HELP! Need food ideas for husband during radiation treatment

Options
peachezncreme
peachezncreme Posts: 60 Member
My husband is halfway through radiation treatment for lymphoma, and his mouth is full of sores and he has very little sense of taste and a very sore throat. Because it pains him so much to eat, I need some food ideas for him that are packed with nutrition and healthy calories so he isn't just drinking milkshakes. He can't have anything salty or acidic, either. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• jannym77
    jannym77 Posts: 1
    Options
    Two things.... One is Tea Tree Oil - it is an essential oil that can be mixed with water. I got mine from a beauty salon that carried this type of oil, and was talked into trying it. I mixed it with water and put it in a small spray bottle for my husband when he was going thru Chemo and it soothed the sores in his mouth and gums enough that he could handle a bit of food. It was amazing and the nurses were all very impressed, they were spraying it in his mouth when I wasn't there.....

A great Recipe Book: One Bite at a Time by Rebecca Katz - a chef who wrote this for Cancer survivors and their friends. The Recipes are all designed to not only be palatable but easy to eat and very tasty, whetting their appetites with foods that are nutritious and easy on their systems.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    what about things like rice or bread pudding, custard, mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, soup, jello, greek yogurt, chicken and dumplings, beef stew, chicken pot pie, risotto, miso soup? bland but tasty, simple, easy to fix, and easy on the throat...