Eating back calorie advice needed

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'd try to net 1200. Eat the rest back if you're hungry. But you don't have to. Not everything works for everyone.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I have a very hard time with self-control. The diet itself has been very difficult for me. However, I have committed to putting everything in my mouth in the tracker, and I really don't want to see that red number there. So I can limit myself to my daily amount (difficult but not impossible). But when I add in the exercise, now I have xxx calories extra that are there. SO I eat them.

Or try this thought on for size: Maybe there isn't a problem with your self control. Maybe losing weight just doesn't require the kind of deprivation you THINK it should.

I know that was an eye-opener for me. "You mean I can eat all this... and still lose? FRICKIN' AWESOME!" I was still able to have half a pizza every week. I was still able to to have cheeseburgers and pasta and bagels and everything I had before, just in better portions. Because every other time I tried to lose weight, I didn't think I could eat any of that stuff. And every other time, I failed and gained.

You're supposed to be eating those calories. That's why MFP put them there. The extra calories aren't some kind of sneaky test of your willpower. They're fuel. Period.
  • mprat210
    mprat210 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have a hard time eating back my exercise calories too. I try really hard to at least eat half back. Eating just a few nuts or a tablespoon of sunflower seeds helps add in calories without being too filling. I have only been on MFP a little over three weeks but I really like it. It really makes you think about the kinds of food you are eating. It was, and it still is sometimes, hard for me to grasp the idea of eating so much food to lose weight. I am just eating so much healthier now so you have to actually eat more to get enough calories. In the beginning my husband wasn't the least bit interested in logging food and counting calories but now that he sees me losing weight and still eating, he is beginning to get interested!
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    MFP has it so you lose weight WITHOUT EXERCISE.

Lets say you set your goal to lose 1lbs a week.

Lets say MFP puts you at 1,300 calories without exercise. So you go out, exercise and burn 400 calories. 1,300 - 400 = 900 calories. This is how many calories your body is getting cause you burned off 400.

When you eat back the 400 calories 900 + 400 = 1,300. you're back to losing 1lbs a week.

So, MFP put me at 1200 because that's the lowest it will go, and resets to 0.9lbs/week.
    Also, my point is, I want to make sure I'm losing the weight. If I exercise and the elliptical says I have lost 300 cals, now I have "permission" to eat up to 1500. But I'd rather not eat them IF I AM NOT HUNGRY than just eat because I can.

My issue is really more a mental one than anything else.
  • Katetw
    Options
    You could set your activity level to sedentary (to lower how many calories you get to start with) and then that way if you eat a few back not as a big a deal. I think some people can eat their exercise calories, however, if you're eating and you're not hungry, that's not the purpose. If I think I'm hungry or unsure if it's hunger or want I will drink a glass of water or some hot tea or have some broth or sugar free jello. Not a lot of calories (if any) I put spoon to mouth a bunch, and then if I still feel hungry I know I am.

I do have my activity level set to sedentary. That is a good idea. A lot of what I used to do (before the diet) was mindless eating and I am trying to avoid those habits. I like the spoon to mouth with few cals idea. Thanks!
  • tammyvarley77
    tammyvarley77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Katetw
    Options
    The calories that it gives you back from exercising are needed by your body. If you chose not to eat most/all of them back, then you are more likely to push your body into starvation mode and it will start storing calories. I struggled in the beginning to wrap my head around it too, but since eating them instead of not, my weight loss and inches lost have been much higher.

Starvation mode is not real until you are at an ideal weight. http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501 is a good link, but more importantly, I discussed this with my doctor, because I was quite afraid of it. She said that basically if you don't eat enough your body consumes the fat. The problem is when you are at a healthy weight--it will go into so called (but misnamed) starvation mode and start consuming muscle which is obviously bad. If you don't eat enough then you do lower your metabolic rate, which is not the same.
  • Katetw
    Options
    I totally agree with this post and if you want more of a deficit, manually change your caloric goal so that the mind sees less calories. I have been doing a medical diet since the end of last July and lost 80 pounds, much older than you also. The clinic is very adamant about eating back GOOD calories. Good luck!

Thanks! I didn't even know I could change my caloric goal manually. I will have to look into that. 80 lbs is amazing! Well done!!!
  • Katetw
    Options
    This. Exercise is never a waste--it makes you stronger and fitter, and helps preserve or even increase lean muscle tissue, which increases your metabolism. Eating too little has the opposite effect: you'll lose muscle and slow your metabolism. Trust to the calorie deficit you set MFP for, and you can eat your exercise calories back and lose weight at exactly the same rate as if you ate your base calories and didn't exercise. Faster, probably, thanks to the effect exercise has on your metabolism.

Oh, sorry, yeah I know exercise is not a waste for other things. I was talking in terms of the weight loss.

Basically what I am hearing people say is exercise is NOT for weight loss though it has other benefits? Is that what people seem to agree on?
  • TrishaRN_74
    TrishaRN_74 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way: I try to stay within my 1200 cal allotment. If I exercise, then go over on my calories, I don't feel so bad. I am having a hard time coming to terms with my tracker saying I am not eating enough calories. 3500 calories = 1 pound. By eating 1200 calories (which is about 1300 less than I was eating) and burning calories through exercise, I know I am going to loose at least one pound a week. To make sure I am getting enough physical food to fill me up, I eat a lot of salads and veggies which are very low in calories, so I feel fuller.
  • Katetw
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! I think I will try something new: only enter 1/2 the exercise calories. If I am full, then great. If not, then I will allow myself to finish up.

Part of it is I don't want to over eat because I think the numbers the elliptical machine gives me are not too accurate.

Anyway, thank you all for your advice and suggestions! I appreciate you taking the time to read and respond to my post. Good luck to you all. :)
  • tjk71
    tjk71 Posts: 167
    Options
    You could always figure out your bmr & TDEE......take TDEE- 20%. Excercise is included so when you log your excercise change the calorie burn to 1 therefore no extra calories are added to your goal.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    This. Exercise is never a waste--it makes you stronger and fitter, and helps preserve or even increase lean muscle tissue, which increases your metabolism. Eating too little has the opposite effect: you'll lose muscle and slow your metabolism. Trust to the calorie deficit you set MFP for, and you can eat your exercise calories back and lose weight at exactly the same rate as if you ate your base calories and didn't exercise. Faster, probably, thanks to the effect exercise has on your metabolism.

Oh, sorry, yeah I know exercise is not a waste for other things. I was talking in terms of the weight loss.

Basically what I am hearing people say is exercise is NOT for weight loss though it has other benefits? Is that what people seem to agree on?

I am by no means an expert, but one thing I can tell you. Well, multiple things really, and things others have already said. You just have to decide if you want to hear the correct information, or only hear what you want to hear:

MFP sets you at a caloric deficit that reflects your goals to lose weight. If you are at sedentary, and then you exercise it is anticipated that you eat back your workout calories. So if you eat 1200 net, and work off 300, then you should eat those 300 back to get back to your 1200 net amount.

You should check out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 and learn a little something about BMR (what your body needs to function at its basic level) and TDEE (your max cal expenditure for the day) and then see how startling it can be to understand that eating back your calories, eating a good net calorie amount both equal weight loss.

I would like to think that you want to lose weight, and keep it off - which means sustainability. Your body might take you hitting less than 1200 net for a while, but it won't appreciate it in the long run and really there is no need to. Take it from someone who is currently working on that program and have lost 14 lbs since upping my calorie intake. I always eat back my workout calories. Why wouldn't you? It's food..

I am not a "live to eat" person, but I sure do enjoy the process of eating food and you can eat well, eat your calories, and not gorge or binge or pig out, or fall into the old ruts that got you into the position you find yourself.

Bottom line:
    Eat back your cals, never let your daily intake fall below what MFP has you set as a net amount, it's nonsensical. Exercise = more food you can eat and it will NOT hurt your weight loss. Good luck. :drinker:
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Surely the simplest solution would be just to wait until tomorrow to log today's exercise in today's diary? That way you can look back at what you burned but it won't give you the extra green number on the day you are actually in.

I don't think not eating back 300 cals is going to cause you too many problems but if you start exercising seriously you should consider eating some back if you don't want to fall short of vital nutrients.
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    you're supposed to eat back your exercise calories :) Problem solved. Nothing to feel bad about!

If you eat back your exercise calories then you don't lose that weight. The whole reason I'm exercising is to lose weight! So I don't want to go waste all that time spent working out.

It's more a mental issue, of I see I'm allowed this much and therefore I feel the need to use it up.

when you set up your goals, it automatically factors in your calorie deficit. SO, when you workout you need to eat back those cals to ensure you are fueling properly. There is a difference between losing weight and losing body fat. If you don't eat enough, you will not lose fat, but lean body mass (muscle). You will surely gain that "weight" back because not eating enough is gonna backfire. Guess what..that weight is all fat. So, not only have you lost muscle, but you've replaced it with fat.

unless you want to be limited to like 600 cals a day when you get older. If you're okay with that, then by all means, starve your body all you want.
  • Danny0950
    Danny0950 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    you're supposed to eat back your exercise calories :) Problem solved. Nothing to feel bad about!

If you eat back your exercise calories then you don't lose that weight. The whole reason I'm exercising is to lose weight! So I don't want to go waste all that time spent working out.

It's more a mental issue, of I see I'm allowed this much and therefore I feel the need to use it up.

Sounds like you've asked a question and ignored any answers you don't agree with to be honest.

Look at it this way, im currently allowed 1760 calories per day. If i stick to this whilst eating the correct foods i will lose around 2Ibs per week until i need to re-adjust the calculator. This is without exercise.

Using your logic, last Thursday when i burnt 986 calories i shouldn't have eaten more than the 1760 given to me originally. So in essence, you believe it would be healthy for a man weighing 240 Ibs at 6"1 to get through the day with just 774 calories?

Are you sure?
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You need to be NETTING your calorie allowance. So if you're allowed 1650 cals a day, if you workout, make sure you are netting AT LEAST 1650 cals.
  • sparrowuphigh
    Options
    Eat to your daily goal. If it's a day you need a little extra, know that you have a surplus to dip into. It really depends on your body, but I've found staying near may goal and maybe going over into my surplus a couple of days a week is probably the best course for keeping weight loss steady.
  • artex1024
    artex1024 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Eating them back doesn't work for everyone. I know a lot of people on here preach eating them back, but it does not work for me. I have been steadily loosing since Jan 6th (16 lbs down) by not eating them or barely dipping in to the exercise calories. SO, I am going to do what is working for me.

Editing to add: If I get to a point to what I am doing stops working, I would consider some extra calories and changing my exercise routine. But for now, I am doing what works.

Exactly how I feel. I log the exercise but I just don't eat back the calories. I like logging not only to see how much I did, but to have a buffer cushion in my calorie count so that I don't stress if I have an extra 100 or so calories in the day. It's like a bank account. i like to have a little to play with, but i don't just use it all. I just try to keep close to the protein goal.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1700-1800 cals a day and losing. :bigsmile:

The problem is if you only eat 1200 cals a day, will you be able to live on that the rest of your life??

Figure your BMR and TDEE -20% and eat that!!