and wellness industry is what allows me to be free and open about weight loss and health. It doesn't make me any less dedicated or passionate about the field, it just means I don't need to "hook" people into training with me by offering up information piecemeal or being overtly technical to make me sound more knowledgeable than I actually am.

You ROCK BANKS!!!! :drinker: :wink: :flowerforyou: :heart: Always ready and willing to help so many of us members here out with practical and logical thinking and methods.

Thank YOU for all the time you put in here when I know at least sometimes out of frustration you must want to smash your head into a brick wall! But for all the times it may appear some don't 'HEAR' your message, there are those that may not speak up but HEAR YOU LOUD AND CLEAR and are most grateful to add your tips and knowledge to our healthy knowlege and awareness.

Just wanted you to know what one lil member on MFP thinks of your hard work!

My apologies for going off track a wee bit on the original topic to the OP:flowerforyou: :blushing:
  • SHBoss1673
    Just to be clear. I don't think that because Personal Trainers have to be sales people, this makes them bad or evil in any way. Just like any other profession, there are good and bad PT's. A good PT can still make lots of money. Let's face it, for most of us, becoming an expert at exercise and fitness is not in the cards, having someone you can rely on to get you to where you want to be, just like an accountant, or lawyer, is important. But it does mean that most trainers won't voluntarily offer up information on the concept of eating healthy to become healthy, or at least not many will normally say that this is the most important factor in becoming healthy. It's just not in their best interest to do so. Most would dance a little when asked which is more important, saying something along the lines of "They are both extremely important in their own way". Which is technically true, but it's kind of like saying that natural = healthy. The two are not equivalent nor are they mutually exclusive. I.E. something can be natural and unhealthy and something can be healthy but unnatural.
  • xecila
    xecila Posts: 99
    if you dont excercise you will still lose weight but you will be in crappy shape and probably not look as good as you want to. You will simply be losing body weight and muscle mass which isn't really healthy IMO.

I don't think you'll lose muscle mass unless you do absolutely nothing or really cut your calories to an unhealthy level. I mean, you definately won't gain muscle, but I don't think you'll waste away, either.
  • mzmoonlight

Yeah, that all makes perfect sense. There are about ten PTs at my gym and every time I am there there is one or two trying to get sales off me. For a while I got quite annoyed with being approached so often but now I think its quite funny. I've heard that being a PT is not the easiest job in the world (unless you are fantastic at sales) so I do understand their desperation (especially as there is so much competition between them in my gym).

You will be a good person to ask this - I am looking to get some specific nutritional advice in terms of what I need to be eating to support my workouts, my calorie needs for weight loss verus training, and specific nutritional needs to meet my nutrient and vitamin RDA. I need this because I have been suffering from overtraining (I am pretty zealous in the gym but I think its down to cutting my calories too far rather than the exercise solely) So anyway, I have it in my mind to approach one of the PTs for this would they be qualified to give me this information or should I find a sports nutritionist away from the gym? Bit scared as I dont want sessions with them and I know they will try to push this on me! I dont need encouraging to exercise harder (need to cut it back if anything) I'd just need a one off nutritional assessment ... am I looking in the right place? (Currently off the gym because I am ill from overtraining)
  • mzmoonlight
    Just to be clear. I don't think that because Personal Trainers have to be sales people, this makes them bad or evil in any way. Just like any other profession, there are good and bad PT's. A good PT can still make lots of money. Let's face it, for most of us, becoming an expert at exercise and fitness is not in the cards, having someone you can rely on to get you to where you want to be, just like an accountant, or lawyer, is important. But it does mean that most trainers won't voluntarily offer up information on the concept of eating healthy to become healthy, or at least not many will normally say that this is the most important factor in becoming healthy. It's just not in their best interest to do so. Most would dance a little when asked which is more important, saying something along the lines of "They are both extremely important in their own way". Which is technically true, but it's kind of like saying that natural = healthy. The two are not equivalent nor are they mutually exclusive. I.E. something can be natural and unhealthy and something can be healthy but unnatural.

I can relate to this. There is one PT at my gym who I was really impressed with because when he first approached me he took time to help me with some exercises he saw me doing wrong and sat and discussed nutrition despite me saying I wouldnt be signing up for sessions. And since then hes always been friendly and made it clear he is there to answer any questions I have. That is a GREAT sales person because if I was ever in the position to want sessions I would employ him over some of the others who have been - well frankly - quite rude once they realised they were not getting a sale. Although your post made me laugh because that good PT did hover over which is more important and say they are both important!
  • SHBoss1673

I don't think you'll lose muscle mass unless you do absolutely nothing or really cut your calories to an unhealthy level. I mean, you definately won't gain muscle, but I don't think you'll waste away, either.

discontinuing muscle use will begin atrophy after as little as 7 to 10 days, you absolutely will lose muscle mass when in caloric deficit. People are always either losing or gaining muscle mass, there is no middle ground. The LEVEL at which you gain or lose can change, but it's always either one state or the other.
  • SHBoss1673

Yeah, that all makes perfect sense. There are about ten PTs at my gym and every time I am there there is one or two trying to get sales off me. For a while I got quite annoyed with being approached so often but now I think its quite funny. I've heard that being a PT is not the easiest job in the world (unless you are fantastic at sales) so I do understand their desperation (especially as there is so much competition between them in my gym).

You will be a good person to ask this - I am looking to get some specific nutritional advice in terms of what I need to be eating to support my workouts, my calorie needs for weight loss verus training, and specific nutritional needs to meet my nutrient and vitamin RDA. I need this because I have been suffering from overtraining (I am pretty zealous in the gym but I think its down to cutting my calories too far rather than the exercise solely) So anyway, I have it in my mind to approach one of the PTs for this would they be qualified to give me this information or should I find a sports nutritionist away from the gym? Bit scared as I dont want sessions with them and I know they will try to push this on me! I dont need encouraging to exercise harder (need to cut it back if anything) I'd just need a one off nutritional assessment ... am I looking in the right place? (Currently off the gym because I am ill from overtraining)

lets do this via email, I don't want to hijack the thread. :wink:
  • sblim
    sblim Posts: 99
    I think SHBoss1673 has made some great points though I'll share my personal opinion on the subject as well.

The single largest thing a person can do with regards to weight loss (not overall shape) is a change in nutritional eating patterns. Before any jumps on this, I'm only referring to one aspect of weightloss, but what you eat and how much is a lot more important than exercise with regards to weightloss. To make my point, my Basal Metabolism according to some sites is around 2300 calories a day. Now if I eat 1500 I can create an 800 calorie deficit very easily and lose ~1.5 lbs per week. To get that kind of deficit running, I'd have to run something like 8 miles everyday which isn't sustainable or physically possible for me (due to injuries but anyone that isn't a runner can't do this).

On a separate point, I actually talked to a sports doctor one time about this and asked him what percent of muscle loss would someone expect to lose if they didn't workout and only at fewer calories. This was probably 5 or 6 years ago, and I'm pretty sure he said something like up to 10% would be muscle loss and 90% would be fat. If someone is overweight by 100lbs, that probably isn't a bad trade off all things considered. I would love to see some stats on this though to back it up one way or another.

Anyways, I'm not advocating to not exercise, only pointing out that by changing eating habits one can easily lose weight though in the overall picture it is MUCH better to do both for other health reasons but there is no reason to discourage someone who doesn't want to go to the gym or workout from changing their nutrition b/c it isn't the most optimal course of action.
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Your question was if it is o.k. to still use this web site. Yes of course it is and good for you on your incredible weight loss. I would encourage you to make time for yourself and fit in whatever type of exercise you can even if it is just a short walk a few times a day or week. For me, exercise is a very important piece of my weight loss. I lose more consistently when I exercise even if I can't make it to the gym (I walk on a regular basis but that is something I did before starting my diet plan) Don't be too hard on yourself and do what you can to continue losing your weight and reaching your goal:flowerforyou: .
  • MamaBear05
    MamaBear05 Posts: 100 Member
    I would like to add that while exercise is important to shape and tone, there are also many other benefits that may not seem to matter much when you are young but will pay off in the long run if you start now. One has already been mentioned, your cardiovascular heath. When you have kids, grandkids, or just simply want to go to the store when you are much older, you want to be able to go move than 50 feet without being winded and out of breath. Your heart needs exercise to keep functioning as you get older to push that blood through your body. It too is a muscle that can wear out without sufficient training.

Also, strength training is an important part of bone health. It can prevent breaks, fractures, athritis and many other ailments of the elderly.

This does not mean you have to git the gym 5 days a week and run on the treadmill and lift weights. Little things count too. Take the stairs whenever possible, park in the furthest parking spot at the store, run up and down the stairs in your house/office every once in a while, do a few push ups, sit ups and squats every morning or evening in your bedroom, lift a few hand weights or cans of soup while watching tv. Or find something you enjoy like hiking, playing ball with friends, etc.

In my opinion, the proper term should be activity not exercise. It doesn't have to be gym workouts. Any activity that works your muscles and your heart counts.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    I don't exercise like some by going to the gym because right now I have a bum knee and Kienbock's Disease in my wrists which limits me. I try to walk and have been climbing hills and hiking when the knee will let me but otherwise just walking. It's better to tone while losing but this is still working for me.
This discussion has been closed.