Protein shakes, supplements and iron overdose...

Hi guys, I'm looking for a little help in directing me to the right product.

I'm 29, apart from being overweight, I'm pretty healthy. I'm also breastfeeding.

I want to build more muscle so I can burn fat better and tone up skin. I also want to find getting off the sofa a little easier! So i'm looking at low calorie protein shakes to have on my muscle toning work out days. I've read that I need to be careful with the iron intake and as I'm already taking multi-vitamins with iron (100% RDA in each tablet) I was wondering whether they would be the right thing for me. There seems to be a lack of information online (that I can see) about it and I know some of you are personal trainers/nutritionists/general smart-*kitten* so i'm hoping that someone sees this post and it doesn't slip down the page before......
I'm also aware that I may need to start eating prunes if I go down this route :D

Mucho gracious xxx

Replies

• Anybody???
  • chrisjathompson
    chrisjathompson Posts: 227 Member
    My protein shake doesn't have a lot of iron, but my multivitamin sure does. Maybe just look for a multi vitamin that is better balanced for what you need?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Before you decide to take any sort of protein supplement, you might want to discuss it with your doctor because you're breastfeeding. If she gives the all clear, then you may not need the multi vitamin.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    I'm on Pro Complete 40 which has very little iron in it, but then again I'm on iron pills. If you're looking into supplements while breastfeeding, please consult your doctor. Anything you consume can get into the breast milk and while it may be healthy for you, it could do some pretty nasty things for you child. Personally, I'd recommend waiting.
  • I like the multi-vits because I get the D complex and A so would definately prefer to keep taking them if possible. I feel a bit guilty about going to the doctor just for that.... maybe I could speak on the phone or something......

Thanks for the advice. I think I will chat to the doc first. In the mean time, I'm taking chicken breast to the gym with me.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    According to the info in this link, the upper-limit that's well-tolerated in an adult female is 45mg. The 100% of the RDA that's in your vitamin is probably 18mg.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/

If I'm reading table 3 correctly, the RDA for a lactating female is 27 (18+9 for lactation).
  • Yes, I just realized that 100% means 18 mg, but men (of a certain age) only need 8 mg or 44.4%, and some women as you say need 27 mg or 150%. So the upper limit that is safe is 45 mg for every adult category and less for children. That's 250% maximum for adults. I looked back over my report for the last 90 days and had two days where I was just over the safe limit at around 260%, but I only need 45% to get 8 mg.