protein powder

Options
My nutritionist has suggested i have protein at every meal and protein with fruit snacks. I have quite a bit of protein but was thinkingabout adding some powder so i can make fruit smoothies (feeling fuller snacks). Im in the uk and have never ever used protein powder. can anyone recommend a good powder and ideas of howvto use it. Can i add it to my porridge type brekkie for instance.

This may have been posted a thousand times before so i apologise.

Thankyou

Replies

• jenniferchapman74
    jenniferchapman74 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use a high quality undenatured whey protein from Isagenix. Undenatured is the process in which the whey is extracted, cold-pressed instead of pasteurized (which is a high heat process that breaks apart the amino acids, not good!). I personally use the meal replacement shakes (Isagenix products are all on MFP) every day. You can get just the protein and make smoothies or put it the protein on your morning oatmeal. I do not eat any grains and have a high protein diet.
  • ThatCatholicGirl
    ThatCatholicGirl Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Try MyProtein.com for an excellent range of whey shake products that are really tasty and not at all grainy compared to a number I have tried from other manufacturers. They frequently have offers and deals on too. I don't use anyone else now. Hope this helps.
  • sharonmunday90
    sharonmunday90 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thankyou.

she also suggested pea protein ?!?!?!?

I have never tried protein powder in my life. Wish me luck.lol
  • Carolstone1959
    Carolstone1959 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    EVERYBODY has a different view on protein powder. It's a crazy hot button with some people so be prepared for a lot of confusing opinions. I like whey (concentrate) powder because it's quick, easy protein but try not to overuse it because of the high carb count. My protein powder is organic from grass-fed cows because that's my health priority. AND I happen to know this stuff makes a positive difference in my muscle recovery. Good luck!
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I use Bluebonnet Whey Protein Isolate, because it's sweetened with stevia instead of aspartame or other similar sweeteners, and it's from milk from grass-fed cows. And because I like the taste. It's about 116 calories per scoop, with 26 grams of protein. I don't use it every day, but I'm often low on protein, so when I am, I add a scoop to my greek yogurt, or make a smoothie. I don't eat a lot of meat, and I sometimes struggle with reaching my protein goals on dairy, eggs, legumes, etc, alone. Plus, it's a relatively cheap and nonperishable source of protein, and unlike soy protein doesn't interact with hormones.
  • TheTrimTim
    TheTrimTim Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I buy mine from MyProtein.com too. Great prices.

And for recipes, try proteinpow.com. The whole site is on recipes you can make with protein powder.
  • sharonmunday90
    sharonmunday90 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Wow thankyou everyone
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am just jumping in on the back of your thread OP. Hope you don't mind but:

I just opened my new pouch of My Protein Impact Whey powder. I measured out what it said - 25g - using a traditional scale as I don'thave one of their scoops. It was very watery?

The powder I used before was a Holland and Barrett whey - and when mixed to the 'recipe' was thicker, like a loose milk shake.

Has anyone else found that the My Protein shakes are always a thinner consistency or did I make it wrong?
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I like MuscleMilk because it's reasonably priced, tastes very good and contains both whey and casein protein. I mix it with a variety of things, including water, milk, greek yogurt, and oatmeal.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Go onto Holland & Barretts, I brought Whey protein the strawberry one

Funny enough I have just had shake, and I added museli to it...Oats, Nuts, Raisens etc, And it was quite tasty (Except I had to scoop the last bits out)

There doing a big whey for £20, Or sometimes buy one get one for a penny deal
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I am just jumping in on the back of your thread OP. Hope you don't mind but:

I just opened my new pouch of My Protein Impact Whey powder. I measured out what it said - 25g - using a traditional scale as I don'thave one of their scoops. It was very watery?

The powder I used before was a Holland and Barrett whey - and when mixed to the 'recipe' was thicker, like a loose milk shake.

Has anyone else found that the My Protein shakes are always a thinner consistency or did I make it wrong?

There should be a scooper, I thought mine didnt have one - But dig around : ) Its because not enough powder was added
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    i use PHD synergy, it's great, makes a thick shake and tastes amazing, where i've found maximuscle to taste like feet! :huh:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    my personal advice is that one should eat their protein...greek yogurt, chicken, steak, eggs, pork, cottage cheese, etc...
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey...for 3 reasons. 1) tastes good, and 2) mixes easily in water with just a spoon, so I don't have to mess with a blender and 3) works great in recipes (I make my own protein bars)

I like Double Rich Chocolate to drink, and Vanilla Ice Cream for recipes...