Do you feel like a loser when u walk?

Why do I feel like a total failure if I have to walk a little on a "run"? I am now up to running for a mile and then walking for 2 minutes and then jogging another mile. My pace is slow (12:45 -13:00/min mile). I just feel like I need to get my heart rate down some before I can continue. Should I just keep doing this and reduce the walking time to 1 1/2 minute then reduce again to 1 min and down till the walk is eliminated? OR Maybe a 10 minute run: 1 minute walk repeated several times? I know it sounds stupid, but with such a slow pace, the added time for the minutes walking makes my total pace look even worse. It doesn't help that my sister runs 7 minutes miles (but that's a jealousy issue :smile: ) Any suggestions for how to proceed? Thanks to all you runner graduates for all your wisdom to share.

Replies

• Trimi
    Trimi Posts: 57
    No, not at all. It's a good idea to rest a bit before picking up again (interval training). As you keep running, you'll find that you can run longer/faster while maintaining a lower heart rate than you currently do. But for now, take a break every once in a while and walk. If you still feel like you're not doing enough, increase your incline for some additional resistance when walking.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Run when you can, walk when you have to, resume running when you can. Repeat. That's how almost every single one of us had to start. There are no losers here.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Some people can only walk.

The important thing is to do what is strenuous for you and gets your HR up without keeling over.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Run when you can, walk when you have to, resume running when you can. Repeat. That's how almost every single one of had to start. There are no losers here.

Yup, I'm up to being able to run a 5K, but it's with a 14 min mile. Any faster than that and I have to stop and walk at some point. I'm not worried about the time at this point. That will come later.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    NO !
    I have never been able to run,
    I am still proud of my first 5K walk/run (2010)
    I was dead last but I did it!
    Be proud!
    You are working on YOU!
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Run when you can, walk when you have to, resume running when you can. Repeat. That's how almost every single one of had to start. There are no losers here.

This is excellent advice.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    No, I don't feel like a loser at all and this is why....

This is a run with walk intervals.

run-walk.jpg

This is a run without walk intervals.

just-run.jpg

There's not enough of a difference for me to give a damn. I've been running about 2 years now, and I prefer adding walk intervals. Sometimes I stop and take pictures with my phone. It makes running feel like play instead of work.
  • you should be proud of yourself, i can't run a full mile! keep it up and don't be discouraged!! :happy:
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member

Agree. 100%

My opinion is that running is really a sport where you are competing for and against yourself. Everyone had to start somewhere, and you can only get better as you practice!
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    I can't run at all, so I don't think that makes you a "loser" at all! I do want to start trying once the Ohio weather is decent enough for me to actually go outside, and I know I will be doing a LOT of walking in between my running for awhile. :)
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Go into a mall or a Wal-Mart and look at the average person your age and ask yourself how far THEY could run without stopping. You'll feel better!

Seriously- I don't train too hard at running. The most I'll do is 20 minutes at 5 mph on a treadmill, and even then I feel it in my knees. I'm 60 and still have my original knees and would like to keep it that way. Running is the most bang for your buck calorie- and cardio-wise but it beats up your body. You will be able to go longer and longer without walking with more training, but take care of your body. Some of us just aren't built for speed.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    You can also try doing intervals. I have found that doing them helps build me up both in distance and speed. I generally run 4 minutes at 5.7-6 mph and then walk 2 minutes at 3.7 mph. When I first started doing intervals, I was hard pressed to make it 2 minutes running at that speed.
  • Supern0va81
    Supern0va81 Posts: 168 Member
    1st thought - Nothing gets easier, you just get better
    2nd thought - I bet your sister didn't start running at that pace!

Stick with it, be strong, and stay motivated - you can do this!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    You've been a wannaberunner since December 2011. I think you should find a training program that will help you develop your ability to run longer distances. If you're worried about your heart rate, continue running, but at a slower pace. That is how you will build your endurance to run continuous distance more quickly.
  • Fit_Vixen1
    Fit_Vixen1 Posts: 419
    First of all, forgive my morning picture, lol!!!!!

But I would like to say that I can do straight crazy nonstop cardio for an hour straight. Running, however, I suck at!!! I cannot for the life of me run. And I don't feel like a loser, because at least I'm moving "briskly". However, I would love to be able to run. I see bigger people running & I tip my hat to them.
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    i never feel like a loser, and neither should you.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Huh? You are doing intervals.

I think your doing it right. I go on many runs were I run a mile, walk 1 minute. I don't feel any shame at all dropping down into a walk in front of people. They have no idea how far I have gone so far.
  • Just2Bhappy
    Just2Bhappy Posts: 113 Member
    Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must. Just keep moving. :) Your doing great.
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    not at all. usually taking a minute to walk keeps going.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Lol you are being hard on yourself! You'll get there!