Just moved to the fattest state in the union!

Options

Replies

• aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Mississippi makes me hungry.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I find it very funny that the people posting about me being judgemental are assuming my ignorance to southern culture. In actuality my WHOLE FAMILY have been in the deep south for more than 30 years with my parents being the latest transplant over 15 years ago, I have 9 neices and nephews who were born and bred along the gulf coast, 5 of which are adults now. I moved here to help care for my disabled parents and make their house more accommadable to their disabilities. When I speak to people around here I am very sensitive to the trials of the area and religious and family values (that northerners also have!)!

Btw yes, I have noticed that the selection of produce and "healthy" food selection at the local supermarkets is severely lacking, but stores would go bankrupt if they tried to sell items that just dont sell.

well your original post didn't exactly scream sensitivity...
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I find it very funny that the people posting about me being judgemental are assuming my ignorance to southern culture. In actuality my WHOLE FAMILY have been in the deep south for more than 30 years with my parents being the latest transplant over 15 years ago, I have 9 neices and nephews who were born and bred along the gulf coast, 5 of which are adults now. I moved here to help care for my disabled parents and make their house more accommadable to their disabilities. When I speak to people around here I am very sensitive to the trials of the area and religious and family values (that northerners also have!)!

Btw yes, I have noticed that the selection of produce and "healthy" food selection at the local supermarkets is severely lacking, but stores would go bankrupt if they tried to sell items that just dont sell.

You are the one who call it a culture shock, thats why people think you are ignorant to the southern culture.
    just saying.
  • ljb415able
    Options
    wow i had no idea it was like that down there! lol,,, so not funny! ,,
  • aaronlawrenc
    Options
    If everyone were skinny, we'd all be trying to get fat....
  • ljb415able
    Options
    true!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Just an FYI - your first post did not come across this way AT ALL.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Only a Yankee would assume someone offering a ride means promoting laziness. It's called southern hospitality. They're trying to be nice.
    Wow way to insult a massive group of people based on one persons individual experience. Luckily I don't find you to be a representation of most 'southerners'.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can organize a "school walk" group with the kids in your neighborhood? You could plug it as they'd be safe walking with you (and maybe other parents who want to join), and it would be a great way for your kids to make new friends. I bet the kids would love walking to school if they had other kids to walk with. They probably just don't think about it because their parents always drive them and that's the norm.

I LOVED walking to school with my friends every day. The school was about a mile from our house and took about 30 minutes since we were young and dawdled. :) We rode our bikes on nice days and walked in the winter. The bus wasn't even an option since we were within a mile of the school and the school district didn't bus kids who lived that close.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    This thread is awesome. I love absurdity and the absurdity of complaining about fat people on MyFitnessPal is delicious.
  • aaronlawrenc
    Options
    Everyone should try Carl's Jr's low carb 6 dollar burger with bacon and guacamole...Guacamole: that green stuff made from avacado for you crazy northerners....... Brought to you by Carl's Jr
  • aaronlawrenc
    Options
    I agree with "absurdity" guy
  • minihaha80
    minihaha80 Posts: 117
    Options
    Also, when I say NY I do NOT mean NYC I grew up and lived in an area that was known for agriculture where police would help a person in need, shoot I knew most of the police force (all of about 40 men and women county wide) on a first name basis and their families too! I lived in a beautiful valley between the Catskills and Berkshires! NYC accounts for less than 1/20 of the state. It was more rural there than it is here!
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    What is funny to me about this thread is that...people who were offended by what was said by the OP returned it with insults about the northern states and yankees.

I am from CT. I just moved to WA. EVERY SINGLE PERSON that I have met here has always commented, and more than once too, how polite I am. That I am always saying please and thank you, and always holding the door open for people, always going out of my way to help someone. A yankee doesn't equal an *kitten*.

OP - just be friendly to people, as I am sure you are. Offer what you know but don't shove it down their throats. Go to neighborhood events and socialize. Bring a dish to share (just don't offer to bring a southern classic like fried chicken and then make baked fried chicken, that would be like offering to bring philly cheese steaks to your neighbors in philly). Make the most out of your time there and enjoy the time with family and friends.
  • TotallyNotBillNye
    Options
    OP be like "aint nobody got time fo dat"
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    OP be like "aint nobody got time fo dat"

lol!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it leave. I've never lived in Mississippi, but I can say that I do not enjoy listening to someone denigrate a place to which they have moved. I can only hope that the people you live around return the favor and treat you with similar disdain.
  • minihaha80
    minihaha80 Posts: 117
    Options
    I personally think It was somewhat rude and a lil snobby, are there not fat people in Upstate NY, weird you just noticed obesity when you got to Mississippi. They maybe obese but they sure sound like they are very loving and protective people. Great Job Mississippi on that love thang.

No, there were obese people in ny, actually quite a few. The difference is that I have yet to find any even remotely healthy groups of people down here. There was a large farm to table movement in ny and there were large groups of people motivated toward creating a healthier lifestyle for their loved ones. Why are you so offended?
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Only a Yankee would assume someone offering a ride means promoting laziness. It's called southern hospitality. They're trying to be nice.
    Wow way to insult a massive group of people based on one persons individual experience. Luckily I don't find you to be a representation of most 'southerners'.

So now it's easy to understand how the OP seemed insensitive. It's ok for someone to run off about people being lazy since their from LA, but calling someone insensitive because they're from NY is not ok? No.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Read the OP's post. It's full of insulting a massive group of people based on one person's individual experience.
This discussion has been closed.