Calorie Help!

Options
Background info: I'm 23, 5'1", and currently floating anywhere between 159-162 with a goal weight of 125-130. I have my current calorie goal set at 1300 and I eat back any calories I burn during workouts (I try to work out 3-5 days a week). Am I consuming enough calories? I haven't had any change in my weight and read that sometimes you need to bump up your intake in order to lose weight. Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: TDEE is 2059 and BMR is 1529

Replies

• Ddezi88
    Ddezi88 Posts: 3
    Options
    How long have you been working out? Sometimes you just have to wait awhile to burn some pounds. I wouldn't recommend bumping up your calorie intake just yet. Are you eating the correct foods? If so you are most likely not counting your calories with 100% accuracy (a very common mistake but unfortunately can stop loss) also you're deff. Not caculating how many calories your body is burning accurately, that is near impossible to do with being hooked up in a laboratory. Your Metabolism goes far beyond your weight, fat and muscle %! There is no way you can tell how many calories you burn by doing a math formula. Try eating a little less, more nutritious, more veggies and workout moderately with more resistance training vs cardio... Make sure your protein intake is between 1-1.5 gm per kilo of body weight. No more no less
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Background info: I'm 23, 5'1", and currently floating anywhere between 159-162 with a goal weight of 125-130. I have my current calorie goal set at 1300 and I eat back any calories I burn during workouts (I try to work out 3-5 days a week). Am I consuming enough calories? I haven't had any change in my weight and read that sometimes you need to bump up your intake in order to lose weight. Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: TDEE is 2059 and BMR is 1529

My understanding is that BMR is what it takes to keep you alive if you're in a coma. Not walking around, eating, moving your body in any way at all. So that in in combination with your TDEE/BMR info above and the statement that your goal is set to 1300, then the answer would clearly be NO, you are not eating enough calories.
  • amata08
    amata08 Posts: 18
    Options
    How long have you been working out? Sometimes you just have to wait awhile to burn some pounds. I wouldn't recommend bumping up your calorie intake just yet. Are you eating the correct foods? If so you are most likely not counting your calories with 100% accuracy (a very common mistake but unfortunately can stop loss) also you're deff. Not caculating how many calories your body is burning accurately, that is near impossible to do with being hooked up in a laboratory. Your Metabolism goes far beyond your weight, fat and muscle %! There is no way you can tell how many calories you burn by doing a math formula. Try eating a little less, more nutritious, more veggies and workout moderately with more resistance training vs cardio... Make sure your protein intake is between 1-1.5 gm per kilo of body weight. No more no less

I've been working out for about 3 weeks. I tend to have a sandwich or something light for lunch and then for dinner I make sure that half my plate is veggies and that I have either chicken or fish for dinner (working on adding in breakfast, but I usually just wake up and rush off to class in the mornings). When entering my calories I also estimate over for consuming and under for burning. I don't know if that's what I'm supposed to do or not.

My understanding is that BMR is what it takes to keep you alive if you're in a coma. Not walking around, eating, moving your body in any way at all. So that in in combination with your TDEE/BMR info above and the statement that your goal is set to 1300, then the answer would clearly be NO, you are not eating enough calories.

So should I bump my goal up to 1400-1500? I really have no idea what I'm doing and want to make sure that I'm giving my body the right amount of calories it needs.
  • Ddezi88
    Ddezi88 Posts: 3
    Options

I've been working out for about 3 weeks. I tend to have a sandwich or something light for lunch and then for dinner I make sure that half my plate is veggies and that I have either chicken or fish for dinner (working on adding in breakfast, but I usually just wake up and rush off to class in the mornings). When entering my calories I also estimate over for consuming and under for burning. I don't know if that's what I'm supposed to do or not.

So should I bump my goal up to 1400-1500? I really have no idea what I'm doing and want to make sure that I'm giving my body the right amount of calories it needs.

Then you are not calculating correctly, taking in calories elsewhere, or actually burning a lot less than you think. Again it is impossible to truly only eat 750 cal a day and not lose weight unless you are only burning 750 cal a day. In that case you have a major problem. Play around with your diet see what works for you. Make sure you stay on it 24/7 if you're good 5 days and bad 2 you can be counter productive. If you find you are still not loosing weight in a couple of weeks I would make an appointment to see your doctor. Make sure you do not have an underlying medical issue