Fish & Chips vs Hamburger

Options
ok my MFP knowledgeable friends, what do you think would be the better???? we are going to our local speedway tonight and ive been previously eating the fish and chips,and am thinking is this the better meal or is a hamburger the better? logging both in is a bit of guess work as its hard to add takeaway as there is so many variables. The fish and chips come in a typical square Chip box,the fish is a real piece( and im guessing about 100grams) but obviously is battered and fried,and altho im not a big chip fan theyre's are so yummy!!! i eat them all :( as for the hamburger the patty looks homemade not commercial made,comes in a white bun with a little piece of lettuce,tomato,carrot and cheese but is big! With the hamburger we still buy a box of chips but hubby and i share this.

So is it the fish and chips in a box or a large hamburger and half a box of chips????

Please dont suggest take our own salad or fruit stuff, this is our takeaway outing treat, so its something we enjoy, i am trying to work out which would be the better of the bad options.Its also a takeaway treat for the kids too.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If it's just an occasional treat, eat whichever one you like best and enjoy it. One meal is not going to do any damage in the big scheme of things. If it were me, I'd probably solve the dilemma the only sensible way - eat both of them! :bigsmile:
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    If its a treat then choose your favorite. I personally love fish and chips, but burgers make me want bacon. Who can say o to bacon? Have fun and good luck!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Hard to say which one as I don't know the calories for each one, but I'd probably go for the burger as less of the food is being deep fried (verses the whole meal being fried). You could also add more veggies to your hamburger (onions, lettuce, tomato) to make it more nutrient-dense.
  • KatjaO
    KatjaO Posts: 71
    Options
    Hard to say which one as I don't know the calories for each one, but I'd probably go for the burger as less of the food is being deep fried (verses the whole meal being fried). You could also add more veggies to your hamburger (onions, lettuce, tomato) to make it more nutrient-dense.

This. And no need to eat the mayo or cheese. And in general, do not finish the entire thing.

One meal is not the end of the world, but maybe you could fit in extra exercise the following day?
  • cherylzcv8
    cherylzcv8 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thankyou all for your replies....you are all on the same though line as me. Might just go there and decide then. :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    This. And no need to eat the mayo or cheese. And in general, do not finish the entire thing...
    If I'm going "all in" on a cheat/treat meal, you can bet that I'm finishing the entire thing. With the mayo and the cheese. And not feeling even one eensy teensy weensy little bit of guilt about it.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    If it was half-decent quality fish then I'd go the fish and chips, but as the takeaways around here tend to be more batter than fish and the chips are of the non-chunky variety I err towards a burger with the lot (eggs, beetroot, cheese, onion, etc) given a choice.

It's a health advantage to live in the semi-rural wilds of outer Brisbane, the takeaways are generally terrible ...

I'd go with the previous advice, it's a treat, just pick the tastiest one with all the trimmings (sauce, whatever) and enjoy it :)
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    So is it the fish and chips in a box or a large hamburger and half a box of chips????

...this is our takeaway outing treat, so its something we enjoy, i am trying to work out which would be the better of the bad options.

Well, treats are treats. Eat what you like. If it were me I'd eat the fish and chips (yumm!) simply because I can make a burger and fries at home (just did tonight, well no fries). But I can't make that delicious fish at home.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Order both and share.
  • cherylzcv8
    cherylzcv8 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i went with the fish and chips,ended up picking off the batter and ate probably about 3/4 of the chips. oh and i even had a chocolate bar. Yes i did go over on my calories and only 2 over on my fat so im happy with that. Thanks again for your input.