paleo diet questions

Options
Can someone explain to me in Simplest terms what the paleo diet is? What are the guidelines, why is it beneficial etc... What is ok to eat and what is not?

Are you following it now, have you done it in the past? What are/were your results. How did/does it make you feel?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. THANKS IN ADVANCE EVERYONE. :-)

Replies

• dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    Options
    It consist of eating animal protein nuts fish fruits and veggies. Grains are completely eliminated because humans didnt evolve eating grain and processed food. I have done it for a few months and lost quite a bit of fat, really sucks not having carbs tho. im told it will help with internal inflamtion thus reducing water retention and increasing nutrient uptake, Honestly the low carb no energy feeling wasnt worth it.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    the mistake people make is going TOO low carb. Mark suggests shooting for 100-150g of carbs a day, .7-1g/pound of lean body weight of protein, and the rest as fat. (usually turns out to be about 50-55%)

the theory is that the body prefers to burn fat for energy, so give it what it wants. Even though it sounds crazy, you can't get fatter by eating this much fat if you follow all the other guidelines like eating the right TYPES of fat. It's a really solid plan for losing weight and getting in shape.

And the poster above is correct as to what kinds of foods are acceptable.
  • dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    Options
    the mistake people make is going TOO low carb. Mark suggests shooting for 100-150g of carbs a day, .7-1g/pound of lean body weight of protein, and the rest as fat. (usually turns out to be about 50-55%)

the theory is that the body prefers to burn fat for energy, so give it what it wants. Even though it sounds crazy, you can't get fatter by eating this much fat if you follow all the other guidelines like eating the right TYPES of fat. It's a really solid plan for losing weight and getting in shape.

^^^ this. heathy fats are a good thing, olive oil avacados stuff like that.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    No grains, legumes or dairy if you want to be strict Paleo.

I did it last year for 6 months and I've not felt better, nevermind weight loss, but then it reversed on me without a big change in diet or exercise plan. I just lost energy and went backwards so went back to a more balanced thang.

There is a tendency for people in this mindset to fear all carbs, some see The Primal Blueprint carbohydrate curve and see that they have to eat below x carbs a day or they are doomed to be a blob of lard, This is clearly bunk.

In the end it comes down to what is sustainable and what you can do to maintain the energy (calorie) gap. If cutting the processed stuff helps then great but it's not magic.

I took out of my experience the need for good protein sources and to not fear dietary fat. Or eggs. Obviously. :)
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Lol. Your advice is always dead on. Lol. /sarcasm.

Never listen to this guy. Ugh!

ah - and could you maybe propose better advice? because the advice I posted comes straight from Mark Sisson... one of the authorities on the paleo lifestyle.