What to put in the cupboards

Options
I am hoping that those of you with more experience of running a home and looking after your weight might have some guidance as I am feeling a little lost in choosing kitchen staples and healthy options to keep us going through the week.

I started my efforts on 1st January this year and we have gradually been getting through what we had in the pantry without simply saying 'out with the old and in with the new'. If you have any tips then I would be really grateful. There seems to be a lot of cake baking kit remaining but I would like to be able to look after us a bit better and start choosing healthy nutritious foods when we are in the supermarket.

I should probably add here that I've set a new goal today to tone up whilst slimming down incase this would affect your suggestions...Thanks for any suggestions xHx

Replies

• tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My kitchen staples are extra virgin olive oil, brown rice, multigrain pasta, canned tuna, whole grain bread, peanut butter, almond butter, and I always stock my freezer with boneless skinless chicken breast. I try to keep fresh fruits and veggies stocked up. I don't buy too much sweets or junk because if they're here...unfortunately I'll eat them. So my kids and hubby have learned to go without. Luckily they are all very supportive and want to eat healthy with me. Good luck!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    The things that are always in my house cupboards are onions, dried peppers, oatmeal, quinoa, dried beans, dried blackeyed peas, diced canned tomatoes, salsa- both red and green, popcorn, and several canned soups (usually Progresso or Health Choice when they go on sale).

The things that are always in my freezer are frozen blueberries, spinach, and some kind of whitefish (cod, tilapia, etc.)
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    In my cupboards:
    Natural Peanut Butter
    Canned Beans (Black, Red Kidney, Navy)
    Canned Tuna in water
    Popcorn
    Hot cereal

In my freezer:
    Boneless Skinless Chicken
    Venison
    Dark Chocolate

Fridge:
    Fresh Fruits & Veggies
    0% Greek Yogurt
    Salsa
    Taco Sauce
  • ecogranny
    ecogranny Posts: 24
    Options
    Mine are lentils red, and green (for soups, loaves or as veg replacement) chick peas, barley, gherkins, tomatoes,tomato puree, passata olive oil, chilli paste, garlic, ginger , Indian and Thai spices ,barley, rice,couscous, bulgar wheat (great in tabouleh salad which keeps for 3 days) and porage oats - good for cholesterol and also for using in baking biscuits/cookiee or fruit crumble by replacing a lot of the flour). Also in freezer peas, green beans rasberries and red fruits. I use Hartleys low sugar jelly......make to 14 ozs with 1 sachet. Put 50-100g of frozen/fresh fruit in glass ( 1 chopped orange with orange jelly, juice and zest from 1 lemon into the lemon and lime one etc) and top up with jelly. Fruits take away the artificial sugar taste. Husband loves them and he's a real pudding lover.
  • XRavenhood
    XRavenhood Posts: 102
    Options
    In my cupboards, from someone who is also trying to gain muscle and tone up and who just moved somewhere new:
    Grains: oats, jasmine and brown rice, quinoa, whole wheat crackers, rice noodles
    Nuts/Seeds: all natural: almonds, walnuts, pecans, ground flax seeds
    Legumes: lentils and a variety of canned beans
    Oils: extra virgin olive oil, sunflower oil, butter
    Sweets/Post Workout: luna protein bars for on-the-go, maple syrup, honey
    Fruits: bananas, frozen fruits and berries
    Vegetables: carrots, celery, lettuce, spinach, kale, bell peppers, onion, garlic
    Fridge: greek yogurt, almond milk, eggs, hummus, cottage cheese, olives, vinaigrettes
    Other: canned tuna, raisins, canned tomatoes, whey protein powder

I noticed how taking flour out of the cupboard significantly helps me deal with my sweets and baked goods cravings, since I love to bake and usually can't control myself from eating a whole pan to myself. Keeping addictive foods out of your cupboards is definitely the way to go.
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    In our food cupboard, (we also have the baking cupboard) there's canned fish (tuna and mackerell), canned vegetables (tomatoes, beans, corn and pickles), oil (rapeseed and coconut), rice, pasta, some salsa and pureed tomato and various jams.

And for some reason there are two jars of honey... One of which should really be thrown out, but it smells vaguely alcoholic and I'm curious about how it'll turn out after a few more months/years.
  • Supern0va81
    Supern0va81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    We must have been overspending on the wrong types of things for ages :( We have a tonne of preserves and dried fruits that l think will last forever! It also seems impossible to eat 5 - 7 portions of fruit and veg each day hmmm
  • TheTrimTim
    TheTrimTim Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    In addition to the above suggestions, I love (tinned) grilled sardines on rye bread.
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    bump
    but my list has started with spinach, quinoa, frozen and fresh veggies & fruit, canned beans, canned tuna and chicken, chicken broth, evoo and sweet potatoes
  • NotBuyingIt
    Options
    It all depends on what you use most often that stores for a long time. I like to make hummus of various varieties, I keep dried chickpeas on hand and soak them in a solution of water and baking soda (not baking powder!) overnight. I'll use different vegetables to add to it to make something different every time (beets, avocados, carrots, etc.) and of course whole veggies or bread to go with it. I also keep other easy cooking dried beans such as yellow and red split peas/lentils for soups made with pumpkin (another great staple) and coconut milk. Other than those, quality dried spice mixes from Indian, Arab or specialty stores; long keeping veggies like beets, potatoes, onions, garlic, carrots, my favorite nuts, madjool dates. I also keep coconut oil for it's health benefits, temperature endurance and beauty applications. Avocados make an excellent butter and sandwich spread replacement with a dash of black pepper. I do drink coffee with homemade nut/seed milk, but I keep herbal teas on hand to counteract that. I also keep unrefined sugar and unrefined salt (usually turbinado sugar and real grey Celtic sea salt/Sel Gris from a sustainable initiative in Africa). And don't forget the raw apple cider vinegar:)
  • wilki089
    wilki089 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My staples are:
    In the cupboards:
    raw almonds, walnuts, flaxseed (sprinkle in smoothies or oatmeal), old fashion oats, brown rice, whole grain pasta, cake mix (yeah, I know. I mix it with greek yogurt, pureed pumpkin, or coke zero and bake--Yum much less cals than the package directions. My favorite is the coke zero for chocolate/pumpkin puree for spice cake/sprite zero for all other), dried cranberries, canned fire roasted tomatoes, canned black beans, kidney beans and white beans, canned veggies for when the hubby attempts to cook, whole wheat tortillas, whole wheat sandwich bread, Tons of spices, Honey (great with cinnamon on whole wheat bread), Stevia drops, xtra virgin olive oil, coconut oil.

In the freezer:
    Boneless skinless Chicken breast, shrimp, salmon, talapia, turkey breast, pork tenderloin, lean ground beef, broccoli, corn, veggie steamers-no sauce (great to grab for work), green beans, lima beans, edamame, strawberries, bananas, occasionally smart one steamer bags.

Fridge:
    Onions, green peppers, celery, spinach, broccoli, mixed greens, tomatos, mandrin oranges, apples, kiwi, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, green tea, skim milk, variety of low fat cheese (love baby bell minis and laughing cow), 0% greek yogurt, eggs, turkey, tuna, pickles, carrots, zucchini, lemons, lime, garlic, avacados.

I do keep some stuff for the kids but I usually buy things that they like but I don't so I don't get off track. They will eat the majority of the healthy stuff but they still want to have kid food too.

Good luck!!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Cupboard:

Sweet potatoes
    Chia seeds
    Zero noodles
    Organic quinoa
    Spicy lentil cup soup
    Evoo
    Bench pressed oats( basically oats with banana and whey protein pieces, no sugar)
    Peanut flour( mix into greek yoghurt for peanut flavour at lower cost than pb2)
    Agave nectar
    Endless herbal and fruit teas
    Organic hot chocolate powder
    Spices and seasalt
    Wholegrain mustard
    Dried mango
    Canned tuna and mackerel
    Carob powder
    Cocoa powder
    Caro drink
    Earl grey tea
    Black rice
    Brown rice
    Canned beans
    Dried beans
    Dried green and red lentils
    Canned corn
    Stevia drops

Fridge:

Cottage cheese
    Low fat greek yoghurt
    Full fat greek yoghurt
    Mozzarella
    Hazelnut milk
    Duck eggs
    Chicken eggs(free range)
    Milled flax
    Hemp
    Steambag vegetables
    Beetroot
    Plum tomatoes
    Cream cheese
    Mangetout
    Emmental cheese

Freezer:

Skinless, boneless chicken breasts, free range,
    Wild alaskan salmon fillets
    Frozen mixed berries
    Smoked salmon
    Dark chocolate
  • Supern0va81
    Supern0va81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am loving this thread as a resource and can see it being used time and time again. The trolly looked a lot healthier today and I am pleased to say that we were under budget too - wohooooo :D

edited because I can't sppell/type ;)