The rules of vegan clean eating

Options
kennie2
kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
Okay I want to start eating clean but I dont really know what I can and can't have

can i have rice? brown rice? what about pasta?
sugar? flour? and which types

but yeah so on, if anyone could tell me what is classed clean and unclean that would be great!

Replies

• TheTrimTim
    TheTrimTim Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why you won't eat meat?
  • kennie2
    Options
    its unethical
    dirty
    expensive
    and makes me want to vom
    however if i really need to i'll sometimes have seafood when eating out as not a lot of places do vegan food
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    its unethical
    dirty
    expensive
    and makes me want to vom
    however if i really need to i'll sometimes have seafood when eating out as not a lot of places do vegan food

LOL.
  • TheTrimTim
    Options
    If you won't eat meat due to ethics, that's one thing. The cost and the taste IMO are another topic. But I know we aren't answering your question. I think most people will agree that the best protein sources are meat and fish and eggs.

I'd go for whole grains, tofu, beans, lentils, and nuts to name a few.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    its unethical
    dirty
    expensive
    and makes me want to vom

Also now two longterm studies showing vegetarians live longer than those who eat meat, which is another good reason.
    One by Oxford University and another by Loma.

http://healthandnutritionmagazine.co.ug/?p=62

http://www.examiner.com/article/vegetarians-and-vegans-live-longer-healthier-lives-and-weigh-less-say-studies-1

http://www.llu.edu/public-health/health/lifestyle_disease.page

I am sure those with more access to research papers will be able to find better sources.
  • TheTrimTim
    Options
    [
    Also now two longterm studies showing vegetarians live longer than those who eat meat, which is another good reason.
    And there are no studies that show conflicting conclusions to this? Varied diets have to be best.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    [
    And there are no studies that show conflicting conclusions to this? Varied diets have to be best.

Not recent ones, that I can find, or longterm, decades long, as in the studies I referred to, though I would be interested to read if you find any.

I do eat some meat and fish, personally, but was a vegetarian for a long time.
  • kennie2
    Options
    Could we just get back to saying what I can and can't have instead of discussing something that's off topic ?
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Could we just get back to saying what I can and can't have instead of discussing something that's off topic ?

How about you use this wonderful tool called google to find your answers? There is far more information there than most here could provide in a post.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
  • Shadowknight137
    Options

How about you use this wonderful tool called google to find your answers? There is far more information there than most here could provide in a post.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

^Brilliance.
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    When you make this a lifestyle change idk if you are or not but You should not limit any food weither its clean eating or not, I mean Yes have less of the Junk but dont limit it all together, and clean foods, basics lean meats fruits n veggies, whole grains dairy, ect
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Okay I want to start eating clean but I dont really know what I can and can't have

can i have rice? brown rice? what about pasta?
    sugar? flour? and which types

but yeah so on, if anyone could tell me what is classed clean and unclean that would be great!

"Clean" eating would be different for everyone. But generally, you want to go for whole food (fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, healthy fat), no processes food.
  • Shadowknight137
    Options
    When you make this a lifestyle change idk if you are or not but You should not limit any food weither its clean eating or not, I mean Yes have less of the Junk but dont limit it all together, and clean foods, basics lean meats fruits n veggies, whole grains dairy, ect

...she's vegan. Dairy and lean meats are off-limits.
  • kennie2
    Options
    Don't you think I would have tried googling it first? I couldn't find anything clear. They're all pretty vague
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Aim for the least processed foods you can find. That's really what "clean eating" boils down to.
  • kennie2
    Options
    I get like the basics. What about like soy/almond milk? Tempeh? Seitan? Tofu? Is brown rice and pasta allowed?
  • kennie2
    Options
    @oldernotwiser that live strong link is brilliant! Thank you
  • JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Vegans cannot eat the following foods
    -meat (including seafood)
    -dairy products (cheese, milk, yogurts...)
    -eggs
    -hidden sources of animal-products such as gelatin
    -fish oil supplements
    -and I believe honey, though someone who is actually vegan can correct me if im wrong

As for the eating "clean" part of this, everyone has their own definition as to what that word actually means. I would just focus on eating a diet that makes you happy and satisfied. Just make sure to include flax and walnuts in your diet as a vegetarian source of omega-3s and take a b-12 supplement.

:happy:
  • danikanoodles
    danikanoodles Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Here are some good options

-Brown rice (white rice when brown isn't available)
    -Quinoa
    -Lentils
    -Peas & Split peas (split pea soup is amazing)
    -Beans
    -All other legumes
    -Tons of raw fruits & tender leafy greens such as romaine, boston & red leaf to name a few

Avoid processed and packaged foods as best you can.
    Plan meals ahead is always helpful. If you have a crock pot, they are great for making soups, stews and chilis. Saving lots of time as well.
    Avoid oils and stick to avocados, nuts and seeds for fats. Best saving those for dinner time to aid with proper digestion and use of energy.
    I know soy is a popular favorite among vegans but I personally don't believe it to be a health food. If you worried about protein(which you shouldn't as long as you are eating enough food) quinoa is an excellent source of a complete protein along with amaranth. There are debates that amaranth is actually better than quinoa. Both are an excellent source of protein and carbohydrates.

As for your sugar question. Not all sugar is counted as vegan(processed through animal bones) grocery stores like stop and shop, whole foods, co-ops & health food stores are carrying it. Amazon also carries it as well. Coconut sugar is a great one since it still carries the fiber and releases slower into the blood stream than regular sugar will. I sometimes add it to my smoothies in the morning. It is also great for baking along with date sugar.

Good luck!