Sugar from raw fruit

Options
2»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar as far as our body is concerned.

If a diet is high in sugars then the source of those sugars become more important. Sugars from natural sources contain the full matrix of nutrients like vitamins, folic acid, potassium, antioxidants, fiber, magnesium, iron and other nutrients like phytochemicals, phenolic acids, flavonoids which assist in metabolizing the sugar found in these foods. Refine sugar actually draw on our reserves of nutrients for those sugars to be metabolized and why refined sugar is sometimes called an anti-nutrient.

If a diet is balanced and we're getting all the nutrients it needs then consuming refined sugar isn't a problem, but if a diet is high in sugary foods from refined sugar, then there is a need for adjustment, just like any diet that isn't balanced of nutrients.
    I think it should be common sense if someone is consuming copious amounts of refined sugar, there might be some interference, otherwise no need to fear sugar.
  • jamieeas
    jamieeas Posts: 21
    Options
    All sugars are not created equally. For anyone to say that they are is vastly oversimplifying the issue. Sugar from raw fruit is much better for you than anything containing syrup.

Here's a decent article on the science behind the different types of sugar.

http://www.science20.com/michael_goran/issue_fructose_period-90840
  • cpudoc64
    cpudoc64 Posts: 135
    Options
    Well, all I know is I cut out almost entirely pop (soda, Cokes, etc..whatever) and I am certain it was a contributing factor to helping me lose the weight I did.