Soy Sauce

Options
Yes? No? Sometimes?

I know it's very high in sodium, but in small amounts (let's say a TBSP, 3 times a week), is it that bad? Or is it best to avoid it all together?

Replies

• diaryofaskinnygirl
    Options
    I adore soy sauce, I have it all the time. I say go for it as long as you don't go too far over your sodium for the day.
  • Angie2822
    Angie2822 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think it's okay as long as you consume tonnes of water to balance the sodium out. I love it also and had no idea how much sodium was in it.
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes! It's a great seasoning but I don't ever cook with salt or put it on the table
  • adubyou
    adubyou Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    No problems at all with soy sauce and its many, many uses. How the heck else are you supposed to try and replicate Asian cooking?

As Angle2822 said, just make sure to consume enough water to balance out the sodium intake. It'll be fine. :)
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    soy's great. i cook a lot of japanese food and it's always in there. you can get low salt ones if you're that worried but i wouldnt be. generally its being used with lean meat or veges so don't worry, it balances ouT
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    it's fine but don't take too much.

High on salt and for male ...Soy contains lots of Estrogen so... lol you get the point
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    You can buy a low sodium soy sauce, or I prefer Bragg's amino's. Tastes just like soy sauce but is much better for you, get it at a healthfood store if you have easy access to one.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I cook with all the time.. Love it..You can get the low sodium one too..
  • Melissa132129
    Melissa132129 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine if you don't have too much. I have a recipe that uses soy sauce that I make at least once a week. I use it for a side dish to anything really ; P

Sesame Green Beans
    2 tsp canola oil
    2 tsp sesame oil
    10-12 oz bag of frozen green beans
    1 Tbsp soy sauce (I use reduced sodium)
    1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds

Heat your oil in a fry pan on medium heat and add in your frozen green beans. Cook for 10 minutes. (I like to put it on med high the last couple minutes to get a little brown color on the green beans) Then add in your soy sauce and stir in. Take off the heat and sprinkle the sesame seeds on top right before serving.

Serves 4
    About 1/2 cup each serving
    Yum!!!! They are even good cold ; D
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Love it!, but I also have the same issue with Marmite - loads of salt if you aren't careful!
  • terrib1980
    terrib1980 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there was a low-sodium version you could buy - just added it to my grocery list! Thanks for your opinions everyone :)