What other language would you like to learn?

Options
2»

Replies

• WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    ^ Certified jealous.

If I knew Mandarin I would be set for life.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to be learning German at the moment, as my husband wants to go and live in Germany. And I really need to learn to speak Arabic properly. I know enough to get by but really there's a lot of room for improvement.

If I could learn *any* language that has *ever* existed, I'd like to get into a time machine and go and learn the earliest human language, which would probably be Homo erectus language, but who knows exactly when humans started speaking in actual language (as opposed to just grunts, pointing and a few words, although even that would be interesting to study from a scientific point of view. I'd also like to learn a neanderthal language (they probably had a whole bunch of different ones, any one of them would do). No practical use for this whatsoever, I'm just interested in this kind of thing, and a PhD thesis would be nice lol

Oh my word, your post was totally off the wall---in a really wonderful way, then I read your username and totally busted up. I take it you're interested in ancient human ancestors! so awesome. I read a really great book about early language called The Unfolding of Language. Could not put it down.

thanks :) yes I'm a palaeoanthropology nerd :) find the whole subject totally fascinating. The origin of language is really interesting, although it's a lot harder to find evidence for, because language itself doesn't fossilise. I'm inclined to think that it started to evolve quite early on and that Homo erectus had some form of simple language at least. But of course it's one of those fields where there's a lot of disagreement. Some people think the neanderthals didn't have language... well I'd challenge those people to teach someone how to make a spear or clothes like those of the woman in my avatar, without using language....

Totally fascinating topic :) I could go on for hours but don't want to hijack the thread lol
  • Hoop4la
    Hoop4la Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i speak fluent french ... i started to learn italian as I was working in Italy a lot and it is a beautiful fun language .. and now they have moved me to Germany so I am learning that . Fortunately I love languages ....

I would really like to learn Welsh !! it is a wonderful language and so different form anything else . I learnt it at school but would love to be fluent
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    if those are my only two options then Mandarin, but I'd rather learn Spanish fluently (can get by now)

i can teach you

Great! I can teach you Italian!
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I want to finish learning Spanish and then learn Italian, since they are so similar I have been told they are easy to learn both. Then, maybe French.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    i am fluent in 4 languages, i am studying german now but have a long way to go.....i would like to learn english too....hehe
  • Ayirela
    Ayirela Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Japanese, number 1 because it's sexy and number 2 so I don't have to read subtitles when watching anime :)

I'd also love to learn Mandarin. :)
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Spanish