Morning all :(

Options
Well first week I lost a whooping 6lb and was so strict and then the last 2 days I have binged etc and now I'm not feeling as great as I was 3 days ago.. So today I'm starting back stronger and stricter than last week... :)

Replies

• AndyLL180
    AndyLL180 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert. However I've spent the last 3 weeks reading the forum and there is a common theme for people just starting out... they cut their calories way down and start exercising.

That's a recipe for disaster and leads to binges.

My goal is only to lose 1 lb per week and I'm actually losing 1 1/2 per week without giving up much. I've cut out the grazing at the candy bowl at work, quite eating a lot of snacks at night, and exercising more.

Weight lose is so tough because you have to make serious lifestyle changes but the results take time to show up.

You need to figure out your bmr and tdee and eat accordingly.

A
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Just try to stay positive and get back on track when you get off it. That will happen, but recommitting is the best thing to do. This is a journey- and it has highs and lows. Hang in there!!
  • 19Sakura76
    19Sakura76 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    we all have bad days , I know that I do . but I just tell my self to forgive today and start fresh the next day. You can do this.
    add me if looking for new friends.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    You'll be ok. Make sure you eat some snacks during the day to keep yourself feeling satisfied. THIS in turn with help you feel less hungry when you have your meals. I think stuffing your face affects your weight loss efforts... just saying..
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady, it takes longer but it'll work better overall. Let yourself eat more (eat at a deficit from your TDEE, but don't starve yourself), eat your favorites in moderation, find workouts that you enjoy and can stick with on your tough days.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    you kind of sound like you are setting yourself up for a disaster. If you have a cycle of super strict eating followed by binging.
    Why not ease up a bit during the week so you don't need to have a binge? :flowerforyou:
  • bosulli1
    bosulli1 Posts: 33
    Options
    These things happen. As you said, just get back on the horse. But I wouldn't worry about getting stricter with yourself. I know for me, the thought of never having a cookie or ice cream or whatever again sends me straight to the fridge! Work in some treats on the regular and focus on the long haul. Good luck! MFP is a great place!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Unless you have just 4-5 lbs to lose, I suggest you be less strict, whatever that means to you, and adopt a plan that you can sustain for a long period of time. Losing weight requires discipline but not suffering.

And don't expect to lose 6 pounds per week. More like a pound per week.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    No matter how strict you think you can be, you cannot beat a hundred thousand years of evolved survival instinct. At least not without destroying yourself.

Less strict. More food. Be reasonable. Win.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    No matter how strict you think you can be, you cannot beat a hundred thousand years of evolved survival instinct. At least not without destroying yourself.

in other words, Aesop was correct... slow and steady wins the race.

http://www.storyit.com/Classics/Stories/tortoisehare.htm
  • scadgirl20
    scadgirl20 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing a few weeks ago and gained the weight back I had lost. Today I finally lost the weight again and plan on keeping it that way. We all have those moments. Just have to snap out of it and get back to it. You can do it :) Feel free to add me if you like :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

This.

If being too strict caused you to binge, why would you think that being stricter would yield better results? You're setting yourself up for failure.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Also adjust your expectations. 6 lbs was likely mostly water. You can't expect to lose that much every week. If you have a lot to lose you can expect 2 lbs per week. For most people 1 lb per week is good progress.