What body type loses belly fat more?

Options
I am a pear shape with a pretty big belly. I have lost some of it but much more to go. Does the apple shape body which tends to have more stomach than thighs lose their belly faster or do you think it is pear shape that does???

Replies

• jlhill7
    jlhill7 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I think it def is NOT my shape LOL
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm pear shaped and mostly all I've lost of my 35 lbs is belly. I have a flat stomach when I lie down! No jiggle! :) That said, I'm not sure it has to do with the shape. I think everyone loses differently. My hubby has lost 50 lbs and it's mostly noticeable around his shoulders.. Weight loss isn't a precise science!
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm hourglass shaped and I have very little belly fat right now but still quite a bit on my hips, thighs, and butt. I definitely lose belly fat faster than anything else. My waist has gone down 4 inches and my hips have gone down only 2".
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I am an apple. My belly is where I have the biggest problem with losing. I lost weight in my chest, just my stomach still is to big. I also like to blame my shape on my mother and grandmother. I wish my stomach would go down!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I think generally it's first fat on, last off. For apple shaped me that meant my boobs were the first to go and my belly remained disproportionately large until the final 10 pounds came off.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I used to look like I was about 8 months pregnant.. now depending on the shirt.. 4-5 months pregnant..so it is going down but my lower belly is still pretty big.. I still have 50-60lbs to lose so I can't wait to see how much of that goes. I wish I could weight my belly fat so I now how much of my weight is from that..
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    i'm hour glass shaped and i have a good amount of belly fat, it's my least favorite part!
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Pear- you gain weight first in your legs thighs and bum and not your midsection and upper body and then they are the last one you lose too.

Apple- you gain weight first in your stomach and that's the last one to go

Do you get it? So if you are really pear shaped you should lose weight in your arms shoulders and your tummy first before your lower body. If you are apple its the opposite.

I'm hourglass and I gain weight pretty much balanced upper and lower body and the last is my tummy. I can have a pretty flat tummy at higher weight but my arms and legs and thighs and bum gain weight. And oh yeah my face too.
  • bclever13
    bclever13 Posts: 44
    Options
    It doesn't matter which body shape you have....as dumb as it may sounds one of the main foods that cause belly fat is believe it or not ....WHEAT especially WHEAT BREAD.....most wheat bread is made from enriched wheat flour which all in all is refined....if you want to eat wheat mke sure it says whole wheat not enriched wheat....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter which body shape you have....as dumb as it may sounds one of the main foods that cause belly fat is believe it or not ....WHEAT especially WHEAT BREAD.....most wheat bread is made from enriched wheat flour which all in all is refined....if you want to eat wheat mke sure it says whole wheat not enriched wheat....
    You could delete wheat bread completely and gain fat around the waist by just over consumption. Over consumption is why people are fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    Regardless of body type, it's gonna be genetics that determines how belly fat is lost.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

Wha... What? No! I... I don't even know what to say. Unless you have a gluten intolerance or allergy (or Celiac's) this is not true in anyway. No single food leads to more weight in any one place than another.

ETA: (with gluten allergy or intolerance I believe that is just bloating and other internal organ stuff, not fat)
  • lauren_3243
    lauren_3243 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm an hourglass shape, and the first place I noticed a loss is in my stomach, and to a lesser extent my face. It's too bad we can't pick where to lose!
  • bclever13
    Options
    What kind of doctor are you studying to be
  • bclever13
    Options
    I'm sooo sorry but it is true.....read the book called The Wheat Belly
  • Jennystimetolose
    Jennystimetolose Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm pear shaped and I had a big infact huge tummy that one day my niece asked me if I was having a baby :( ,she is only 5, I said no I'm just fat, anyways my tummy has gone down a lot but is still big, not for long though :)
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear shape. The weight came off my face, shoulders, chest, and waist first. I also lost quite a bit off my thighs. My hips/butt haven't changed much, but I didn't expect them to since that's where I carry most of my weight. I look like a bowling pin. ;)

It's pretty typical for you to lose quicker in the areas where you don't carry much fat, and the areas where you carry most of your weight are the last to go. That's simply how your body deposits the fat, and there's no way to change it, no matter what types of food you eat or exercises you do. If you develop your shoulders, though, you *can* look a bit more hourglass-ish. My friend completed Insanity recently, and she looks a bit more balanced now that she's tightened up and built some muscle. Before that, she had really tiny shoulders compared to her hips.
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    What kind of doctor are you studying to be

I'm a medical student and I believe that what you said also doesn't make any sense. I agree with Christina. Unless you have a gluten allergy it doesn't make sense that wheat causes belly fat. You know what causes belly fat? Overconsumption of ANY kind of food without burning them through exercise. I eat a ton of wheat and I almost have no belly fat.
  • bclever13
    Options
    Try DDP YOGA....not hard but very effective
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    hmmm...maybe I am hour glass...definitely not apple.. have lost stomach, hips, thighs, and chest..arms not so much...wish I could lost more on my arms..

don't you have to have a big chest to be hour glass?