Perseverance, what does it mean to you?

Options
So many times I make a goal, and fail then try again and again only to fail over and over again. But for some reason I keep trying. I keep learning from my mistakes, and little by little I become more than what I was before. I've trained all my life, and there have been times where I've quit training, and become over weight. But because I've been in great shape before I know what to do to get back where I've been, and even beyond. Lately I've let goals, and circumstances get in the way of my health so I'm making changes, and getting back in the right direction once again.

Replies

• Iluvmy3kidz
    Options
    Congratulations and good luck to you!!
  • bribear20
    bribear20 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Perserverance is being stubborn enough to always give it one more shot. Sounds to me like you're doing a good job of perservering. :smile:
  • sillyjeepgirl
    Options
    I've had similar issues. I've worked really hard and stuck with a diet and a workout routine for a long period of time and due to outside circumstances I allowed myself to get distracted. I haven't been motivated to continue to work out in years. But I'm taking my opportunity to really push myself to keep it up. :)
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Pererverance is jumping on here each an every day and logging success as well as failure. I'm not 100% perfect by any means and there have been days when I haven't logged my diary...but I HAVE logged in so I KNOW what I have and have not done.

Perserverance to me is trying and trying, knowing I'll get there, even if I have a setback or two or three.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Good for you :)

I guess for me perseverance means accepting unexpected obstacles, and turning my ****ty feelings about them around FASTER. Which I think involves: not being bullish about my original goal when it can't work. Staying open to new ways of doing things. Being patient. Focusing on process, and not the big-deal meaning of the goal re my whole life, especially when the end-goal's a long way off.

Thank you for asking, that was useful. Good luck to you :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Your know what makes me made about MFP is the stupid 1200 posts or the stupid why cant I lose weight posts get 100's of response, but the posts that really count like this one only get a few.

I'm at that cross roads right now. I'm not seeing any progress and want to really give up. I dont feel any joy right now. It's more hard work than success.

Perseverance for me is that you continue to push foward despite seeing no instant reward in hope that the reward at the end will be great. It would be so easy for me to say f_ck it right now and just go binge. The day in and day out fight gets tiring. Crossroads which route will I take? Will I persever with the current road?
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    It means that even when it seems there is no way: finding the way.

It takes creativity and imagination sometimes and getting out of your comfort zone.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Well done.

Perseverance to me is not giving up when others would. Keep your eyes on the prize!
  • MichaelBrewer2634
    MichaelBrewer2634 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I don't know why I never thought about using this site for friendship, and motivation. I'm isolated much of the time, and it is great to write to people with the same interests instead of arguing on Facebook with people about any simple topic.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    One foot in front of the other. Even if it's a slow, dreary trudge through the day, just one. foot. in front of. the. other.

Never denying what I'm feeling, but always trying to make the best possible decision about what I'm feeling. Reaching out to others, even if what they say doesn't help. Finding safe places to talk about things.

And sometimes just realizing that I'm gonna have days where I sit down and go "**** it." Life goes on. What else is there to do?