How to make the most out of my workout?

Options
I'm a working mom and have a busy schedule. I've made the commitment to workout on my lunch break everyday. I started going to the gym back in November and make at least 4x week. I use my elliptical at home on the weeks.

My question is- how should I maximize my limited time in the gym. At first I was doing half an hour of cardio and then 15-20 minutes of strength training. I wasn't loosing weight so I've been spending my entire 45 minutes doing cardio.

I'm starting to loose weight finally... but I'm wondering if I should go back to breaking up my time between cardio and weights.

Does anyone have a suggestion? What would you do?

Thanks!

Replies

• raychulj
    raychulj Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Try doing a circuit combining cardio and weights for about 30 minutes. Example: strength exercise followed by cardio for 5 minutes between sets. I used to jump rope or do jumping jacks between strength exercises and the results were great. Hope this helps!
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'd go back to splitting your time between cardio and weightlifting. If you make a plan you can maximize your time better.. Maybe 20 minutes of cardio and then either combination lifts or targeting different groups of muscles each day (which is what I do). Monday is arms, Wednesday is legs, etc... Make sure you're giving your muscles enough rest and also make sure you're living heavy enough. 2-3 sets of 10-12 reps. The weight should be heavy enough that you'll feel like the last 2 reps are almost impossible.. Good luck!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Try High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). You should do the strength training first, with your full strength, then the cardio.
  • MichaelBrewer2634
    MichaelBrewer2634 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    HIIT definitely. Check out Bodyrock.tv. All it takes is 15-30 minutes a day. I've been a gym rat all my life, and for weight loss/muscle tone Interval training is the best thing you could possibly do. Also, proper diet is 80% of the equation. make sure to eat enough of the right calories. Good luck.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    If you're doing cardio at home on the elliptical, then stop doing cardio in the gym.
    Look at a beginners weights program like StrongLifts of Starting Strength. You'll easily be able to fit it in to your lunch hour including getting to the gym and showering afterwards. :smile:
  • bre8199
    bre8199 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I'm going to look at the HIIT right now!:smile: