Crying during exercise

Options
This is going to sound pathetic and I'm pretty sure my BC is farking with me but has anyone got really REALLY emotional during their workout?! Did C25K this morning and 2 laps to go, I felt tears welling up and a huge surge of emotion...and no, I wasn't in pain :laugh: it freaked me out tbh.

So anyone else had this or am I just a mental case? :wink:

Replies

• MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    The first time I did a back bend in yoga I cried because I was so proud of myself. Other than that, I don't remember crying while working out. And EVERYTHING makes me cry: music, commercials, frosting.....

Maybe it was adrenaline or something? You mentioned BC. Did you just switch BC?
  • PeauxPeaux
    PeauxPeaux Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yup -- I sometimes cry during hot yoga. It is a very intense workout---deep backbends, like Camel, can make me very emotional. I always feel like an IDIOT and try to pretend I am just sweating out of my eyes. I wipe my face with my towel and just keep breathing through it.

I also if I do cardio hard enough, long enough get really euphoric. Almost high. It is delightful and a huge motivator tro keep on the elliptical.

Good hard workouts make the brain release chemicals. *shrug*
  • skm1986
    skm1986 Posts: 4
    Options
    not to me but I could see someone being really proud of themselves and getting emotional. which if you are finally doing something for yourself you deserve to be proud it aint easy
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    The first time I did a back bend in yoga I cried because I was so proud of myself. Other than that, I don't remember crying while working out. And EVERYTHING makes me cry: music, commercials, frosting.....

Yeah I started Yasmin a month ago. Maybe a combo of that and the feeling of actually running. I've never run in my life and never thought it would get 'easier'.
  • LoonyLovegood8
    Options
    I almost cried while doing 30DS once, because my bedroom smelt of sick as I'd been sick earlier in the week and although it had been thoroughly cleaned I could still smell it and I was just getting frustrated haha. It was a bit silly really now I think about it, but it's not a nice smell.
  • catpea33
    catpea33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've had this before. I can't say if it was the endorphins from the run that just suddenly made me well up with emotion (like you, I once thought I'd never be able to run like I was) or if it was hormonal (like you, I was also on Yasmin at the time). Maybe we're both just basket cases though. :p
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

Wait...how/why does frosting make you cry? Its so delicious. ONLY if it's buttercream, that is.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    This has not happened to me personally, however I have a good friend who is a sponsored runner and she runs anywhere from 10-20 miles a day, sometimes more. She says every once in a while towards the end of her run if she is thinking about something important to her (like her dad's passing last year or financial issues), she will be overcome with emotion and cry. She's an emotional runner. I'm sure it happens to a lot of people.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    My clients cry all the time. Usually in pain, then in tears.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Sometimes after my pump class I feel really emotional...I think it's a mixture of my own feelings and the fact that we stretch to the song "Hallelujah". If I ever actually cry, I'm blaming it on the song.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I, too, have this happen occasionally. Something to do with the surge of endorphins, adrenaline, that sort of thing. It seems common enough. I try to use it as a release. You're not alone!
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    if i start thinking about too much about some of those purina or aspca commercials (or see one on tv) while i'm running sometimes i end up choking it back. i think we're just vulnerable because we've got so much attention and energy focused elsewhere.

also probably a little bit cause of the whole being women thing.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I cried the first time I did plyo p90x
  • jonswife0206
    jonswife0206 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are not alone ! Sometimes it's just an overwhelming feeling of doing well and listening to some inspirational music and just being pumped up.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    That happened to me once when I was jogging. A song came on and I started getting emotional and my throat started to get tight, but I pushed through it and got myself under control. I don't know if it was the song, or the fact that I had had a verbal disagreement with the fiance prior, but it was sudden and just odd.
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Yoga made me cry. Not from pain or pride, but our bodies are closely connected to our emotions. Emotions are not a separate entity, they are part of you through and through. As you move your body more, your emotions might surface. Overall it is probably healthy, but it can be difficult to deal with especially in public.
  • rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    There is no crying in weight lifting... swearing, yes.. crying, no
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yeah you are totally not alone! I am working out regularly and hard for the first time in like a decade and I think it's just pride..I can't help the crying. It started when I finished my first 5k. I got to the finish line and I was so embarrassed (from crying, not finishing!)--I just went behind a bush and sobbed. Then one other day I was running and that "This Girl is On Fire" song came on (which I wasn't even much of a fan of!) and...lots of sobbing. It was horrible...lots of people were out on this path and I was just crying and running. Then two nights ago I kicked up my kettlebell HIIT training to the max and was crying for the last five minutes (no pain per say, but definitely maximum exertion). I am not on BC or anything; I don't know what could account for it. I think it is just pure unabashed pride.
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    This is going to sound pathetic and I'm pretty sure my BC is farking with me but has anyone got really REALLY emotional during their workout?! Did C25K this morning and 2 laps to go, I felt tears welling up and a huge surge of emotion...and no, I wasn't in pain :laugh: it freaked me out tbh.

So anyone else had this or am I just a mental case? :wink:

You're definitely a mental case. You should see a psychiatrist immediately. ;)
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I've done it too. I tend to go into my head when I focus into exercise, sometimes strange memories, emotions, etc stir up and make me feel a little weird, sometimes tears have appeared.