Heart Rate Monitor or Fit Bit?

Options
I'm just getting started on my journey and have been exercising and eating healthier for the last 5 weeks with the ultimate goal to lose 125 lbs. I see several people at the gym with heart rate monitors and fit bits and would like to purchase something that gives me a more accurate idea of how many calories I'm burning.

For those of you that have one or the other, I'd love to hear the pros and cons to each and what you'd recommend. Thanks!

Replies

• ms_luciana
    Options
    Well I had the same question and ultimately ended up purchasing both. I got the fitbit Zip model and wear it everyday. It's awesome in that it tracks your steps and calories burned based on wieght and height. I'm definitely motivated to move more.. Even find myself pacing while brushing my teeth.. Haha. But I also wanted a new HrM. Soooo I purchased the Polar Ft4 model and that's been nice also. For just starting out I would say get the fitbit right now.. And definitely get the HrM as well once you're really hitting some cardio. They can be worn together and the fitbit counts all your steps on the treadmill too.

Hope this helps :)
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have both. The Fitbit is great for tracking my daily activity...I have a pretty active job that puts me into the very active activity level on work days. The HRM (Polar FT4) is better at tracking my cardio which I like to do on an elliptical. Fitbit tends to underestimate that type of cardio by about 50-100 calories....not sure yet about outdoor running.

Also the HRM is better at tracking circuit training type exercise than the Fitbit is. But I don't use either for weight lifting which burns very few calories (about 160/hour)...Fitbit underestimates and HRM way overestimates.
  • drlaurafsu
    drlaurafsu Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have both also and use them for different reasons. I use my Fitbit daily for steps, stairs and sleep tracking. I use my HRM for specific workouts like when I do Combat, Insanity or weight training as the Fitbit doesn't really measure those well. Biking would be another area the Fitbit doesn't monitor. I wear both at the same time but override the Fitbit steps with the HRM calorie burn during those workout times. MFP makes it easy to use both.

If you are just getting started working out and are mainly doing the treadmill or even the elliptical I would invest first in a Fitbit. As you progress and get into more intense workout then add in a HRM.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Or you could get a Body media Fit- for all day wear. Do a search on here to find out more info.