Working Out With Injury

Options
Hi Everyone! I'm Amy. I've spent the last 7 years in and out of the hospital, surviving 11 surgeries, 3 bone transplants and a stubborn staph infection. (bizarre roller skating accident....long story) I got out of the hospital again 6 weeks ago. My right elbow and arm are permenantly impared. I will never be able to lift weights or carry thing with it. Right now, I can't even put my bra on by myself. But....I'm excersizing. I'm allowed to ride the stationary bike (30-45 min a day i do).....and walk. I try to also walk 3 extra miles a few times a week.

I'm getting bored because my excersize is limited. So I try to come up with interesting things. Like hiking up a steep hill in my neighborhood. I can't swim yet....but hope to one day.

Does anybody out there also have excersize limitations?

Have a Great Day...
Amy

Replies

• amyjoy
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I'm Amy. I've spent the last 7 years in and out of the hospital, surviving 11 surgeries, 3 bone transplants and a stubborn staph infection. (bizarre roller skating accident....long story) I got out of the hospital again 6 weeks ago. My right elbow and arm are permenantly impared. I will never be able to lift weights or carry thing with it. Right now, I can't even put my bra on by myself. But....I'm excersizing. I'm allowed to ride the stationary bike (30-45 min a day i do).....and walk. I try to also walk 3 extra miles a few times a week.

I'm getting bored because my excersize is limited. So I try to come up with interesting things. Like hiking up a steep hill in my neighborhood. I can't swim yet....but hope to one day.

Does anybody out there also have excersize limitations?

Have a Great Day...
    Amy
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    Amy,

I'm so sorry to hear about your skating accident. (((( hug ))))

I have not permanenlty injured an arm, however my mother found a water exercise (aerobics) class, that not only gave her a good workout; and helped her lose 60 pounds, but she became lifelong friends with the other ladies in her class. It is low impact, but you get a little bit of resistance from the water. Maybe you would be able to talk to your doctor and she/he would approve some type of physical therapy that would allow you to exercise your injured arm in the water a bit.

Under the category of TMI - a good way to put on your bra is to hook it first and then step through it like you are putting on pants. I leaned that one when I had full arm cast on for a fracture. You can raise both straps easily with your left hand.

Welcome, give myftnesspal a try.

~Cheryl
  • NTBoard
    NTBoard Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    So sorry about your accident! I had a life altering hockey accident about 4 years ago and after a few surgeries (still need at least one more) I live with cronic pain in my ankle and have no motion in it . When I am on it the ankle and leg bones grind together as I have no cartlidge. My ankle is at an angle as such that I have to wear shoes with about a 1 1/2 inch heel at pretty much all times or else it hyperextends my knee which is not a good thing. Exercise has been a struggle for me - I can do quite a few things but then I can't walk later (think having to crawl to the bathroom in the middle of the night). I found that for some reason a recumbent bike doesn't require my ankle to bend or cause me added pain afterwards so my hubby picked one up for me last month for my birthday. It's been a godsend to be able to exercise again without all of the extra issues. I haven't found a tennis shoe that will work for me so I ride barefoot. I guess that the thing is you just have to figure out what will work for you. I'm sad it took me so long - playing ice hockey 3 times a week had me in some pretty good shape - now I have over 60lbs to lose. :( For me, I'm really hoping that losing weight will take alot of pressure off my ankle and will allow me to live with less pain. I suppose I may have a problem with boredom at some point but I'm so thankful to have found something that I can do that I'm just enjoying being able to exercise at all. I do mix up my bike workouts - watch tv, read, different programming...

Best of luck and +++POSITIVE THOUGHTS+++ for you in your weight loss, fitness endeavors and recovery.
    (((HUGS)))
    Niccole
  • denimangel
    denimangel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your accident. But it sounds like you're on the road to recovery. I am suffering a knee injury right now. (work related after a surgery 5 months previous) I am limited to what I can do but I find that if I modify the exercises I can still benefit from them. Such as jumping jacks.. obviously the jumping will jar my knee and will not be good for it., so instead I do a modified wide leg squat (not going very low) and as I go down into the squat I move my arms up as in a jumping jack. There are many ways to modify the exercises.. I just experiment until I find what works. But I have found this program really works!! Keep your spirits up and think positive!!